Is Japan the best warmonger civ hands down? or what is your favorite?

Artifex1

Warlord
I just started getting into game and it seems Japan is easily the best warmonger civ. Do you agree?

That depends on the map. Denmark is unstoppable on fractal and archipelago.

Overall I would say Songhai and Denmark.

Denmark is a monster against coastal towns, and the Mongolians can trample pretty much anything that's landlocked, though Japan is no slouch there, either.

Songhai probably strikes the best balance between the two.

Overall, Japan is definitely one of the top warmongers, though I would say there are very few scenarios where I don't see Mongolia outdoing them.

My favourites are Mongolia and Denmark. I also like playing Russia for the extra resources. Japan are good, but I'll take a beserker with amphibious and three moves over a samurai with bushido.

Plus the berserker keeps amphibious as it upgrades to ski infantry, and even on a pangea or large continents the move+attack feature is more useful than the zero.

I'm currently playing Germany and I have not thought about warmongering, but since I am such a player that wants to use the abilities of the civ I play so it just went down that way.
I had my first all-out war on my continent with warriors. I only took one city (from Spain) but with warriors I must say that's fairly good. This was in the beginning so for peace I got another city (a crappy one, but still).
The second wave was with Landsknechts (surprise). Not the strongest horse in the stable, but cheap and since you are german you can have a lot of them.
The third wave was with panzers across the sea. I was lucky, I got a lot of oil.
The fourth wave will (perhaps) be with some modern units, although I don't have so many Aluminium.
In between the waves I build up and stabilize my Reich. So with Germany you could be a warmonger during the Ancient era, Medieval area and the Industrial era and a builder during the Classic era, Renaissance era, and perhaps also the Modern era. Best of both things.

I have only tested out Denmark briefly so I don't know how good they are with this type of games. The only other civ (besides Germany) I have done this with is Japan and that was really good regardless of era. Sure they are slightly better during the medieval and Industrial eras but their ability is was make them so good.

My favorite is Aztec, they are just so much fun.

The best one I think is Mongolia. Nothing beats an army with mobility led by Khans, Khesiks are just a bonus.

Hiawatha would be the best (worst?) warmonger in my experience. Especially at the time of them having their UU.

Persia - the golden age bonus gives +10% and extra movement

Also immortal spam for early war

Japan's ability is verry good for military not only for ground units but sea units because sea units only heal within your borders but for japan they fight at fulls trenght...
Only weakness is there ability dont count when they are atacked by range atacks so they do have a weakness.

However i found 1 civ the most powerfull warmonger on a land map:
Mongolia because the of the keshik. Its a verry good unit that can even kill rifleman shoot and walk away and they are getting promotions faster(so if you build them with baracks and armory start with 2 schoks it only a few turns that he gets blits or march) at the end you all have extremely promoted cavalry units...

Russia is olso a good warmonger in the early game you will have a lot of iron.. And in the late game you will have so much uranium you can nuke the hell out of everybody or sell you"re extra uranium

Japan is hands down the best military civilization if you're fighting a defensive war. They aren'y weak on the offense at all though.

Denmark is really excellent on archipelago and small continents / continents. Relatively solid on other map types too - can often hold a large empire in the polar regions.

Providing there isn't a whole lot of rough terrain on your map, Mongolia can pretty much trample anything in the medieval era and to an extent the renaissance, beneath Keshik hooves. They are a good military civ pretty much all game long.

China is a very solid military civ, perhaps slightly better at defensive wars due to the chukonu than offensive but still very very solid at both kinds of warfare.

In the Ancient-Classical era Greece is a power house, but later on tends to be better at diplomacy.

Siam is great in the medieval era only because they have Narusan's Elephant which is an absolute top tier UU.

Russia is a very solid warmongering civ all the way through the game, but they're versatile - you're not restricted to a military victory as your resource advantage can be turned into a trade advantage.

Arabia is interesting as a later game oil-based warmonger. This is obviously more effective on slower game speeds.

Aztecs are great in the very early game, and pretty solid for the rest of the game as well.

Spain is good on continents / Terra, but not a super war focused civ.

Rome's effectiveness as an early game warmonger is entirely dependant on how much Iron you have access to.

England is a great war civ in the medieval era because of the longbowman (which can be used great offensively because of its range) and is basically the master of the seas. No other civ even HAS a naval UU yet. Here's hoping for a Korean turtle ship UU :)

Jannissary makes the Ottomans good, and their UA is now a lot better.

I'm yet to see how Germany is, but the -25% discount on unit maintenance is sure to be really useful and help fuel offensive wars.

If you can keep happiness under control and keep the momentum of conquest, Songhai are really great as well.

Overall I would say these are the tiers for warfare:

Top tier:

Denmark
Japan
England
China
Mongolia
Songhai

Mid tier:

Germany
Aztecs
Russia
Greece

Fair tier:

Ottomans
Rome
Arabia
Russia
Siam
Spain
Arabia

Low tier:

Every other civ.

I'd also like to add some love for China. For a while the CKNs are horrifyingly good, even against cities (and I guess they must be even better post patch). After a while their effectiveness against cities is reduced, but that doesn't last long before you upgrade them to Blitzing Riflemen and they're ridiculous again.

I don't play the Mongols much and don't have Denmark so I could see those being even better, but I'd at least put China > Japan for warmongering.

China is great all around for warfare. The GG's are nearly twice as effective as everyone else's, every unit has the GG1 promotion for free, and CKN's are a fantastic upgrade to an already excellent early game unit. Plus, the CKN's can be custom built/bought right before rifling to get an immediate logistics rifleman army.

Land map - Mongolia
Sea map - Denmark

Mongolias Keshik + Khan + horsemen combo is unstoppable up until Rifling if used with just basic tactical understanding. The 5-6 moves per turn are also awesome compared to the 2 moves per turn you get with classic longswords/rifles/etc.. rushes, which makes the latter feel like warfare in slow motion.

I think your maybe under rating Germany. If you get a really aggressive German player, he can simply swamp you in the early game with warriors/LS by converting barbs. My biggest problem in the new patch with Germany is staying within the supply limits early - and wiping out a couple of nearby neighbors with warriors is easily doable. And if you lose a few rats in the pack, who cares?

Upgrade path is cheap as you usually have filled out the honor tree by classical age. And your getting gold and culture points for kills.

The Azetcs are another one who can create a "killer" infantry unit. The Jag warrior with woodcraft and a couple of promotion upgrades can create fits for anyone. I didn't really understand how effective this could be until I played a new game with them. The double points for cultural kills lets them blizt the SP trees, they have no money problems, and can produce a dozen Jags that will last all game. Given all that, plus the rapid growth, these guys become production giants that can crank out military units all day long faster than anyone else.

At least in my opinion, the early jump these two civs get put them ahead of everyone else - or at least equal - for a domination victory on anything except a sea heavy map.

Japan is hands down the best military civilization if you're fighting a defensive war. They aren'y weak on the offense at all though.

The Persians are pretty damn monstrous on the defense, too. I dunno when it was patched, but Immortals heal 4 HP per turn in friendly borders. They're pretty incompatible with the UA, though, since you'd have to be crazy to not rush Civil Service, and it is a long way from there to Rifling. With Rifling (and, eventually, March and Medic on your units), you'll be pretty damn unstoppable.

I find France one of the most enjoyable transistional warmongers to play, namely because there actually warfare takes place much later on and relies on pure industrial economic might.

Basicaly just play Liberty - Honour - Autocracy/Order

Liberty France grows extremely quickly in the new patch in respect to everything. Just peacefuly settle rapidly. You expand fast, your culture booms, your population grows from having so many cities, so you tech rises and your production sky rockets.

Once you hit musketeers you start pumping them out and by the time you hit Autocracy/Foreign legion you'll just have overwhelming numbers on your side and the means to fund it.

Japan is my favorite civ... Most versatile civ in game IMHO.
It has a great UU like Samurai in a perfect moment of the game.
It allow you to play defensive and offensive game style. A small army is very powerfull in japan civ.

Greetings

Zeke

Post Patch I say Songhai

Their UU is essentially the equivalent of pre-patch LS, with added movement.
With the overhaul of happiness and push towards annexing rather than puppeting, the triple gold from conquering make it easy to rush a courthouse.

All in all I think Songhai can make a good consistent push through the medieval era.

Mongolia is also a rather interesting one, Keshiks are one of the better UU, though with the improvement to Crossbowman, they may be on the fall.

Top Bottom