1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to trade maps?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by loriensquestion, Oct 11, 2010.

1. loriensquestion

loriensquestion Chieftain

Is it possible to trade maps in Civ5? Is there a tech requirement? Thanks.

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

No, there's no map trading or tech trading.

3. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Kinda does stink you can't at least trade maps. I can understand about tech trading exploits. I am not sad to see that go.

There should at least be something where the whole world map ought to be revealed when you finally researched statelite. Make no sense that the world can't be revealed with it being a available.

4. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

One problem with map trading was that it was 'all or nothing'. In real life, you'd probably be happy to trade some parts of your map and be more guarded about others. That's hard to implement in a game. So instead we all have to get out and explore, and they encourage that with city states, ruins and natural wonders.

5. Peristarkawan

Peristarkawan Chieftain

The other thing that has always bugged me about trading maps is that the AI knew ahead of time how much detail would be revealed by getting your map and was able to value it accordingly. In contrast, whenever the AI offered you their map in exchange for something, it was difficult to judge how much their map was actually worth to you. Removing map trading levels the playing field by that small amount, and I don't really miss it.

6. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

I actually don't see why tech trading and map trading weren't implemented.

If they are detrimental to game play, they could have just been disabled by default leaving the option to the player.

7. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

exactly. At least put it in with the option to turn it off.

8. DeadFish

DeadFish Warlord

Agreed.

9. Conspirator

Conspirator Prince

Well not really seeing as if you asked the civ in question what they wanted in exchange for their map they'd ask for the appropriate amount of gold/techs. If they only wanted a few gold for the map then obviously it didn't add much to your map, but if they wanted 200 gold, then you could be sure it would reveal a lot.

Taking out map and tech trading was something that the majority of people supported when it was announced, but now that we have the game it is obvious that map and tech trading made diplomacy a lot more interesting. Especially tech trading because as techs were so valuable to the AI you could leverage the AI to do things for you, like invading a mutual enemy or adopting a civic or religion, in exchange for a tech.

10. Collic

Collic Warlord

I think the main reason this is out now is because there are far more game mechanics that promote exploration for real benefits, other than just scouting. There are natural wonders to be found that boost happiness, and I've even been asked by city states to discover the territory of another civ for a relations boost.

I think this is also why the unveiling with satellite tech is gone, maybe they should bring it (and or map trading) back, but I can see why they didn't.

Personally, I like this change since it does make sense when you consider the new benefits for exploration (couldn't you circumnavigate the globe by map-trading in civ iv? That's as good an example as any for why it's gone; you can't side-step a game goal by opening up the diplomacy window.)

11. arioch99

arioch99 Chieftain

You can download a MOD that reveal the entire map with satellite, see the mod menu for that.

12. Conspirator

Conspirator Prince

But that's no reason to stop map trading. If it's beneficial to scout out terrain because of goody huts and barbarian huts the player will go out and get these regardless to whether they can trade maps or not.