1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to win if you were stuck on a small island at semi-god level?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by monotonous, Oct 12, 2013.

1. monotonous

monotonous Chieftain

there're no resources whatsoever, you can build about 10 cities if they were 1-2 tiles away, i can barely beat the barbarians because there were like 20 horsemen, my best unit is still warrior

2. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

I think you see so many barbarians because the other civs have entered the Middle Ages. :p

3. MrRandomGuy

MrRandomGuy Warlord

Post your saved game. That way someone will be able to see exactly what needs to be done and give you tips that way.

4. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

My recommendation would be quit playing the game and proceed to another one.

5. monotonous

monotonous Chieftain

6. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Considering that you are at 730BC and are still working on getting Writing, do you have Iron Working as yet? Also, why are you building 4 Settlers when you have a bunch of Barbarian Horseman next to one of your cities, and what are you planning to do with the 4 Settlers? Since Mapmaking is required for Galleys, and Writing is a pre-requisite for Mapmaking, how did you get the Galley, or does it belong to someone else?

As for no resources, have you researched The Wheel yet, as that gives you Horses, and as the Egyptians, Horses gets you the War Chariot, which would be good against the Barbarian Horseman. What do you have your Science Research slider set for? You also look to be a bit short of workers for building roads and putting mines in the mountains for extra shields.

7. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

The galley is barbarian.

8. MrRandomGuy

MrRandomGuy Warlord

I doubt he has iron working when there are no spearmen in his cities (spearmen requiring bronze working and no resources to build.)

What victory conditions did you choose? Depending on what you chose the game can be winable.

I'm a warmonger but in a game like this I wouldn't try conquest or domination. Although if your island is close to the mainland either of those conditions are not out of reach. It will just be a bit harder.

Diplomatic and space ship victory will be easy in a game like this. Diplomatic being the easiest.

Build workers and road everywhere. Forget about one of the settlers and send two of them to build 2 more cities, but don't do this right away. Your priority right now is workers, roads, improvements, and patrolling the area of your island that isn't in your borders once you've killed the barbarians off. If you patrol the area with just a few troops the barbarians won't overwhelm you like they appear to be doing near Giza. Once you've roaded most of your area and built improvements, build 1 city on the grassland tile beside the hill with the gold tile and one city on the hill next to the coast tile with fish. The reason why you don't need to do this right away is because you still haven't met any AI civilization. There is no rush to settle more cities. Focus on workers as previously stated and other necessary city improvements.

Set your science rate to the maximum amount possible until you meet the AI civilizations. Once all AI civs are met place your research to 0% and buy techs from the AI civs. The AI civs will outresearch you on this level every time, so you're better off buying the techs instead of trying to research them on your own. Once every civ is met you will need to frequently use diplomacy to check and see who has what tech and who doesn't. Typically in games like this you will be the middle man buying techs from the civ with the most research then selling them to the civs who don't have it yet. If done correctly this strategy can be very effective. Last game I played I only had 2 cities yet managed to rake in nearly 2,000 gold per turn simply from buying/selling techs.

Now that being said, you obviously can't buy/sell techs to civs you are at war with. If you're going for conquest or domination then war only one civ at a time and try to get the other civs to dogpile the civ you are at war with.

If you go for diplomatic victory, simply buy techs until you get to Fission. A helpful hint is to find a scientific civ and thrust them into the modern age by selling them tech. Scientific civs get 1 free tech in every age so they have a chance to get Fission right away. Buy it from them and build the UN before they do and make sure all the AI's like you with an attitude of polite or gracious.

Space ship will be a little harder to pull off, but the same principles apply. It requires more investigation into the AI cities and if necessary sabotaging production to prevent them from building more space ship parts than you do.

Also: Micromanage, micromanage, and micromanage. Check your cities and make sure there is no wasted food (i.e. a city has a surplus of 4 food yet is at size 12 and can't grow yet.) Don't automate workers. And once you've met every civ, trade them for resources you don't have.

I don't think I've covered every single thing but that's at least a good start on how you can win your game.

9. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

Researching Writing at 730 BC in Demigod?

I think you should downgrade a level to optimize your player skills before move forward.

But good luck in this game, I have no idea what can you do.

10. monotonous

monotonous Chieftain

nvm sasasa