Is it possible to remove the city walls graphic?

Styrkyr

Chieftain
Here's what I like to do. I would like to remove the city wall graphic so that I don't have these ugly walls cutting through my massive modern age cities, but still have to build to get the castle/arsenal/military base. Essentially, I'd like to make them invisible. Is there a way to do this? It's for purely aesthetics, just to make the game look better.

Ask on the mod forums Moderator Action: Moved to the modding forums , that's about the only way, they would know if its possible via a text file change maybe. If it is that easy you won't see any walls ever in the game once activated.

in the Civ5 \Assets\Gameplay\XML\Buildings/CIV5BuildingsXML file

<Type>BUILDING_WALLS</Type>
<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_WALLS</BuildingClass>
<Cost>75</Cost>
<PrereqTech>TECH_MASONRY</PrereqTech>
<Help>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WALLS_STRATEGY</Help>
<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WALLS</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_WALLS_TEXT</Civilopedia>
<Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WALLS_STRATEGY</Strategy>
<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_WALLS</ArtDefineTag>
<MinAreaSize>-1</MinAreaSize>
<AllowsRangeStrike>true</AllowsRangeStrike>
<Defense>500</Defense>
<CityWall>false</CityWall>
<HurryCostModifier>25</HurryCostModifier>
<IconAtlas>BW_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
<NeverCapture>false</NeverCapture>
<PortraitIndex>32</PortraitIndex>

"false" makes the walls invisible "true" again visible but how to put it into a mod i have no clue, tho you still could just change it in the Civ main folder like i did it works but thats not recommended.

hope this helped you a little.

Just a note that one should never apply changes directly to game XML files (i.e. edit them directly).

Commandment No. 11 - Thou shall always create an XML or SQL file that updates values in XML files.

Code:
UPDATE Buildings SET CityWall= 'false' WHERE Type= 'BUILDING_WALLS' ;

Just a note that one should never apply changes directly to game XML files (i.e. edit them directly).

Commandment No. 11 - Thou shall always create an XML or SQL file that updates values in XML files.

Code:
UPDATE Buildings SET CityWall= 'false' WHERE Type= 'BUILDING_WALLS' ;

thats SQL right?

well i said its not recommended tho i never had any trouble with game file changes yet.

Yes its SQL.

Just backing up your point by showing Styrkyr an example of how to do it via modding.

My fault, I said txt file, that should show you how long ago I attempted modding civ games ;-)

With steam and online access all the time, not sure if any attempts to changing the files, but it may consider it a hack/cheat even as simple as this change. Might want to ask someone who has recent experience, but I put it out there, as something like that "may" occur. (from my lack of current tech knowledge)

hey guys! this is my first post, i registered just to respond to this, but i will admit ive been a viewer/guest for years and years.

i am having the same issue as the OP. i love the way the cities look in all era without walls, but of course i dont want to give up their bonuses and all the buildings that use the walls as their base start. it bums me out to build the Great Wall wonder because that city doesnt have the 'walled' look and i long for it to apply to all cities lol.

the above mentioned changes, what was the outcome of that? was it decided as a group that it should be SQLd in (if so how on Earth do i do that?) or did we decide it was against the Steam rules? does it officially disable Steam Achievements? editing in the XML had no repercussions?

thanks for any answers guys! i am really hoping i can get the cities to look so much better here soon! (granted i do kinda like the look of Babylon's UB walls)

thanks!!

did the changing of the line from false to true within the XML effect whether the Steam achievements worked or not? do you guys know for sure? i know using a Mod turns them off?

who cares for Steam achievements :p

lol im actually one of those sorry saps who keeps up with them and try to get em. i know, lame. but i do kinda enjoy getting them :) lol

well, im at a loss. i decided to try out the xml true to false method before i played with your mod Knel. so far, it doesnt seem to have changed anything. i loaded up an active save, they are still visible. purchased some walls in a city without them yet, still visible. started a new fresh game, built some....they are there. hrmm. does it matter that i have G&K?

UPDATE: nevermind, i got it figured out. with the expansion, i had to go to the same area but go into DLC and then Expansion. and re-edit the same file there. since the game defaults to G&K it was ignoring the changed original version of that file that came with Vanilla V.

Thanks guys!

Sorry, know it's a bit late for an update. I did edit the XML file with notepad(?) and it worked perfectly. It removed the city walls graphic, but I was still able to build them. I still got the achievements for Steam, and it also works with the files for G&K, you just have to go into the correct directory.

any time you play a game by going through MODS, steam achievements are disabled.

Top Bottom