1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth building Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Mad Man, May 13, 2011.

1. Mad Man

Mad Man Your lord and master

One of my favorite civilizations to play as in Rhye's and Fall is the Dutch, however I have an unorthodox strategies when starting out, I put the settlers on to the galleys and set sail directly to Africa. Why do I do this? Completely ignoring the fact that there's no room to practically expand, the growing culture of Amsterdam always pisses off the neighbors and triggers unnecessary wars. So my question is do you bother building Amsterdam or are you like me and choose to build elsewhere, also if you build elsewhere, where do you usually build your capital?

2. corovanrobber

corovanrobber Chieftain

You have enough troops on start to conquer London, and also second settler for Budapest or Kiev ftw. Yeah with this tacting Amsterdam is worth building. With CS and workshops you gonna grow military powerhouse - Europe should belong to you. :lol:

3. aprogressivist

aprogressivist Chieftain

What about Amsterdam vs. Groningen (1E) as a capital?

4. Mad Man

I don't like Groningen, my biggest problem with is that its not actually in Groningen on the R&F map. I think Husem should have been added in that plot instead.

5. aprogressivist

aprogressivist Chieftain

Well sure, but naming aside, how's it work as a city spot? ;)

6. corovanrobber

corovanrobber Chieftain

You go and test. Duh.

7. rock_star

rock_star Chieftain

I like unorthodox too, but my version involves a bloated Low Countries:

Spoiler :

Most seem to suggest a one-city challenge for the Dutch until the colonies are up and running, but I often build Frederikstadt with my second settler, then set to produce a settler from each city. On some very lucky games I get Aken from France, as in the picture above - in that case I assign the terrestrial food resources to Aken and Frederikstadt to curb the explosive - and unhappy - growth of Amsterdam, since growth stunted by unhealthy city size or angry citizens is wasted potential commerce, hammers or whip meat. (In this game I built Dragor instead, so I'd have more coastal tiles - and commerce - in my control.)

Even without bee-lining straight for Afrika I have plenty of time to build a comfortable colonial empire before the Brits and Portuguese start going for my most lucrative territories. I managed most of the historical Dutch colonial empire in that game while being the last European to Astronomy - I beelined for the Aztec and pushed my New World settlers from their cities. For Africa I loaded two settlers and two defenders into my galleys and dropped one settler and both defenders in Winburg while the other settler went to Australia (provided no bad breaks from the goody huts or a barbarian uprising events, Australia is the best spot in the game to send undefended settlers). From Vinburg and Nieuw Holland I produced settlers to colonize Oceania, India, South Africa and Madagascar. I don't remember if I built any settlers beyond the first two in the Low Countries at all - most were locally produced and settled.

Tragically the French beat me to Cayenne and (less tragically, but ahistorically) Britain founded New York, but this method worked surprisingly well. I only bothered to steal Astronomy from France to get my trans-oceanic trade and the extra buildings when settling new cities. Even though this game turned out well, I think I still prefer the Astronomy route, since those East Indiamen make colony building super-easy.

Attached Files:

8. Mad Man

It's only slightly better than Amsterdam, you'd still need to destroy Hamburg to build it, and the culture would still piss off the Vikings and the Germans. So in retrospect Amsterdam would be the better of the two.

9. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

Second to Jayakarta, Amsterdam is a lesson in the whip and maintaining happiness.

10. Sian

Sian Chieftain

*giggles* ... actually scarily fitting that the dutch city in Denmark is called Dragør ... historically Dragør was a small city inhabitated by dutch Farmers/Fishermen invited to denmark in the 15'th and 16'th century.

11. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

It's been a while since I played with the Dutch. (who I think are extremely awesome to build up an colonial empire with)
    But I remember several games when I founded two cities in the Low Countries; Groningen and
    ?Duinkerken? 1SW of Amsterdam which worked pretty well.
    especially when you use GA to relieve your cities of the cultural pressure

12. nody

nody Chieftain

Yeah! We Dutch rule!

If we never sold New Amsterdam/York to the English you Americans maybe would be speaking Dutch right now.

At least you learned these phrases from clicking on your orange armymen:

"Zeker!" -> Certainly!
    "Komt voor mekaar!" -> Consider it done!
    "We gaan!" -> On our way!
    "Wat heeft U nodig?" -> What do you need?
    "Zoals U wilt." -> As you wish.
    "Wegwezen!" -> Should be: We're on it!, but actually means: Go away!

BTW, Husem? Never heard of it. Maybe it's a German town?

The largest Dutch city northeast of Amsterdam is Groningen. But the 'Groningen'-tile also encompasses a portion of Germany since our borders are not as straight as the tiles.

PS Don't like Groningen too.

13. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Chieftain

"Wegwezen" is more likely the translation of "Move out!".

14. nody

nody Chieftain

You're right. En nou oprotten! ;)

15. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Chieftain

I'll keep my mouth shut.:D

16. rock_star

rock_star Chieftain

The Vinland Vikings traded milk to the First Nations tribes, and some have suggested the natives were lactose intolerant (making them believe they were poisoned), leading to their constant wars with the Norse. If this is true, the Nordic-skraeling relations would have been much more peaceful and fruitful had the Norse never sold them milk, and most of us Yanks would be speaking a dialect of Icelandic.

(Actually, in this part of the US, there are still strains of German & Dutch spoken by the Amish communities, but I've been told they're as far removed from modern German & Dutch as Afrikaans.)

LOL - I figured it would be the French infantry unit who would refuse to fight. :lol:

17. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Probably much further from Dutch than Afrikaans

18. nody

nody Chieftain

I thought the Amish speak something more related to Frisian, which is spoken in northern Netherlands and northwestern Germany and a completely different language from German and Dutch.

BTW, as a Dutchman I find it easier to understand Afrikaans than Frisian or even Limburgian. I've heared Afrikaan-speakers have more trouble understanding modern Dutch than the other way around.

19. rock_star

rock_star Chieftain

This is possible . . . I grew up in "Amish Country," but never interacted much with them, so I wouldn't really recognize what language they used amongst themselves. I only know English, Spanish and a little bit of Swedish (which is random for an American to learn - my great-grandfather was from Kalmar, and I'd like to visit his hometown, but I'm forcing myself to learn the language before doing so - even if everyone in Europe knows English, I refuse to be the stereotypical American who expects the world to cater to them ;)).

Rest assured, though, the Dutch have definitely made their impact known here. There's at least one Dutch word every college freshmen in the U.S. knows by the end of their first week at uni - Heineken. :beer:

20. Science Rules

Science Rules Chieftain

There's also Jersey Dutch, which is a dead language today, but had speakers up until the early 20th century.

BTW, Martin Van Buren (who was President of the United States) spoke Dutch as a first language.