1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Japan the best warmonger civ hands down? or what is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Artifex1, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Hasire

Hasire Warlord

I really don't see how manduku is better than conquistador. Extra sight is so good. Keshiks are still the third best UU in the game, IMO. After Jannissarys and bersekers they are unstoppable. They might even be better than berserkers after the LS nerf. Steel is still a faster tech than chivalry, though.

2. Exterminas

Exterminas Warlord

It depends on your situation and your map.

If you are playing a close combat game, with little room for barbs, Japan is best.

But if you play on a large map, with lot of savage areas, or barbarian farming spots, as I like to call them, Songhai and Germany are probably the most powerful.

Why? Because farming barb camps with these civs allows you to pass the game without a single production city. Just buy or convert all your units and shove them into your enemies.

The patch made them even stronger with the honor changes ans Bismarcks ability that basically allows you to field 25% more troops.

3. Callonia

Callonia Deity

HEH Cute. :>

I play germans ALOT and what you said is ridiculous.

You still need production cities for the bulk of your army, any brutes that join your culture is a bonus.

A brute when you're in modern era requires at least minimum of 5-6 turns of upgrading that means if you're at mech infantry, seven turns of training the brutes to be able to move motor vehicles and wield rifles accurately and they'll be ready to contribute to your defense.

Its actually very balanced, and very pleasant when you colonize a large island, really large, and barb encampemtns is already there or just popped up to fight you. So you go and wipe them out, and some joined you? your defense force just got beefed up xD

And not even discussing the proximity of encampment to your borders, and the proximity of the brute's entrance into your borders, and right to the frontlines at where the battles is.

Remember. All barbarians have zero experience, that, could hurt them badly.

I've thrown zero experience units against units with high promotely exp the results was ugly.

4. vexing

vexing knows

aztec

5. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

I'm just playing Germany and I must say that the bonus brute ability is just a small bonus. If you get one you can build something else. This is very good, It gives you a head start, although it isn't enough to make an extremely early war. The extra large land army on the other hand is extremely powerful. At least so far (I still have the modern era to play) but damn what a large army I have.:D

6. codepoet

codepoet Commander of Cubicle 42

Russia.

The added resources make for a powerful early war.
    And the way I play, the Cossaks are tough: Everything they attack are weakened since I build a ton of artillery flavor units and archers. Cossak's special ability means even my archers I haven't got around to upgrading yet are useful. Eventually I end up with so many strategic resources I can sell those for more missing luxuries or gold too... which feeds the expansion.

7. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

Gotta be Mongolia. Keshiks just dominate everything for about two eras, and Khans make your whole army a crazy offensive machine for pretty much the whole game.
    Plus an utterly superfluous bonus against city-states!

My pick for "surprisingly excellent warmonger" though is Inca. The hill movement thing makes a surprisingly massive difference to offence in particular, both at the operational level of getting your troops to and from the front and the tactical level of getting units where you want them. Inca ranged units in particular are excellent, and will get considerably more shots off per turn for a given number of archers than a regular civ. Likewise very good siege (whose lack of speed is usually a bottleneck for offensives) and horsemen who can tear around the place and come and go out of nowhere.
    Oh also they're a production powerhouse, so lots of units too.

8. codepoet

codepoet Commander of Cubicle 42

I like the "surprisingly excellent warmonger" concept. Inca is a good one; also for me America is. Minutemen are not terribly useful themselves, but if you can churn out enough of them, their all tiles behave like roads + seeing further is quite effective once they're Riflemen or Infantry and so on

9. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

I'm a big fan of Darius for warring. Not saying he is the best but the +1 movement in a Golden Age is such a big deal when trying to outmaneuver an enemy.

Add in the fact you can build and buy more units with the :c5gold: and :c5production: boosts from your Golden Age - units that will hit 10% harder than normal.

10. qyll

qyll Prince

Japanese are excellent late game when you have a few units with blitz. Three full strength attacks a turn with mech infantry? Yes please!

11. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

I'm really glad Firaxis finally gave the Mongols the warmonger capability they deserve - unlike Civ 4.

12. linearcore

linearcore Chieftain

I wouldn't count out America for Renaissance or later wars. Minutemen built in a city with Barracks and an Armory can have Drill III, Ignore Terrain, and Sentry. They are super scouts. And they keep all these promotions after upgrades. Spam Minutemen in the Renaissance, and your army will be top tier for the rest of the game.

Imagine Mech. Infantry with Sentry, Drill III, and Ignore Terrain.

13. Revoran

Revoran Prince

Keejus, yeah that's true about Persia, I always overlook them, they are at least mid tier (mostly due to early wars not being as common as medieval wars).

Also if you're playing a low sea level map, or a pangea map, England are definately moved to mid tier because the Lowbowman (awesome as it is) is definately they only asset in land warfare.

Mongolia certainly aren't as good on the defense as the offense, but have a strong passive defense due to the mobility of Keshiks. Never as good as a solid city defense, or a more stable defensive unit ala the Chu Ko Nu.

14. Roghar

Roghar Warlord

I'd say Japan overall - the other top warmonger civs are situational in terms of map or era, Bushido is awesome throughout

15. Babri

Babri Emperor

Rome can be a perfect warmonger in classical to Medieval era if u get enough iron (which is the main issue). Legions are very cheap & stronger, making them unstoppable. Once the war is over, you can rebuild economy much faster with their UA & after some time start a war again.
    Mongols are another great civ for warmongering. Infact they are better than Japan in my opinion. Most of the conquering is done around Medieval era so Mongols can steamroll everyone with their Super Keshliks & Khans. By the time u are finsihed with 2-3 civs, your Keshliks are powerful enough to even takedown rifles with ease.

16. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

Songhai. Lots of the other civs discussed have advantages - and I think Denmark or Mongolia (map-dependent) are probably the best at winning a war. The Songhai are the best at conquering the world. Their UA gold bonus on taking a city is enough to rush buy either a courthouse the turn after unrest ends in a city, or another military unit, which lets them sustain a war far better than anyone else. Their UU is strong and is a big factor in why they can dominate, but really any civ with solid UUs and the Honor track can win battles; the real trick is keeping things going as you lose units/as your empire stability from huge numbers of conquests increase.

17. Babri

Babri Emperor

The best thing about Mongols is that you are hardly going to loose any unit. As war goes on your Keshliks become the ultimate force which can defeat even rifles & cavalry.

18. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

Huh? You never chose Genghis as a leader and then ran a Keshik rush in Civ IV? If so, you missed some fun.

19. starrywisdom

starrywisdom Warlord

This. I think to be the 'best' in any classification it needs to be a general best. Some civs can be excellent warmongers if you get lucky and/or specifically set up match settings to do so(which I think is kinda cheating out part of the fun of the game). Japan is an excellent warmonger a grand majority of the time and aren't effected by nearly as many variables as everyone else is.

20. Misterboy

Misterboy Modern Major General

As an impartial outsider (I don't play for domination very often), and having read these forums extensively, Mongolia consistently and repeatedly is mentioned as the strongest warring Civ.

I'm just commenting on what I've seen here over the last several months. Don't shoot the messenger :)

Personally, I like Japan, because Japan is cool. Samurai are cool. Oda is cool. I almost never play them. But they're cool.