1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to get my forum name changed?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Aleenik, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

I've been a member since January of 2007. Back then, I was younger and dumber and I didn't really care much about my forum name. Now though I hate it and it annoys me. Not only does it make people think I'm French (I'm American and I meant for the name to mean I am a fan of the French in Civilization games) it is also pretty dumb.

If it is possible to change my name, I would really appreciate it.:) If not, well, that sucks.:( I'd probably end up making a new account, but then I would lose my entire history on this website. My post count and all.

2. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

PM an admin.

3. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Good idea.:) I PMd one.

4. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

On one forum I go to you can change your name every 21 days if you wish. I would think that would be greatly confusing.

5. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

I know of people who did it before:
    Random nerd-Random
    DefenderofIslam-Jojorah

I would probably put my original name in sig if I were you, to avoid confusion.

6. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

That doesn't always help. I think we still have three "formerly known as Warpus' sigs.

7. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

The rules are you have to put the "formerly.." in your signature, but only for a month.

I wish they would allow more name changes..

8. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Or at least just have someone sit down for a day and hammer through the request list, as someone recently told me they had requested one two years ago and were still waiting. It's strangely similar to waiting for a hip replacement or other surgery in Canada :lol:

9. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

I was told it was because the Admins are too busy. Now no offence to Plotinus.. but what exactly is keeping him busy, and how hard is it to change a username... 30 seconds perhaps?

Perhaps it could be like in the Godfather. One time only, they can't refuse a request. :)

10. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

Anyone who's had to negotiate the labyrinthine convolutions of the Admin panel will know that although changing a user name is quicker than most admin tasks, that doesn't mean very much. Also, I think it causes the forum to run more slowly for a bit. It certainly takes a long time to update the name when the change has been ordered.

As a rule, I don't mind changing people's names if they ask, but it's a privilege, not a right. So people who've racked up a fair few infractions are unlikely to have the request granted, at least until they've gone a good period without getting any more.

There isn't a request list sitting around anywhere, as far as I know. If anyone requested one a long time ago and hasn't seen any action they're free to PM me and re-request it, and I'll at least respond one way or another!

11. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I was wondering if there was a list or not, but that would explain why it often takes al ong time. ANyway, thanks for the update Plotinus!