1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is John Kerry a Communist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Yankee, May 26, 2004.

1. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

Seems like the latest attack run on John Kerry is that he loves Communists....like one Daniel Ortega, former Communist dictator of Nicaragua that Iran-Contra fought.

So, there has been outrage coming from people like Sean Hannity and Steve Malzberg, conservative media members, over revelations of this long-lost picture of Kerry in Nicaragua with Ortega. Here is some of the Fox News transcript from Hannity & Colmes:

Straight from the source: Fox News

NOTE: Didn't put down the entire partial transcript since it runs over the 15,000 character limit......so.....link up for yourselves and if you want, paste some of the juicy bits onto this thread...or, I'll just go back and paste the thing here for you.

And for your enjoyment, the picture in question:

Now...I wonder where the outrage by conservative members over another long-lost photo....of Donald Rumsfeld as the special envoy to that mortal enemy, Saddam Hussein.

2. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Well this thread is useless, because you took away everyone's posts by posting that picture of Rumsfeld and Saddam. :p

3. The Yankee

For your enjoyment....the partial transcript posted at the link in the first post:

4. The Yankee

Damn you're fast.....anyway, just wanted to catch this wave while it started.

5. WillJ

WillJ Coolness Connoisseur

What you must understand about that first picture is that Kerry had one of those buzzer things in his hand. ;)

6. The Yankee

Why does Ortega look like Geraldo Rivera?

But it's quite funny to see people flat out attack Kerry for this picture when they were holding firm in defending Rumsfeld when some people brought out the picture. They should have just been side by side....saying, okay, these people shake hands with guys with mustaches....and that's it.

7. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

There's a big difference between the Rumsfeld picture and this one.

We (at least the conservative portion of us) were fighting communism in the 1980's. Kerry, who was by no means representing the U.S. administration at that time, visits a hostile communist dictator.

Rumsfeld was hired by Reagan to be an envoy to the Middle East, and he visited with Saddam Hussein, whom we were not fighting nor intended to fight.

As long as we're going on outrage with pictures, why doesn't someone speak up about this one?

I see three guys there, one looks like Churchill, one looks like FDR, but who is that other one? Super Mario? Uh, hey, that's Stalin! Why, we should tear down every school that bears the Roosevelt name on it! FDR should be dug up from his grave and slapped in the face!

8. The Yankee

I don't see the picture.....but dragging up these pictures it rather stupid.....but....hey, why not catch this wave while it's starting. As far as I know, it's only been coming out last night....so I expect to hear plenty more on this. Especially on the call-in talk shows.

9. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

It's from the Yalta conference, and I fixed the photo.

10. The Yankee

Yes....I know the photo....you could probably find one with Truman next to Stalin as well.....so....no point. I'm finding that dragging up these photos from 20-25 years ago are rather pointless.....but I'm prepared for the coming onslaught I predict with the latest photo of Kerry with a Geraldo Rivera wannabe.

11. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

Communist? With that haircut? Almost certainl!

12. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

lamo

Yes Kerry never fought for Hes country against communist by serving 2 tours earning 3 purple hearts and a Bronze star. (or was it a MM ???) That makes him a conservative right ? and visiting Brutal dictators ala Rummy makes him the ideal candiate for prez. :p

13. The Yankee

Well, Rumsfeld isn't running for President...but he is a member of the team that wanted (and has) walloped Hussein. There was some blasting from liberals about the Rumsfeld photo....but most of it was done outside the mainstream media. Not all, most.

Now, last night, this photo of Kerry was dragged out and laid the groundwork for a blasting spree by conservatives, which I've noticed last night on Fox News and while I was up all night listening to WABC Radio. I don't know if Limbaugh or Hannity's show (likely Hannity's show since it was on his TV show), et al. have picked up on this today.

14. cgannon64

Kremlin Kerry killed commies then he became one?

What a traitor! Hang him!

15. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Is Hannity who released the name of Joe wilson wife ??? Thus blowing the undercover CIA agent and jepodising intelligence operations ???. Didnt Bush snr call him an "Insidious tratior" ?

The Daily show
    "Yes Americans have the right to know the name of an undercover CIA agent"
    "No, Americans dont have to right to know who leaked the name to me"

Then John calls him a "dushbag for liberty"

16. cgannon64

No he's on Crossfire.

17. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

It doesn't matter that they met, although the photo is clearly embarressing, as was Rumsfelds. The Japanese PM met with North Korea's wackjob dictator just recently, it doesn't mean they are best friends. Diplomacy would get very cumbersome if you completely ignored all the bad people in the world, sometimes you have to talk with them.

What really matters is the context of the meeting. Junichiro Koizumi went to North Korea to secure the release of the children of kidnapped Japanese citizens, nothing wrong with that. John Kerry was trying to avoid bloodshed in Nicaragua. You may or may not agree with that, but it certainly isn't as controversial as some would clearly like to make out. Donald Rumsfeld went to Iraq to sell weapons to Saddam. Personally I see that as being significantly more controversial than the other two examples, but then whatever, make up your own mind.

Basically if you're conservative the photo is cast iron proof that Kerry is a clone of Stalin, if you're liberal it's vile right-wing propaganda, and if you're sane then it doesn't really mean anything worth considering. :crazyeye:

18. The Yankee

No....Robert Novak (Chicago Sun-Times, CNN's Crossfire) was the one who outed Valerie Plame.

19. Sanaz

Sanaz Gorilla Joe

And Kerry was wrong for not walking lockstep with Reagan's policies? Whatever. Kerry has shown that he will buck authority as appropriate over the years, and will fall right in line when required. Some call this wishy-washy or flaky, I think it's superb situational awareness and reaction.

20. GerrardCapashen

GerrardCapashen Benalish Master-at-Arms

Of the people mentioned in this thread, Novak is the traitorous one. :mad: :mad: