1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is military the only possible way to beat Deity?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Athenaeum, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Chieftain

My friend (who was 3 turns away from beating a Deity game once) said that he thinks the only possible way to beat Deity is through military - by taking resources from other players. Because if you were to try and win through any other victory type alone, you would not be able to accumulate enough science/culture/gold to do so on your own.

He made this statement about the Vanilla version, although if it were true, I don't why it wouldn't apply to the DLC as well.

Has anyone ever beaten Deity, and if so, what type of victory did you get? If you got military victory, do you think it would be possible to get different victory types?

(of course if you eliminated all civs except the weakest, and then won science, that would be different, but you still FOCUSED on military)

Bonus question for Deity veterans: IS it still advisable to go early National College on Deity, or would that be delaying military too long?

2. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

I'm not a Deity player but have beaten Deity on the DCL#5-Inca, and DCL#20-Spain with SV in both cases. DCL#20 is a lot easier and it is probably impossible to loose unless you make too many mistakes.

I'd say getting an early NC is key to survival as you should be catching up from then on. Military shouldn't be neglected on Deity or you will pay.

3. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Chieftain

What is DCL? You mean DLC?

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

He's referring to the Deity Challenge Line-Up series, which is an informal challenge series conducted in the Strategy & Tips forum.

5. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Chieftain

6. Myth and Legend

Myth and Legend Chieftain

I've won a cultural and science victory on Deity while being about 1 and a half months into Civ 5 with no prior experience at all save for SMAC.

7. BARBEERIAN

BARBEERIAN Chieftain

Domination Victory is IMHO the second hardest way to win on deity, just due to the sheer amount of units you have to slog through. Science and diplomacy are far easier to win. If you stay on top of your diplomacy you can get away with a small military most of the time. A few range units and meatshields are generally enough to hold off an invasion long enough to make peace. There are exceptions of course.

8. Sessy

Sessy Chieftain

I think the real question is this:

is military the hardest way to win on deity. I think the answer is yes for some civs, and culture victory being second hardest. playing against an ai who can pump out units like crazy is not easy, so is getting influential vs an ai that builds wonders like crazy.

science is the easiest way to win, especially if OP would just pick a certain nebby mentioned in the other question.

9. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Most important word IMHO emphasized:

I think your friend might have been talking about all victory types and not just a domination victory per se. At Deity, I was really struggling with turtling to an SV (something that worked fine for me up to Immortal). Now I am being much more aggressive early game -- and having a much easier time with things. Ironically, I still have not won a domination game. I keep falling back to SV when my domination runs have stagnated late game. Now if I were shooting for an SV from the beginning, presumable that would make things easier for me!

10. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Chieftain

You're saying SV with Babylon? I haven't tried it yet with Babylon, but on Vanilla, whenever I would go early NC, then straight to Education, straight to Public Schools, etc., I still could not keep up scientifically with the AI's on Deity.

11. Myth and Legend

Myth and Legend Chieftain

You should read some guides. You have to grow your cities tall.