Is it possible to complete "An Elemental Fate" quest?

Makavcio

Prince
So, I was merrily tearing down homes of alien creatures on their own planet because of reasons, and then something unusual happened. My home-improvement team stumbled upon a cave under an alien nest they were redecorating. A quest called "An Elemental Fate" began.

I was tasked to build an expedition over the cave (the plot turned from an alien nest to "a-hole-in-the-ground" graphics) and when it was complete, I found a floating ball of xenomass. A robotic team was chosen to explore it.

Unfortunately, at that very same moment the quest failed because the nest had been destroyed. Let me remind you that the quest began when I destroyed the nest.

Is it possible to complete this quest?

I did the purity path of this quest and it failed the quest because my team 'detonated the floatstone deposits' or something :D

It was supposed to throw floatstone around the area as deposits but it didn't.

So, I was merrily tearing down homes of alien creatures on their own planet because of reasons, and then something unusual happened. My home-improvement team stumbled upon a cave under an alien nest they were redecorating. A quest called "An Elemental Fate" began.

I was tasked to build an expedition over the cave (the plot turned from an alien nest to "a-hole-in-the-ground" graphics) and when it was complete, I found a floating ball of xenomass. A robotic team was chosen to explore it.

Unfortunately, at that very same moment the quest failed because the nest had been destroyed. Let me remind you that the quest began when I destroyed the nest.

Is it possible to complete this quest?

I got this quest in my last game and did the same as you (selected the Supremacy option) with the same result (quest spontaneously failed for no obvious reason). I've seen elsewhere on this forum that this is a known bug dating back to the original release of Beyond Earth. So I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix any time soon. Which is a shame. It was an intriguing quest while it lasted.

If it happens again I'm just gonna nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

I managed to complete it once actually.. after you've selected your choice of affinity, you have to 'do the special move' thing. not reexamine the place with an explorer but use the special command now available.
You'll have to check what kind of unit you need exactly to do this as it differs per affinity.
It's the same as the quest with the probe that landed in xenomass, if you choose to save the xenomass, you have to 'remove wreckage' instead of examining the crash site again with an explorer.

It's been working fine for me--though I do have to remember to take the appropriate action with the appropriate type of unit (soldier, or explorer, or workler, whatever that option requires in a given affinity path), following the directions in the flavor text.

I did Supremacy and it revealed all the Firaxite on the map without giving me any. The Firaxite was rather far away so I ended up doing the Promised Land victory using those teleport satellites.

I've completed the quest before, so it seems to work when it wants to.

I also failed the quest the other day, because I destroyed a nest with an aquatic city, which obviously moved over the quest marker. But when I moved the city again the quest marker was back, and I could do stuff to it, but as I'd already failed the quest nothing happened.

I got this quest in my last game and did the same as you (selected the Supremacy option) with the same result (quest spontaneously failed for no obvious reason). I've seen elsewhere on this forum that this is a known bug dating back to the original release of Beyond Earth. So I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix any time soon. Which is a shame. It was an intriguing quest while it lasted.

If it happens again I'm just gonna nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

I've just reloaded my save to see if I missed a vital button. But no, its buggy.

I completed the initial expedition and was offered the three affinity-based options. I selected the Supremacy option again and was told to build an expedition on the site.

But for my explorer sitting on the site, there was no option to build expedition and no 'special move' button, so I skipped a turn and was then told that the quest had failed as the alien nest had been removed!

So for me the quest is still buggy, sorry.

I did the Purity ending I think and it gave the unit that investigated the hole some veteran ranks if I recall correctly. It was a submarine in my case.

It seemed to work for me as Purity in my last game. Initially the tile had 9 Floatstone under the nest, but once the quest had been completed the underlying Floatstone 'exploded' and was scattered around the central nest hex.

Spooky, check what kind of unit you need to send in, it might be that you needed a soldier or something to check out the cave.
Doing another expedition on the cave will result in failure.

Did you try to remove the miasma on the tile? I tried that once and it broke the quest for me. You can't do anything on the tile except what the quest tells you to do.

I think I just followed the flavour text to advance the quest. IIRC, I think the process went as follows:

1. Attempted to clear nest with military unit
2. Sent in explorer to set up an expedition on the uncovered cave
3. Sent in military unit to explore the cave (i.e. move in a non-worker/non-explorer unit and click the special button)

I know yours might be a specific bug, but I hope this helps.

Spooky, check what kind of unit you need to send in, it might be that you needed a soldier or something to check out the cave.
Doing another expedition on the cave will result in failure.

So I initially cleared the nest with a cruiser (it's an aquatic nest BTW). Then the cave appeared and I sent in an explorer to build an expedition, as requested. When this completed I was offered the three affinity choices and I've now tried all three:

1) Harmony asks for a military unit to enter the doorway (using the special move button, which appeared for my marine). I did this and the quest completed correctly!

2) Purity asks you to build a mine. I did this with a worker and the quest said it had completed and that floatstone was deposited in the area. But there was none, so that's a fail that thinks it's a success! (No extra floatstone appeared in my inventory either, I checked this too, just in case!)

3) Supremacy asks you to build an expedition in the cave. But as I saw every other time, there was now no explorer option to build an expedition. Just skipping a turn leads the quest to fail, stating that the nest has been cleared. But that's illogical as the nest had to be cleared at the beginning to trigger the quest in the first place!

I wonder if it's the fact that this all happens at an aquatic alien nest is the source of the trouble? (But then again, if the quest also fails on original BE where there are no aquatic nests, then that can't be the explanation!?)

Thanks for all the answers but the quest is bugged for sure. It failed the moment I chose an option. The cave is still there but the quest has failed without any action from me after the pop-up quest window close.

Good to know for the future that I may need a special unit to diddle it.

So I initially cleared the nest with a cruiser (it's an aquatic nest BTW). Then the cave appeared and I sent in an explorer to build an expedition, as requested. When this completed I was offered the three affinity choices and I've now tried all three:

1) Harmony asks for a military unit to enter the doorway (using the special move button, which appeared for my marine). I did this and the quest completed correctly!

2) Purity asks you to build a mine. I did this with a worker and the quest said it had completed and that floatstone was deposited in the area. But there was none, so that's a fail that thinks it's a success! (No extra floatstone appeared in my inventory either, I checked this too, just in case!)

3) Supremacy asks you to build an expedition in the cave. But as I saw every other time, there was now no explorer option to build an expedition. Just skipping a turn leads the quest to fail, stating that the nest has been cleared. But that's illogical as the nest had to be cleared at the beginning to trigger the quest in the first place!

I wonder if it's the fact that this all happens at an aquatic alien nest is the source of the trouble? (But then again, if the quest also fails on original BE where there are no aquatic nests, then that can't be the explanation!?)

Well, Floatstone typically requires a quarry, not a mine. And can you even build mines on nonresource tiles in the ocean?

Well, Floatstone typically requires a quarry, not a mine. And can you even build mines on nonresource tiles in the ocean?

Good point, I didn't spot that.

But when you select the Purity option on the quest, it specifically asks you to 'mine the floatstone' and when your worker arrives there is no option to build a quarry, but there is a mine option with the tooltip 'mine floatstone in cave'. So it's customised for this quest.

When I hit the 'mine' button the quest did 'complete' immediately, only I didn't get any floatstone reward. I checked and at no point was there any floatstone on that tile either, just 'cave' and 'coast'.

Top Bottom