Is it possible to spread a religion which you did not found?

Mesix

The Allfather
I am playing a game as the Khmer. Tamar built Stonehenge and founded the first religion an picked Wats. I would like to build a Wat in Angkor Wat (for the achievement of course). After conquering Tamar, it appears that I cannot build Missionaries and Apostles in her holy city. Is there any way to spread her religion to my city of Angkor Wat?

Did her holy city have a holy site built yet? Better yet did she build any holy sites yet?

Yes, her capital has a Holy Site with both a Shrine and a Temple (which became my unique building) constructed.

She had three cities, and all three are Orthodox (her religion), but they are too far away to have pressure on my cities. This is especially true of Angkor Wat which is the furthest city from her former empire.

If I can build an Orthodox Apostle, I should be set. When I tried, the option was not available. I could only build civilian units and buildings which can be purchased with faith, not religious units.

I thought you could spread any religion by building a Missionary from that religion. For example...you found Onanism. If your city converts from Onanism to Islam, prophets generated from it will be Islamic. (Unless you re-convert). That has always been my experience; I have accidentally built apostles & missionaries of the wrong religion. BIG oops! :eek:

I thought you could spread any religion by building a Missionary from that religion. For example...you found Onanism. If your city converts from Onanism to Islam, prophets generated from it will be Islamic. (Unless you re-convert). That has always been my experience; I have accidentally built apostles & missionaries of the wrong religion. BIG oops! :eek:

This is correct.

If I can build an Orthodox Apostle, I should be set. When I tried, the option was not available. I could only build civilian units and buildings which can be purchased with faith, not religious units.

Does that city have a majority religion? If it does, you should be able to build a Religious unit there. If it doesn't - for example, if two religions have equal followers such that neither has a majority - then you won't be able to build a Religious unit until one or the other has a majority.

It turns out I have a bigger problem than spreading the religion with the Wat:
Spoiler :

Back to the drawing board. Time to start a new game.

Does the achievement require the wonder as well? Best thing to remember is not to settle right on a river or next to a mountain, but one tile away. And use map pins to mark the location of your future aqueduct (and wonder placement as well) so you don't forget and put a district there accidentally.

As for wats, this one is tougher. Founding your own religion is easiest, but it's difficult to get wats unless you found the first or second religion. May be easier to go for stonehenge, but then you still need a holy site to get that prophet settled as quickly as possible. The AI loves to pick Wats and Meeting Houses, and they are probably the 2 best buildings.

Does renaming a city work? Anyone know? Seems like you could rename that city to something else, and then name a city that can build an aqueduct to Angkor Wat.

I got a decent start in my new game. Angkor Wat was my second city. I was planning to chop Stonehenge for the early religion, but someone on the other continent finished Stonehenge by about turn 30 (I hadn't even researched the required tech yet). I managed to get Holy Sites with shrines in my two first cities. The first religion picked Meeting Houses, and I was well ahead for the second religion when someone founded it rather quickly and picked Wats :mad:. I have kept my Great Prophet sleeping and will found a religion only after spreading Easter Orthodox (founded by Russia I found out later) to get the Wat in Angkor Wat.

This game did have one of the slowest slogs for an early war. I marched four archers and two melee units over to Poland. I checked to make sure she did not have any city state allies, but two turns after DOW she sent her diplomat governor to Armgah to and my army was caught in between the two of their armies. I had managed to capture a settler from Poland and founded a city on the river near the desert (see the circle on the map) and it was razed by Armgah! I redeployed my army south intending to take out the city state for the free city, and she moved her governor out of the city the turn before I took Armgah (so peace was declared and I could no longer attack). It took a few turns to redeploy again to take out Poland's cities. I think I lost one unit (and the city where I wanted to build Petra).
Spoiler :

As you can see, Angkor Wat is currently building the required Aqueduct (later I managed the wonder as well). In this screenshot it is turn 89 and I have not managed to put up any Campus or Theater districts.
Spoiler :

15 turns after these screenshots I have also taken over Australia to secure my continent and three more cities. Then I started to develop. The three (out of four since I have a sleeping Prophet) religions were all founded on the other continent.

Actually, I hard researched Astrology as my 4th tech (after the three infrastructure techs). IIRC, the eureka for Astrology is finding a natural wonder which I did not find until much later in the game.

Actually, I hard researched Astrology as my 4th tech (after the three infrastructure techs). IIRC, the eureka for Astrology is finding a natural wonder which I did not find until much later in the game.
It's way too late if you want to guarantee a religion.
And you probably don't need all three infrastructure techs until you build second builder (fir the first, any combo of farm/quarry/camp is available with two)
In most of my starts past R&F, a natural wonder can be found in 10 turns. If not, you are extremely unlucky.

So I managed to get the elusive achievement.

As you will notice in this screenshot, my ally Russia, who founded the Eastern Orthodox Church and picked up Wats as a building, is down to only one city remaining. No worries, I build three cities on an island and managed to get the religion spread to them despite France spreading the Catholic faith to all of my cities on my main continent. Once I finished the Holy Site, I bought the required buildings and faith purchased two Apostles. Yes, they spread Eastern Orthodoxy as they should.
Spoiler :

Here is a screenshot of Angkor Wat just before spreading Eastern Orthodoxy to the city and purchasing the Wat.
Spoiler :

And then I finally use the great prophet who has been sleeping all these centuries to found the religion of the great Moo in the modern era!
Spoiler :

One thing I discovered when doing this which I did not know before. Every city which had a holy site built converted to my new religion of Moo instantly! Had I known this, I probably would have built more holy sites.

As for the natural wonder, the first one I found was to the north of Australia. Once I defeated Australia I found the Giant Causeway. I suppose if I had built some navy units early to explore the coasts, this would have been revealed in time for the Inspiration.

One thing I discovered when doing this which I did not know before. Every city which had a holy site built converted to my new religion of Moo instantly!

There's a good argument for simply holding your Great Prophet unused until you finish a bunch of Holy Sites and build up a large stock pile of faith. Then when you found your religion, it converts all of your Holy Site cities for free, and you buy a wolf pack of 3 to 4 Apostles to immediately go on the offensive.

The downside is you get whatever religious beliefs have been left over by the earlier founded religions.

Yes, this is true. For a religion VC game, it may make a huge impact though. If you have 4-5 cities at the time your great prophet spawns, get holy sites up in all of them before founding a religion. You can be well on the way to an early victory depending on the size and layout of the map.

Top Bottom