1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

is it worth a war?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Ision, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Ision

Ision Master

America/Monarch Level/Large/Continents/10 AIs left/mid-Middle Ages/

Here's the situation:

I am 2nd on the histograph.

At this time there is nearly total tech parity between all Civs (including mine). I researched and own 'the Pyramids and Sistine', I conquered 'Lighthouse and Colossus' from the Vikings. There is still an undiscovered continent with 1 Civ on it.

I already had my 'Golden Age' via wonders.

I am in 'Republic' form of Government.

I have the largest land mass and city total (total conquest of the Vikings) , but lag behind 2 civs in culture.

I have iron and horses.

I have access to only 2 luxury sources (gems and dyes).

My military is superior to all but 1 Civ (Arabia). I have a large number of Knights and Pikemen, a small number of catapults, and 5 galleys (my navy sucks).

Arabia is 1st on the histograph and is about to wipe out India on the other continent.

Arabia has 3 different luxury sources (wines, incense, & silks) in there empire, all near the coast! Arabia has a near monopoly (all but 1 source) of the Iron on their continent!

My God Damm 'Forbidden Palace' is 75 turns away!!

There are 3 other Civs on my Continent, only one of which poses any real threat to me (China). I am Gracious with the other 2 of them, China is still 'Furious' at me for allying with Eygpt during an early Ancient age war.

SO, my intention is to build a huge fleet, fill them with Cavalry, Musketmen, and Settlers and Invade Arabia in the late Middle Ages/Early Industrial Age. I intend to ally with the 2 weakest Civs on the other Continent (after India is destroyed there will be 5 left) against Arabia. Simultaneously, I intend to provoke a war on my own continent with China - and let Eygpt and Spain do the dirty work, while I stay on mobile defense.

My goal is not conquest or domination - but balance of power. My ultimate goal is space race/ culture/ or diplomatic victory. Is it worth a war with Arabia for the sake of 2 or 3 more luxerys, considering I have 2 of my own and Sistine? I could just launch a small attack on Arabia and ally with all 4 of the other Civs on their continent? Is my intention to fight a concurrent war with China a mistake (a war on 2 fronts)? Or is it fine considering the number of allys I intend to have?

Is the war worth it?.....................

Please help and Thanks,

Ision

2. Ision

Ision Master

By the way............I have already pre-ordered C3C

so, this is the last of my PTW games........... I want to make the most of it.........

Ision

3. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle Supporter

Interesting question. When you name your victory goals, I can't help but think that a war would definately NOT be worth it, at least one where you're sending troops over. This is how I'd play it:

I'd want to concentrate a vast majority of my resources toward sceince/culture, with the exception of my major sea port cities. You say your navy sucks? Fix that right away. If your main enemy lies across the ocean, then you need a strong navy. He's sending ships filled with calvery and riflemen? Sink 'em if they come.

So, while I'm building culture and ships, I'm also prying the Arabs neighbors with techs for a MA against him. Then I'd simply let them duke it out. I wouldn't send troop one, building only universities and such instead. If the Arabs send a force over, use your navy to take him out in defense.

This will most likely lead the Arabs into conquering their neighbors, which will keep him occupied while you concentrate on culture and science. A full on invasion will drain away precious resouces from your specific goal.

Anyway, that's what I'd do. I'm sure there'll be other strats far more crafty and brilliant than this to follow, though. Good luck!

Edited: on the other hand, a war would greatly increase your odds of a great leader, thus allowing you to build that FP faster....

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

yeah i was also thinking of that great leader to help that forbidden palace.

Your game would be more easily won if you went to war but that doesn't necessarily make it more fun.

5. Pongui

Pongui Deity

I would do as Raijer. Make sure India has all the tech and resources - and gold if necessary - to put up a stiff resistance. You might even give India enough to enlist help on its own continent.

I love it when other civs fight.:yeah:

6. Globetrotter

Globetrotter ...wherever i may roam...

As Sean has mentioned, you can help out India economically + grant her resources that might help it.

I would declare war on Arabia, make alliance with all the other civs there to fight Arabia, but i would not send any troops there.

Then, i would take care of China, making proper allicances, and hoping to get a GL.

7. alja

alja Chieftain

this war could also lead Arabia conquering the complete continent making them even stronger. Make sure you push on them hard enough to avoid this...

8. Globetrotter

Globetrotter ...wherever i may roam...

This is obviously a risk to take, depending on the relative strenght of Arabia's neighbours. If they are all really small compared to Arabia, then one should not make them fight Arabia. But if they are all of medium/large size, one should give it a chance.

9. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

i wouldn't nescesarly give them something to valuable, but maybe gicve them saltpeter, 50-150 gold, and an advance or 2

edit:remember not to give them too much gold depending on thier power, remember when they conquer indian cities they get a portion of thier gold

10. The Great Proxy

The Great Proxy Chieftain

If you have a map of Arabia, seek a coastal city with luxuries, or perhaps one with a highly important strategic resource. Fill a transport of attack and defensive units, make a sudden attack and stay in that city. Don't try to go on, just resist until they bring you a peace proposal. Then, build a harbour (the luxury or resource would not be of any use without it) and all culture buildings, and perhaps you can get some other cities by cultural meanings.

11. MajorFallout

MajorFallout Battalion-Command

What is Arabia's status towards you (furious or gracious)?
    If it is polite or gracious, then use that to your advantage, it'll help you alot with trading with them. Trade with Arabia for Iron and other resources for money or techs, if possible - Sanitation and Medicine are usually ones, not sort after by the Ai. Then target China, and go to war with them, if you must go to war.

Whatever you do, do not fight 2 enemies at the same time, otherwise it'll lead to your destruction or at the least a total disaster, militarily.

12. Selous

Selous King

does china have any goodies?? i wouldnt commit to war on 2 fronts ... especially with one of them over the ocean ... i like to eliminate potential enemys on my continent first before arabia could ally china against u... if u are just want to weaken arabia then u could launch attacks and raise the citys and put your troops back on the ships and attack other coastal towns ... stops u having to defend those towns and weakens his long term goals .. but then u cant get those goody resoarces that u may want (not to much chance he will ever trade them to u also) ... i use this tacktic when another civ annoys me ... and when i dont feel the need to expand or would be to expencive to expand ... well have fun

13. Enemy Ace

Enemy Ace Death comes ripping.

War remains the main action of the game.

14. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator