Is Joining a game a commitment?

which do you pick?

• I join and quit games as i feel like it. dont even think of others' reactions.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Internet is annonimous for a reason. i quit...you mad... so? what can you do to me?

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • i try to guage my time well, so i know i'll have enough time for a game i join.

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • i only quit if real life UNEXPECTADLY/UNPREDICTABLY makes it hard to stay in.

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • if i join the game i stick it out, even if it becomes a bother.

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

RoddyVR

Veteran Board NESer
When you join an NES do you think of it as a commitment to the Game Mod and the other players?
I get very annoyed at people who quit games for crapy reasons.
But maybe i'm the only one who thinks that quiting cause you dont feel like playing any more is a BAD thing.

maybe the rest of the NES community considers these games as a light excuse to not do something else (like work/homework) and that quiting in the middle of a game is perfectly fine and should be expected.

if you were to start playing a game with your friends sitting around a table, would you think it ok, if one of them just all of a sudden got up and said "screw this i dont wanna play anymore" right in the middle of the game, with no warning, and no reason (he decided to go watch tv instead lets say).
what if you were just starting to do good in the game, would you get annoyed at him? rightly so?

so why do people think its different in NESing?
why do so many consider that joining a game, just to quit (for lack of time) a week later is perfectly fine?
when you join a game, do you think of how much free time you realy have to devote to it, and how much it will require, and will your free time shrink considerably in the forseeable timeframe of the game (making you have to quit in the middle of the game)?

while i post this because of a couple players that have quit my game recently, i do not mean this as an attack at them (i did that in the game already). i just want ot know if hte general attitude in this forum to this question is so different from my opinion that i should just find a new place to try playing games. somewhere where people take their comitments to the games (if not the games themselves) more seriously.

I join and quit games as i feel like it. If i dont feel any attachment to the country im controlling and all im ordering is grow economy then its pointless sticking around.

I sometimes have done this - that I join but then I don't commit as much.
I try to avoid doing this and it only happens if I am honestly really busy with either NESs I've already been in or with life in general or both of these things.
And I mean it's not about "oh I'm really into it. I love the country I created. I absolutely love it love it love it". It's about doing something and sticking with it.
You gotta consider that it's not just you who makes the commitment, it's also the mod. You create or join as a country and write up orders for it and stories, yes, but in the updates, it's the mod who has to look at your orders, make sure he/she doesn't miss anything (which, try as I might, happens to me quite a few times nevertheless), fix your stats accordingly, and write at least somewhat interesting update-stories involving your country (otherwise it would be really really boring for you as well). If you join a NES and then suddenly quit just because you feel like quitting, then that can send a message to the mod that the NES is boring, it's not being done right at all, that people are already losing a lot of interest in it, etc. It's very discouraging.
And, again, if you join and quit just on a whim, you're wasting the mod's time because the mod does have to do his/her share to make your country interesting, and just quitting for no good reason is a blatant disregard and disrespect.

If you see something that you think would look cool but that you know that ultimately you won't be able to follow or won't be able to commit enough to, then don't join it.

I have only quit one Nes, in all the other's the mod had either disappeared or quit. As well, the only reason I quit the one Nes was because as time went on, I felt extremely limited by the ruleset as well as bored because most other people had quit already. Even when I was losing in UK's Nes, I didn't quit even though I really wanted to, because that would spoil the fun for others. Nesing is a commitment, just like anything else in life. Don't do it if you can't keep up with it.

I am of the opinion we should burn you at the stake Roddy ;)

However, about the topic at hand i'm not really sure. Joining a nes is a form of commitment, but any real life stuff takes priority over nesing for me. If say I don't have enough time for homework and etc, I'll quit a nes instead of quitting a club at school for example.

NESsing to me dosen't really require much of a comitment to me, since the games are so easy to play to me. I just have to cheack 2-3 times a day to see if anything has changed in the games I am playing. Even writeing a short story dosen't really take much time. I plan on sticking to the games I am in untill they die.

I have NEVER quit an NES and hopefully never will. And about moderating, I'd only quit if I:
a) Am lose my internet connection.
b) Everyone else quit.
c) Armageddon comes.
d) I receive too many death threats from disgruntled nations :p

Lord Iggy, das has been recieving death threats for a long time and he still didn't quit moderating yet. Actually he becomes more energetic after reading the death threats...

With the death threat thing, I only get worried if I catch people hunting down my name and adress.

Note to self: Change location in user profile.

You're from Yukon Canada! Now to track your IP address down.... :lol:

This just the way the world works. Some people will be pretty reliable while others are less so... and in different ways.

IF this is about me saying I weas intrested in your new nes (and I am) and then quitting due to extenuating circumstances I do apologise roddy, I cannot help it. Keep in mind I will keep my eye on your game and offer lurker's comments (something I havent done for more than a year) possibly.

Joining a NES is a commitment, and you should have a good reason for dropping out.

Sheep said:
IF this is about me saying I weas intrested in your new nes (and I am) and then quitting due to extenuating circumstances I do apologise roddy, I cannot help it. Keep in mind I will keep my eye on your game and offer lurker's comments (something I havent done for more than a year) possibly.
no, sheep, this is in no way cause of that. the thread you said you'd join in wasnt even a joining thread, it was a preview. i kept you on the "had said he was interested" list for a few days, then removed you. never added you into the game. as far as i was concerned you never joined the game in the first place.

its interesting to see that only half the people on this board "try to guage my time well, so i know i'll have enough time for a game i join."

next game i make i'll make sure to put that into the first post. "please try to figure out if you realy will have time any day other then today to do anything in this game" lol.

well, i must say, the responses arent as discouraging as i thought they would be. i guess i just notice the "noncommiting" crowd more then the ones that stick around.

erez87 said:
What about a thread for MOD commitment to his games?
start one if you want (its a free forum ;) ). look at my sig and you'll know that i agree with your sentiment.

I think it is a commitment, and I think you shouldn't quit unless you have a good reason, and I also think getting tired of the game is a good reason to quit it. Which explains all the nesses I have quit. Altough when a NES starts to feel boring, I usually wait several turns before quitting (in case it becomes interresting - because usually all NESes have their boring times).

The most usual reason for my quitting, though, has been unexpected lack of time and/or internet connection.

You're from Yukon Canada! Now to track your IP address down....

Hah! It wouldn't be that hard if someone REALLY wanted to hunt me down. There are only about 30 000 of us living in the Yukon, about 5000 with computers, and about 20 of us who play civ, and oh, 2 of us in Civfanatics (if anyone knows dragon13)

Hmm, I might be making this too easy for him. Better check if my user profile shows my email address...

Top Bottom