Is It True?

tazar

Chieftain
I cant remember where i heard this, but i was told that nations sometimes split in two and the other half becomes a new civilization altogether
I am not refering to colonies of whom you grant independence voluntarily but like the feature in civ 2 when u use your spy to split empires in half

any1 heard of this/ seen this or is it just my imagination?

I experienced this, but im not sure if it was civ4 vanilla or civ3 conquests, but there was a "civil war" in one of the other civs, and the nation was split in two. Ghandi took over as the leader of the new liberated germans :lol:

It's not in Civ IV

Actually it is. It is new to BtS.

Colonies

Big empires that have been hard to manage before are going to be even more trouble in the expansion. In addition to the regular maintenance costs, you will now also incur a significant additional cost for cities that aren't on the same continent as your capital. It's not much of a problem for a handful of overseas colonies, but once you actually establish a mini-empire on another continent, you're going to find yourself losing money.

The answer is to visit your Domestic Advisor and make the cities on the new continent into a colony. The new colony is assigned a new leader and civilization and becomes a vassal to its parent civilization. The AI takes charge of the colony from then on but still allows the player who created them to make use of whatever resources they hold. So if you settle on a distant continent and find rich resource fields there, creating a colony out of the new cities won't affect your access to those resources.

The colony begins life in a very friendly relationship with the parent civilization but from there you'll have to ensure that you do what you need to do to maintain that relationship. Colonies can eventually break completely free of their parent civilization at which point they stop contributing resources and can even become hostile. Smart players never let it get that bad, of course, and the colonies we've seen the AI establish have stayed allied with each other throughout the game.

Yes now if your civ gets to big theirs a chance that your empire splits in two. I don't think that theirs a mission that does this.

Really? How have I never heard of this before?

I think this happens in Rhyes and Fall, but I wouldn't know since it crashes every time I try to play it.

Somebody should check the random events list in that random events thread to see if it's one of the "random events." I'm supposed to be working, or I would. I think they "disabled" the MAJOR catostrophic random events (like a tsunami destroyes a size < 5 city) for this release, maybe "A large faction secedes from your empire" provided certain criteria are present is one of the random events, i remember hearing that this was a new feature in the expansion a long time ago...

I read this somewhere, but can't confirm:

It's like Civ I, if you take the capital of a large nation, there is a possibility of Civil war - where that Nation rends itself in twain. That's if you invade a country without a proper post-invasion strategy. But who would ever do that, in the real world, eh? :mischief:

I used to love doing that in Civ I (on my old 486 with 4 Megs of RAM, whoo-hoo!), and was glad to see it's back.

Jim

Somebody should check the random events list in that random events thread to see if it's one of the "random events." I'm supposed to be working, or I would. I think they "disabled" the MAJOR catostrophic random events (like a tsunami destroyes a size < 5 city) for this release, maybe "A large faction secedes from your empire" provided certain criteria are present is one of the random events, i remember hearing that this was a new feature in the expansion a long time ago...

I checked the actual event files themselves, and there's nothing in there remotely approaching a break-off within an empire. It would have surprised me if I had found something to be honest, as this is too invasive of the gameplay to leave it up to a random event to occur or not.

Everybody who seems to think that a civ in bts can split-up in any other way than a colony, show me a game where it actually happened. AFAIK an empire never breaks up, that is, unless it voluntarily liberates cities on a different continent to create a colony.

I have had brand new civilizations spring into being mid-game. It happened twice in the last BtS game I was playing. I was not aware enough to determine what caused this to happen, perhaps it was colonies.

^^ yes it was colonies

OP: no there is nothing about civilization splitting in two, colonies is as close as you'll get

I checked the actual event files themselves, and there's nothing in there remotely approaching a break-off within an empire. It would have surprised me if I had found something to be honest, as this is too invasive of the gameplay to leave it up to a random event to occur or not.

Everybody who seems to think that a civ in bts can split-up in any other way than a colony, show me a game where it actually happened. AFAIK an empire never breaks up, that is, unless it voluntarily liberates cities on a different continent to create a colony.

Right, I don't believe that it actually happens either... but I DO remember it being advertised as a feature in the new expansion pack... perhaps they scrapped it like they scrapped colonies... i mean, piggy-backed on vassal states and jacked up maintenance instead of making the colony a realistic solution. The ONLY real benefit i can imagine for having a colony is the free resources for your corporations... otherwise you're basicly just giving the AIs another civ.

I saw it happen in rhys and fall( or however you spell that) I was the dutch and the germans all of the sudden turned to independant I think. It said a civil war had broken out. It may have only been however because their time in the world was up, or they couldn't finish any of their goals anymore. It was pretty cool though. Unless it had been me, and then I would have probably headbutted my monitor.

I like rhys and fall, but it does crash a lot for some reason. It is also annoying to have to keep introducing yourself to people 20 times because you don't have an embassy.

I won't contest whether these things happen in the rhyes and fall mod (seeing as I've never played it properly since warlords), but if it does, it's still likely that the epic bts game does not include this feature.

In the Terra game I'm playing something unusual happened. Roosevelt was being dominated by Mehmed and lost several cities. Somehow, Roosevelt's capital ended up being a city on a small island just off the mainland. It was amusing to see then that "Roosevelt had put Lincoln in charge of his overseas empire of America!" One of Roosevelt's old cities (now owned by Lincoln) is now beside me on the mainland, there are two America's in the game, and both America's are nowhere near the new world! Also, because of the colony creation a few free defenders were put in the colony cities. Maybe Roosevelt was aware of this little exploit!....
Just seems kinda silly.

Top Bottom