Is it worth buying yet?

I got it on friday for the full price and don't regret it at all.

Don't like passive AI? Declare war yourself. They're meant to be more passive. Since they left the Earth after the Big Mistake they're more willingly to cooperate which is a really nice touch. It offers way more possibilities of playing the game.

I like to create economic and cultural powerhouses and actually play the diplomatic game. And RT lets me do it. I don't feel that I have to beeline for wonders all the time anymore, too. God, that annoying sound when you were beaten by one turn in CIV V...

An expansion worth of being called an expansion. And worth the price, too.

Gonna be honest, G&K felt less finished than this did. Whatever iterative model Firaxis have chosen, or have to, follow, it seems to be improving per generation.
G+K was more balanced, though, in my opinion. Of course, unlike Civ:BE, when G+K was released, Civ5 had almost two years of patching under its belt already, while RT development seems to have cannibalised the majority of their efforts since the Wonders patch in Spring.

I wasn't as familiar with the state of balance / design back then, so you're on point there. I always forget G&K had a much longer release window though, and you are right in that BE's development made that rush more apparent.

I'm actually very happy with how RT turned out - not even using the one year lifecycle as an excuse. Very much worth my money, and would've paid full for it.

Top Bottom