Is multiplayer better now?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Patty14, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Patty14

Patty14 Chieftain

I know in the past few years multiplayer was a mess, but I was wondering how it is today.
    Is it plagued by the same problems, or did they release some patches and fix it all up?
    I'm only really looking to play with 4-5 friends + me, all on steam.

(Btw I have Brave new world, if thats relevant)

Thanks

2. SULOMON

SULOMON Mod Civs Best Civs.

Multiplayer is still pretty buggy.

3. Patty14

Patty14 Chieftain

How so? Unplayable with some friends?

4. calad

calad Emperor

Unplayable? No. Mind-destroying? Yes.

Lagg lagg lagg. Very long loading times, extreamly badly working joining and everything takes a lot of time. Civ5 MP is simply one of worst I have ever encountered, If you can avoid MP then avoid it. It is not simply fun.

We had a MP game which we documented there:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523779

later +300 turns everybody had so many units lagg became even worse, so once again: avoid if you can.

5. Karavirs

Karavirs Chieftain

If your and yours friends internet and connectivity between all players is good, then it's ok. I often play with friends, and problems appears rarely. But if at least one of players have bad connectivity with one of other players, then it's pain.

6. Xaviien

Xaviien Chieftain

I've only played 1 RT MP game, and it's still in progress, but it seems to be going ok, although it is a local game against my wife, so no lag.

Giant Multiplayer Robot allows you to play Hot Seat games over the net with randoms, which is how I generally play, due to time restrictions.

In around 10 games, I've only really encountered 1 horrible bug, which is the game getting confused between one of the other players and an AI, ending my deals with the player when I declare war with the AI, and giving the player a Great Prophet from the same AI's religion.
    Very strange and annoying, but not game breaking in a GMR game since you can just revert to the previous turn.

7. Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron CP5

Calad appears to be a single player who lightly stepped into the MP world.

Here is the complete story from a hardcore multiplayer.

Its usually all about yours and other players connections. For example, we regularly play 8 man games with people with pings less than 125.

The typical is a 6 man game, just avoid players that have slow internet, or repeatedly drop. This game doesn't play well with guys using wifi I have found also.

This isnt Single player, there will be lag. In a good game its 1-2seconds. In a very bad game its 10seconds for a move. (those games we usually quit)

Once in a while there are sync issues. Causing the game to resync or crash. This is the worst cause of crashes in MP. Often caused by players moving last seconds in the turn.

To fix that, make sure you can see the ping to all players in the game lobby before starting any game. And if rejoining after a sync error, that is even more critical.

Overall, CIV5 MP stability is about a 5 of 10. Best tho, if played with good internet low ping to u players.

8. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

I played a game with a friend, civ5 bnw, standard map, quick game. Took about 12 hours, saved fairly regularly in case of a crash, but it worked perfectly fine throughout the game. No crashes, just one little hick-up when it started loading and some graphic distortion appeared, but it was just a temporary thing.

9. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

Yes, civ V multiplayer is horribly laggy and unstable, but its fun as heck! And it works best in duels or team duels, where the games are not that long.

10. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

Kyp has painted an accurate picture of real world MP, SP players also have to realize that for successful MP you should avoid playing MP with any AI code in your game. One of the biggest bottlenecks in this game in general because of the 1UPT mechanism is that unit pathfinding, and adding AI civs adds more computing power required for pathfinding and all the other decisions the game has to make for an AI civ. So do everything Kyp says WRT customizing the game players for low ping, and play only humans...it's funner in the end anyway.

CS

11. anandus

anandus Errorist

It varies. As you can read some people experience problems. But in the other hand me and my friends hardly every notice bugginess or bad lag and we've put many hundreds of hours in the game.
    I almost exclusively play multiplayer, singleplayer isn't my thing, playing against AI is nothing copared to playing with humans.

And compared to earlier versions it's a lot more stable, resyncs work very good now.

12. calad

calad Emperor

I think it says more than anything on this thread that nobody said civ5 MP is good and working.

13. Patty14

Patty14 Chieftain

What I'm getting out of it is, if all the players have good connection, you'll be fine.

14. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

No, because there's still the lack of native mod support and AI slots are still dumbed down versions of their SP counterparts that never contact you (gutting game systems such as intrigue).

15. mrfyzv

mrfyzv Chieftain

For me is always better than the multiplayer with bots

16. civjou

civjou Chieftain

I will never understand multiplayer strategy game players who want AI bots as opponents.

17. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

Several have said it works fine.

18. Foffaren

Foffaren King

Fine and good is not really the same. It is fine, you can manage, but a good MP game will not have disconnects, lag and unbalanced civs.
    I would think most of us are happy with it. We can work around it. You shouldn't have to, but we can.

I'd say it's the people you play with that makes it fun. PEOPLE, not AI mind you. It's called multiplayer for a reason.

19. Silverfuturist

Silverfuturist King

MP still has a huge problem, the "trade bug." If you play strangers, you still have to worry about this!:mad: Here is how it works - if you send somebody a deal, they can modify the deal and accept it for you (you can do the same to them, but I am assuming you will not.) Meaning they can steal all of your cities, resources and gold whenever you ask for a deal! And you can do NOTHING about it, except avoid playing strangers... or never asking for any deals against strangers.

20. Xaviien

Xaviien Chieftain

Truer words were never spoken.

Even the trade bug can be worked around, and even when playing with "strangers".
    There are plenty of organised groups, such as CivPlayers, NoQuitters etc where people just do not exploit the bug, not only out of fear of consequences, but also because they are (generally) groups of respectful players.
    Personally, I've found that the CiV community is one of the friendliest I've been involved in, where people will go out of their way to NOT exploit bugs, because winning is not the only way to have fun.

Play some GTA MP and you'll see what I mean.