1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is John Kerry a Communist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Yankee, May 26, 2004.

1. Dr Jimbo

Dr Jimbo Undefeated

Okay, the point's been made but I'll also post my outrage at bashing Kerry for meeting a democratically elected president that Reagan then illegally fought to overthrow.

But then rmsharpe thinks dieting is communist because it's reducing consumption... :rolleyes:

2. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

:lol:

It's still amazing how many people would defend the whole Iran-Contra mess....but WHOA!! Kerry met with this guy 25 years ago! Back when all the influence he had on policy was a vote in the Senate (if the photo is even after 1985, whenever he joined the Senate).

3. MrPresident

MrPresident Anglo-Saxon Liberal

When you have little influence you have little to lose. When you have little to lose you are much more prepared to show your true colours. I don't think there is anything wrong with going back 25 years to discover the true feeling of a potential President. Unless, of course, you believe that everything a Presidential candidate says is what he really thinks.
    You could make the argument that it is precisely that 'commie growth' that makes made communism untenable in China.
    If Kerry cannot defend himself against this then he does not deserve to be President. All he has to do is tell the truth.

4. FredLC

FredLC A Lawyer as You Can See! Retired Moderator

I beg to differ. It's when they have power that they show his true colors, because only than they have the background to support their true ideas. After all, when does we confirm that "not everything a politician says is true"?

It's exactly when he is succesful and acts altogether differently than what he promissed.

Before achieving such "status" is exactly the time when emulating for compromises is more useful.

Regards :).

5. test_specimen

test_specimen hope lost

You have to love FoxNews for their freestyle jams in 20th century history. About as accurate as Hollywood movies and at least as entertaining.

And there is a lesson to be learned for your private life here: If you have ever done something you'd rather forget, either say it didn't happen, or repeat a story that is more in your favour often enough so it is taken for real.

6. Ossric

Ossric Hedonistic Ruler

MY GOD they're all commies!!

7. MrPresident

MrPresident Anglo-Saxon Liberal

Professional politicians want to keep power. Hence all the electioneering stunts pulled. For example, in Britain the MoD wants to send more troops to Iraq but the PM and Defence Minister don't want to until after the June 10th elections. They are hiding their true colours in order to maintain power.

On the Kennedy photo, lucky his hand is there.

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

I think the whole medal throwing and commie accusation arent really affecting voters its Kerry reaction , defence and justification that are important.

Dont worry they'll drag out Bush's Crimminal record, War dodging and Business failures.
    And watch as Bush along with the rest of America blindly ignor it all.

9. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

Both of them were President when they met with them.

10. Enkidu Warrior

Enkidu Warrior Ultramagnetic

The President is excused from Communism?

11. The Yankee

Only Presidents can meet with Commies? :confused:

12. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Generally, only Presidents, or those designated by them, are supposed to meet with foreign leaders in a role that purports to represent the US.

13. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Not to mention both visits had wide popular support.

14. The Yankee

I know. I'm not going to make believe I know the full purpose of Kerry's visit...though I doubt he gave them any promises from America and tried to play off as someone that could guarantee x, y and z.

15. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

bah... so many americans misuse the word communist... most don't even know what a communist is. I always though some people were so stupid they call you a commie when you think jobless, retired or sick should get money from the state... but I guess you can even be a commie by meeting a real communist while not being president of the United States! Wow! And it came from a real intelligent TV Network! (well, the TV Network that's.... very neo-conservative...)

16. The Yankee

I'm not calling him a Communist....but yes, I am mimicking the tactics used by some who smear Kerry at every opportunity. You know, where if he's in the same hemisphere as Hussein, then he must be a Hussein supporter....that kind of crap.

So behold!

And I thought a picture of Rumsfeld and Saddam in a similar picture (which someone like Hannity would defend to the death) would make a nice comparison.

17. jack merchant

jack merchant Internationalist

It seems they were actually on a fact-finding mission, according to the Boston Globe. Surely US Senators are alllowed to try and find out what's going on in the world ? And like others have mentioned, shaking hands with people is an almost unavoidable consequence of meeting them.

Rather fair, said the English (In fact, the opposition ended up with 37% of the vote). Given that the Sandinists were the prime movers in getting rid of the Somoza dictatorship which had robbed the country blind and turned it into a garbage dump, I think it's hardly surprising they won in a landslide, never mind their [lack of] ideological merits.

All this is not to say that the Sandinists were clean, far from it ! However, let's look at the facts a little more closely: by the time he was driven out, the latest Somoza and his cronies owned over 20% of arable land in Nicaragua; one can hardly be surprised that that was nationalized. Resistance against him strengthened after the wholesale theft of international aid after the devastating 1972 earthquake and the later murders of opposition figures (notably the editor of the leading anti-government paper, Pedro Chamorro) and indiscriminate targeting of civilians.
    His power base in the National Guard of course fled when he was overthrown, these contras were hailed by Reagan as the new Founding Fathers only before engaging in a campaign of drug-smuggling, extortion, terrorism and yet again deliberate targeting of civilians (as later acknowledged by the CIA), of course abetted by American support, official and unofficial. What did they do to get it ? Evoke the magic word 'communism', of course !
    Like a red flag to a bull, it seems Cold War America was prepared to back any murderous thug claiming to fight the Reds in the name of democracy and Nicaragua was no exception. Thus Iran-Contra, thus the support for rapists and murderers, thus the gross violation of international law that was the economic embargo and the mining of the entrances to the main Nicaraguan port. In the spirit of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', is it really any surprise that the Sandinistas turned to Moscow ? Nicaragua has had reason to fear the US since the 1850s, so was it surprising that at the time [1984] Nicaraguans would elect anyone who was perceived to stand up against them ?

Of course, it all did turn sour in the end; the Sandinistas turned out to be ready to violate human rights and take political prisoners and hold them in horrible circumstances as well, and Nicaragua was pushed into penury by the economic blockade. But it seems to me that a closer investigation of the true situation there like Kerry's in 1985 was eminently worthwhile, and many lives might have been saved had the US adopted a more sensible policy earlier. However, they chose to fund war and devastation in Central America instead, and prominent figures of the time are still at large in the Bush Administration (notably Negroponte and the perjurer Elliot Abrams).

18. FredLC

Professional politicians also want to GET power when they are out of it. This kinda defeates your "they got nothing to loose" point, huh?

Regards :).

19. FredLC

And was Kerry was representing the US?

20. samildanach

samildanach Necrophile

Kerry was far removed from power at the time of the photo - do you really think he was considering the consequences his actions might have decades later? I think Mr.Ps point holds, I also think it shows that Kerry lacks the ability to plan several steps ahead - not a good thing in a potential leader.