Is it true that American's don't use sarcasm?

I use it occasionally.

Problem is people who use sarcasm appear arrogant, and basically an ahole.

Some Americans do. But even the ones who do might have trouble with the particular brand of sarcasm that Britons make use of. And of course the British habit of drastically understating things has its mirror here in the dramatic overstating of things, so if you conflate these two masteries of yours, as is surely bound to happen, I'm sure a great many Americans would be left looking like this: :dubious:

It's all an optical illusion. Can you see his feet actually standing on the ladder?

Didn't think so.

Mate of mine is a black tree surgeon. Now granted I've not seen him up a ladder but how the hell else does he pay his mortgauge? Are the ladders on the roof of his van just props?

Some Americans do. But even the ones who do might have trouble with the particular brand of sarcasm that Britons make use of. And of course the British habit of drastically understating things has its mirror here in the dramatic overstating of things, so if you conflate these two masteries of yours, as is surely bound to happen, I'm sure a great many Americans would be left looking like this: :dubious:

You are clearly overstating our understatement. Stop it.

The thing is, Americans are very sarcastic. It's just that the British are so much more so, that we don't seem to be, from their perspective. I mean, heck, how are we supposed to compete with Englishmen? You guys are drier than the Sahara.

Americans never use sarcasm.

What the hell kind of ignorant question is that :confused: It's like asking whether black people can use ladders.

They just jump up to wherever they want to go, no need for ladders.

So is it true that Americans don't use and/or understand sarcasm, or is it just a myth?

What is this sarcasm thing you speak of?

Oh, why am I even bothering to respond to a godless foreigner. Please excuse me while I go off and and help Mark Twain burn a Quran Koran.

Top Bottom