Is microsoft gonna let students do a 'clean' install of windows 7?

J-man

Deity
I want to have windows 7 64 bit (home premium). So I went to this (Dutch) website
that offers cheap software, you just got to have a student license. Great joy when I saw they offer windows 7 ULTIMATE 64 bit for 70 €(!). I thought to myself "great deal." (windows 7 ultimate normally costs 300 € Unfortunately this is only the upgrade version, since I have vista 32 bit it useless for me. Anyone knows if microsoft is going to sell windows 7 64 home premium (not upgrade) under a student license?

I think that depends on the version you buy. Either way, you can install vista, without activating it, and do an upgrade install over that.

Clicky, should also apply for 7. Print out the article before you start (I got confused the first time and had to keep running to my mom's computer to find out the next instruction)

I think that depends on the version you buy. Either way, you can install vista, without activating it, and do an upgrade install over that.

I doubt it will work because it clearly say you need a legal version, I assume 7 does a genuine advantage check

Clicky, should also apply for 7. Print out the article before you start (I got confused the first time and had to keep running to my mom's computer to find out the next instruction)

I'm not sure it will work. It's risky, if it doesn't work I will have wasted 70 euros..

Perhaps I can get a legal xp 64 bit version, that will work and it will be a clean install. Otherwise I might just buy the 32 bit version, it's still a good deal and I guess my computer will be able to handle 32 bit games fine for some time to come.

I doubt it will work because it clearly say you need a legal version, I assume 7 does a genuine advantage check
Wait, do you already have a legal version of windows? That all you need then. Windows 7 can only upgrade from Vista if you want to keep all your programs and files. If you're fine with a clean install, it will do it from almost any version of windows from the last decade. W2K, XP, or god forbid, ME. Its just that when it goes to actually install, it will do a clean install instead of an 'upgrade'

Wait, do you already have a legal version of windows? That all you need then. Windows 7 can only upgrade from Vista if you want to keep all your programs and files. If you're fine with a clean install, it will do it from almost any version of windows from the last decade. W2K, XP, or god forbid, ME. Its just that when it goes to actually install, it will do a clean install instead of an 'upgrade'

The problem isn't that I can't upgrade. The problem is I can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit.

This is a long shot but is it possible to upgrade from windows 7 RC? I have the 64 bit version of the RC.

Okay, here's how it works
If you have Windows Vista, Windows 7 will do a true upgrade, it will copy its files in, put the old Windows directory into Windows.old and attempt to maintain your programs. This means that if you have 32-bit Vista, you will be getting 32-bit Windows 7.
For XP and below, the installer will verify that you have a valid Windows installation, and then proceed to do a clean install. It will wipe the disk, and put on a brand-spanking new installation of Windows 7. This should allow you to use 64-bit Windows 7 even if you had a 32-bit OS as your previous one.

And yes, if you have an activated installation of the Windows 7 RC, it should allow you do do an upgrade from it.

For XP and below, the installer will verify that you have a valid Windows installation, and then proceed to do a clean install. It will wipe the disk, and put on a brand-spanking new installation of Windows 7. This should allow you to use 64-bit Windows 7 even if you had a 32-bit OS as your previous one.

The description on the websites was clear: If you want to upgrade to windows 7 64 you need XP 64, so no win XP 32 --> win 7 64

And yes, if you have an activated installation of the Windows 7 RC, it should allow you do do an upgrade from it.

I gonna boot up my win 7 64 and download the freakin upgrade advisory, if works I'm in business :clap:

It's possible. It might need a little registry tweaken but it's not too hard, the work around was published by microsoft.

From the website:
Systeemvereisten

OS: MS Windows Vista Home Basic; Home Premium; Business; Ultimate 64-bits (x64) / XP 64-bits (x64)
Processor: 1 GHz 64-bits (x64) of sneller
Systeemvereisten = system requirements

I got Windows 7 yesterday and installed, it went fine. I couldn't install in from vista (no surprise there.) I installed it from win 7 RC, I can confirm there is no work around needed. Just pop in the cd and install, although I didn't upgrade but I did the custom install (a complete new one).

As you can see I downloaded win XP mode. I can now play pinball! (although the frame rate is a bit low :lol:)

Top Bottom