Is it possible to identify which city a wonder is in

pwoz

Chieftain
I recall in previous civ games you could find which city a wonder was built in. Is there a way to do this in Civ 5? I guess in the expansion pack we should be able to with espionage, but I couldn't find a way to do it right now. Am I missing something or is that working as intended?

I tried to search to find an answer, but the search function is not very helpful.

Not sure how this works exactly, but sometimes when you click on the notification icon your map will be centered on the city in which it was built (guess you at least need to have scouted said city before). But sometimes it just says "... in a far away land" even though you already met everyone and know of every city.

Now most of the time the wonder will be built in the AIs Capital, unless for e.g. it is coast-requiring wonder and the Capital isn't on the coast.
You also at least see which civ built a wonder (unless you've not met them yet) in the Global Politics tab (Diplomacy).
And finally you can identify wonders on the actual map. They'll always appear visually around a city when you have vision of that city. Pretty useful to see your neighbor has started on wonder X (which gives a permanent bonus rather than a one-time bonus (for the initial builder only)), so you might not want to compete for that wonder but instead just take it later from him :D

Best to just get used to what they look like and keep an eye out for them when you're actually exploring/looking around. If you get a notification that a particular civ completed a Wonder, then obviously that helps narrow it down when you're looking.

Or just play with a Wonder Spamming civ like Egypt, and then they're all probably in Thebes or something.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess I'll have to get used to what they look like on the map. Sadly the FP wasn't built in the capital in my game and I couldn't figure out which city to take in the peace treaty. Didn't have the happiness to deal with all 7.

Look in the help section in the game to figure out what wonder you're looking for, say Stonehenge. It's as the pic of the info-pic.

Now zoom in to every AI you know, and squint you're eyes. Yep, there's Stonehenge floating in the sea. :)

You normally get the message, that one of your neighbours built this or that wonder, but if it's an unknown civ, the squinting method works.

Later of course, when you know them and their lands.

@pwoz

You can always just accept all of their cities and sell back the ones you don't want. That, or sell the cities to another civ entirely. It never hurts to take all of the cities they are offering since they will always accept them back for free and will usually hand you lots of gold if they have any left over after the treaty.

@pwoz

You can always just accept all of their cities and sell back the ones you don't want. That, or sell the cities to another civ entirely. It never hurts to take all of the cities they are offering since they will always accept them back for free and will usually hand you lots of gold if they have any left over after the treaty.

I hate these peace treaties where they give you all of their puny 20-ish 3-pop cities.
Like I could deal with that ~150 unhappniness all of a sudden??

Wonder if riots/barbarians will spawn (for being below -20 happiness) as that peace treaty comes during their turn, leaving potentially 1 turn for these to occur, before you can resell/give away all of those cities.

Moreover I never know which cities to take as I can't access the map when that offer pops up... that's really bad design imho.

Moreover I never know which cities to take as I can't access the map when that offer pops up... that's really bad design imho.

Yes, this drives me crazy. I feel like I should be able to access all of my information all of the time.

Or just play with a Wonder Spamming civ like Egypt, and then they're all probably in Thebes or something.

Currently playing against Egypt.
A surprising number of the wonders they built were NOT in Thebes.
I was getting all set to raze the most recent city I captured when I checked the city view and found six wonders and decided to keep the city after all.

By process of deduction the remaining wonders they built are in Thebes as I forced them into an involuntary OCC. (I'm now in the process of knocking them out of the game.)

Their other cities had no wonders.

Top Bottom