[R&F] Is liberating an AI city an easy cheat in diplomacy?

Prester John 2

Warlord
Hi y'all!
I guess many of you have used this: Wage war against an AI opponent, take some cities, make peace. When of the newly taken cities rebels retake it and liberate it back to its former master, the AI civ. This gives you 20+ diplomacy point thus negating many negative points for warmongering or "you took one of my cities". Should this be considered a cheat?

...Should this be considered a cheat?

I would say not since it is explicitly built in to the game mechanics. Also, there is no easy way to trigger a rebellion in a city just for the purposes of recapturing then liberating it -- as we speak, one of my cities is a former CS that I captured in a war for strategic reasons that no longer apply, and I would love to "liberate" it but it seems content to remain under my authority.

It seems counter-productive, instead of taking their cities only to gift them back in a less productive form, you could just pillage all of their tiles for extra yields to you.

If I border the liberated city, I'll steal as many tiles as I can before returning it. =p

And yes, I would consider it an exploit especially if you repeatedly liberate the same city. You can have stupid things like having allies in a domination victory. I think there should be a cooldown (say 20 turns) if you liberate the same place.

If it's the best use of your time then it is an exploit but it should be better to pillage tiles and return any penalised cities in diplomacy for warmonger refund.

Top Bottom