Is it possible to do this?

arstal

Say No 2 Net Validations
Would it be possible to take ranged combat away from barbarians? one of my annoyances with Orbis is the Gargoyles and Goblin archers shooting at scouts, and keeping them from scouting automatically.

Gargolyes have raged attacks?

The easiest way might be to give all Barbarian units a promotion with a negative <iAirRangeChange> value.

Something like this maybe?
Code:
        <PromotionInfo>
            <Type>PROMOTION_BARB_RANGE_BLOCK</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_BARB_RANGE_BLOCK</Description>
            <iAirRangeChange>-1</iAirRangeChange>
            <bGraphicalOnly>1</bGraphicalOnly>
            <Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Hauntstalk.dds</Button>
            <bAutoAcquire>1</bAutoAcquire>
            <bMustMaintain>1</bMustMaintain>
            <bNoXP>1</bNoXP>
            <PrereqbAllowNULLUnitCombat>1</PrereqbAllowNULLUnitCombat>
            <PrereqCivilizations>
                    <PrereqCivilization>CIVILIZATION_BARBARIAN</PrereqCivilization>
            </PrereqCivilizations>
        </PromotionInfo>

Having just started playing CIV4 and FFH (boyfriend finally convinced me to start playing CIV4 and am now hooked) I'm not sure where to put this code (what file to open, etc.). My boyfriend has never edited any of the game code either, so I just don't want to screw up the game.

I'm finding since I switched over to Orbis (I'm running patch H) that the barbs having air range is a serious pain and is really hindering my growth and knocking off my scouts like the previous poster mentioned. I don't even see them and I'm hit.

What he gave you is xml info. To find the XML file, open up the orbis file from where you have it stored (should be under mods under your Beyond the Sword install). Once you have opened that file, go to assets>XML>Units and then open up CIV4PromotionsInfos.

Once you've done that, you can just add the code that he gave you in at the end, then start orbis again (note, don't do this while orbis is running). If orbis starts up just fine, then it worked. If it gave you XML exceptions when launching, you did something wrong. There are already alot of similar promotions already there, just look at them and you should see how to do this properly. You can do this all with notepad. I would recommend starting a new game to test and see if it works before going back to your old one however. I would also recommend making a copy of your orbis install before doing this, even if you don't really need it, mostly because I'm a paranoid programmer.

-Colin

Top Bottom