1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth conquering all the cities?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by daviscor, Dec 30, 2011.

1. daviscor

daviscor Prince

Is it worth conquering all the cities or just the ones with useful resources?
    If I don't finnish all the cities, are the possibilities of the opponent coming back and re-conquering the cities big?

2. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Yes. Sell them.

3. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

Now that's something I've never tried before. I'll have to give it a go. Typically, how much gold do you get?

4. daviscor

daviscor Prince

Yeah, I'm curious too...
    But in a way, that would not help if you're going for a domination victory, because basically you're conquering a city do sell to another one you will have to conquer anyway...
    That all depends on the amount of gold the AI gives you...

5. Tabarnak

There is some evidence that some cities have really low value because it's a little city, isolated, etc. But it's also usually an easy city to capture and to burn.

Best cities to sell are those that get you out of high unhappiness(below -9), and/or those very close to the civ you want to sell and good relationships.

For example :

A=your cities
    B-C-D=AI cities
    *=capitals

---A*---A2---C*
    ---A3---C2---D2
    B2---B*---C3---D3
    --C4---D4---D*

Situation 1 : You conquer B2 city. Selling this city to civ C will probably give you more :c5gold: than D because B2 is probably closer and there is no other cities between them.

Situation 2 : You capture C2 city. Sell this city to D or B depending of what they offer. You can choose which civ you want to sell and get maximum of it(check diplo situation and civ's army strengh for sure).

More a city is close to the buyer, more it can be valuable. More a city is big, more it's valuable. Capitals are highly valuable.

Best situation here : Capture B* and sell it at high price to the richest civ between C and D. Even better if you have open border to not slow you down if you continue a crusade and you need to tresspass by that city.

Conquering all cities is rarely optimal. It was a bit sarcastic when i said that but conquering and selling some cities can give you a great amount of money to survive or simply overwhelm other civs badly. Pretty useful strategy at Deity and for fast conquest victories(you can sell every capitals and keep only yours to win by conquest...in fact you can win by domination with only your capital left :)).

6. daviscor

daviscor Prince

Got it. Thanks.
    Just say... hipothetically, if I conquered B* and I wanted to sell it to the richest and the closest civ. What would be the max amount of gold they would offer?

7. Tabarnak

I don't know what is the best record of a selled city....this should be interesting to know. I once sold a city(capital) for over 3000:c5gold: at standard speed if i remember well. But i never play AI over 1800AD(i already won by that date) so i'm pretty sure that some players did something even more crazy.

8. daviscor

daviscor Prince

That's a good amount of gold.
    I've got to try that...

9. peddroelm

peddroelm King

I like to try and hold on to most cities ... Insures I have a huge number of trading posts for milking GAes (although selling would probably yield more gold) and that I will get strategic resources in the late game(which can usually brought for gold also) ..

But it takes a lot of scouts, walls, castles, monuments & temples to keep them all happy :)

10. SkylineR33FTW

SkylineR33FTW Chieftain

in my most recent game, the Greeks were south of me and i sold them the 3 cites on their borders (which i captured from siam) i got 9,000 , 5,000 , 3,000 for the cities respectfully :)

Prob get a more than normal due to Greece having +40,000 gold and +500gpt

I had to sell then anyways, my invasion of Russia cost me a massive happiness hit, and i needed extra units to help the stalemate that was occurring, so lots of gold and more units on the frontline :) win win.

11. Tabarnak

Wow litterally game breaking stuff! :goodjob:

12. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

don't forget -

if you sell cities to AIs that don't currently have borders with each other (but would after the sale) you'll get them mad at each other and they may end up warring/reducing their unit counts before you decide to clean up.

as per the OP question:

Don't bother with cities that are obviously useless. As long as you have their capital and wonder or strategic/lux cities, you'll be able to keep them from coming back.

13. SkylineR33FTW

SkylineR33FTW Chieftain

How is it gamebreaking ? it is up to the user if they want to use it or not.

And anyways, its not like i have sold cities for that much before, tbh i havnt even sold a city before, but i had little choice to do the events ongoing so i dont see what is wrong with it tbh :L :confused:

14. Tabarnak

It's not wrong. Hmm gamebreaking for me means game changing. Like a big tide turning to them. Blame my poor english.

15. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

It's not 'wrong' for you to use game breaking as the term.

An AI willing to pay 4k+ for a city that isn't worth that much (add strategics/luxs/etc) is fairly game breaking due to what you can do with that 4k gold - right now.

It 'breaks' the game dynamics and pacing, as well as making the rest of the game very very simple if that gold is used wisely.

16. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Wow, I had never tried selling cities. Never realized you could get so much money out of them...

17. Monthar

Monthar Deity

If the civ you're friends with is on the other side of the world, thus no-where near the cities you want to sell, you can sell them that tiny very crappy city you'd normally raze for a pittance. Then the nice cities next to it you captured specifically to sell will be worth big bucks to that civ since they'd be bordering the crappy city.

18. Pook

Pook Bloviating

I like this idea- thank you Monthar. I've recently moved up to Immortal, and I struggle with runaway AI on other continents. This provides part of the answer- selling the AI cities I don't need for lots of gold, and improving my happiness in the process.

19. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

for strategic reasons, i've sold a crappy city to someone too far away to make good use of it for retaliation. i know i would get less value out of it because they are not close to their own network, but i also get a much less military threat by it being disconnected with limited resources and size. i only did it to see if i liked that vs. razing it.

going for domination on King difficulty it wasnt that bad. im sure the better players see that as a waste but i was more concerned about a city sold into/connected to their network being another avenue militarily into mine. i got something like 200g, 4 gpt, and a lux which is paltry to the better sale values.

20. vonbach

vonbach Prince

I destroy them and build cities on top of the ruins.