1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to turn research agreements off?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by IronfighterXXX, Dec 17, 2010.

1. IronfighterXXX

IronfighterXXX Work Hard - Play Hard

In my opinion research agreements give human player advantage over ai (as human player I make it more often) so maybe there is a mod or something to turn it off? I know I just don't have to make it but i don't want ai players make it too :)

2. LuCypher73

LuCypher73 Chieftain

Personally I just get annoyed because its always when I am saving up for something and I almost feel like its a great sin to refuse them. It should be an option much as no tech trading was. I always checked that to make the eras longer.

3. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

I'd like to turn them off too. They feel too artificial. The whole concept needs a total re-working IMO.

4. Malkaviel

Malkaviel Prince

Are you playing on a high enough difficulty level for the AI to compete? King or higher I see the AI do frequent research agreements.

5. spfun

spfun King

AGREED! I really want the OPTION, PLEASE firaxis read this thread.

I can imagine the AI would have trouble keeping up with me on prince/king. I find the research agreement spam they do with each other keeps them at my level somewhat.

I personally just hate research agreements i think its a dumb addition, they should be optional like city states, saving policies etc...

Like in Civ4 tech trading was an option. Just add this to please firaxis! let me play the way i want to play.

6. IronfighterXXX

Yes, I usually play at emperor/immortal difficulty level. AI in fact do research agreements but as I see them a little bit overpowered I assign almost every money on them so I make them at least twice more then second player. In result despite difficulty level I am too advanced too quickly;) As I sad I know I don't have to make them but then AI will get advantage over me;) Besides RA makes technological eras last too short.
    I agree with spfun research agreements should be optional like technology trading in C4!

7. spammikone

spammikone Warlord

Code:
    <Type>TECH_PHILOSOPHY</Type>
    			<Cost>100</Cost>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_TECH_PHILOSOPHY_TITLE</Description>
    			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TECH_PHILOSOPHY_DESC</Civilopedia>
    			<Help>TXT_KEY_TECH_PHILOSOPHY_HELP</Help>
    			<Era>ERA_CLASSICAL</Era>
    			[COLOR="Red"]<ResearchAgreementTradingAllowed>true</ResearchAgreementTradingAllowed>[/COLOR]
    			<Trade>true</Trade>
    			<GridX>3</GridX>
    			<GridY>2</GridY>
    			<Quote>TXT_KEY_TECH_PHILOSOPHY_QUOTE</Quote>
    			<PortraitIndex>16</PortraitIndex>
    			<IconAtlas>TECH_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
    			<AudioIntro>AS2D_TECH_PHILOSOPHY</AudioIntro>
    			<AudioIntroHeader>AS2D_HEADING_TECH_PHILOSOPHY</AudioIntroHeader>

Delete the red part from your CIV5Technologies.xml file. In diplomatic negotiations you still see the option there but it's grayed out and you or AI can't ever use it.

This worked before latest patch, and I'm fairly sure why it wouldn't work now too.

8. spfun

spfun King

thanks spammikone i'll try that later. I wonder what the AI will do with the extra gold? i just played a game with no city states for a change & most nations had thousands of extra gold. :crazyeye:

I'd still like an option in the advanced options to turn them off though, this would be a temp fix! :)

9. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

In my first post-patch game I was at almost constant war as civ after civ DoW'd me... as a result I was never able to sign any RAs... by 1880 I was finally hitting the Industrial Era while Washington had hit the modern era, which made the whole thing, as Tom Baker once said, "...like a war of attrition, only backwards"

Now I'm hitting a point where my military is surviving against superior tech and numbers.... but that's all...

And I blame it all on the RAs...

But anything that the AI can use effectively.... I say should stay in the game as a rule

10. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

How would I go about doubling the cost of RAs?

11. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Do I need to delete it outright or can I just change it to False? I rather not delete the whole ine.

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I'd also suggest making it a mod that turns it off, not editing the original xml file.

13. spammikone

spammikone Warlord

I don't know. Perhaps editing <Row Name="RESEARCH_AGREEMENT_MOD"> in GlobalDefines.xml. No idea about the value.

Most likely that'd work too. If it's "false" then there isn't anything anymore which allows tech pacts, so by that sense it'll work and this is my bet. Though the nature of this element is kind of reactive - how can it falsify something which isn't true to begin with (or to be more precise - doesn't exist)? It could lead to unintended consequences (ie. crash or double negatives resulting in positive or whatever). It all depends on what kind of logic the game is programmed.

At first I tried to made a mod which would have edited the tech and make that part "false". However it didn't work. But I'm almost sure I did something wrong with the mod, so I took the easier route and just deleted the thing. Just backup the file, it's not big deal what the method is.

14. IronfighterXXX

I've found in GlobalDefines how to prolong RA but nothing about cost

- <Row Name="RESEARCH_AGREEMENT_TIMER">
    <Value>20</Value>

thanx spammikone for advise I was to lazy to search exactly;)

15. spfun

spfun King

i made a mod that deleted that 1 line, except after playing a game research agreements were still on, infact every mod i make like just changing a simple number what have any effect ingame. what am i doing wrong lol...

I might have to just back up the originals & change them save time making mods lol.

16. Hornet07

Hornet07 Chieftain

I would love a mod to turn of RAs, I've played a game with Alexander making research agreements left and right and being two ages ahead of everyone

17. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Try changing the line to "False" instead of true. Maybe that'll work (at least, it should)

18. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

Deleting a line from a mod XML file most likely would just make the game look for the line in the base files, thereby still finding the value True. I'd specifically set it to False to overwrite it in reading the base files.

The second thing (if this happens with every mod) is that maybe you're not making the mods right. I'm having some trouble with ModBuddy as well (though I had no problem Modding Civ IV). There are tutorials on civfanatics but as simple as people make them sound, they seem to leave out basic steps for me. You can't just add an XML document with new values, you need to tell the Mod which file to update and stuff like that.

19. Ceedub

Ceedub Chieftain

ResearchAgreementCost is in CIV5Eras.xml (different for each era obviously)

20. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

Changing from True to False is tempting, but as Spamikonne says: it all depend on the internal structure of the code.

The risk is that a "False" condition can return a NULL (it means: nothing, not even "empty", simply not existing) value in a parameter if the programmer has not used a real boolean logic (True / False), the value "true" can be actually a string/variable value expected further in the code, not a boolean value. And the value False can be ignored as not part of an internal boolean condition.

A NULL value can then be associated to a parameter if the False condition is not understood/processed, and it can trigger an unhandled error in the code, at worst crashing the game, at best skipping a part of routine...

But it is also true (boolean...) that perhaps there is 90% of chance that it will work, and False may generate a correct value understood by the rest of the code.

Try, and if there is something abnormal happening, like the AI being much much smarter, there is definitely something wrong !!!!:lol: