Is my Hardware OK to play big games on large maps?

zekeand

Chieftain
Hi all.

I am a civ player since '94... I am very exited about getting CivV, but I an reluctant to spend U$S100 (in my country that's a lot of money) without know if I will be able to play it normally.
In theory my dell laptop cover the systems requirements (Intel core 2 duo with 4Gb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670)
I like to play BIG Marathon games in huge worls.

Is my Hardware ok to do it?

Thanks in advance

Zeke

Hi all.

I am a civ player since '94... I am very exited about getting CivV, but I an reluctant to spend U$S100 (in my country that's a lot of money) without know if I will be able to play it normally.
In theory my dell laptop cover the systems requirements (Intel core 2 duo with 4Gb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670)
I like to play BIG Marathon games in huge worls.

Is my Hardware ok to do it?

Thanks in advance

Zeke

No tenés porque gastar 100 dolares, entrá en mercadolibre te lo venden a 120 pesos.
http://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/civilization v

Y si, va a funcionar en tu maquina. Si tenes problemas avisame.

Translated: It works.

I have an iMac with 4670 HD ati radeon 4gb memory and the game crawls in late on a huge map. I don't know why you would give this guy wrong information. This game isn't playable by any standards on a huge map with his specs. I made an account just to say this as I feel that the information you gave him may have gotten him to think that the game will run well on a huge map. It won't.

The time between turns is almost unbearable and when you zoom out you will get an fps drop. I wish someone would have told me this before I bought the game.

Then it's maybe something with the Mac graphics card drivers, or something else is using up too much power :dunno:, but the hardware is definitely suitable for the game. I'd suggest that you take a look at your drivers, maybe an update could help.

Updating your video card drivers in Mac OS X couldn't be easier: Just use the built-in Software Update, and your drivers will automatically be updated.

the video card is of course 256 mb and the ram is 4gb in case you thought that the 4670 was 4gb.

Just looked at the specs again, and i have to admit that we were wrong, that system is a bit below the recommend specs :blush:, but that should not be the main reason for the slowdown :think:.
DX9 or DX11? (i don't thnk there should be a DX11 option, but better ask...)

Updating your video card drivers in Mac OS X couldn't be easier: Just use the built-in Software Update, and your drivers will automatically be updated.

the video card is of course 256 mb and the ram is 4gb in case you thought that the 4670 was 4gb.

Dude 256 mb for Vram is just at the minimum, it makes sense if you have slow speed, specially for Mac. Civ is video intensive if it's a big map, recommended specs are usually for standard sized maps.

I was not claiming my card with 256 ram being fast. How can the 1 that responded to the OP be so sure that his card is 512? If his card has the same size as mine.

afaik hd 4670 cards can have 256mb and 512.

I was not claiming my card with 256 ram being fast. How can the 1 that responded to the OP be so sure that his card is 512? If his card has the same size as mine.

afaik hd 4670 cards can have 256mb and 512.

It might be a different version with more Vram, I dunno. He hasn't answered yet.

As long as you can run it fine you shouldn't worry, can you run it?

First of all: I´d Like to thank to all of you that gave me advices...

I finally bought the game, It runs flawlessly in my laptop.

In Late Huge Map/Marathon games it´s a bit slow between turns, but I can take the delay.

Sjru: Gracias por el consejo. Lo terminé comprando por Steam porque no estoy en capital, y se me complicaba el viaje. Igualmente anda bárbaro. Con los parche irá mejorando eventualmente, estoy un poco por debajo de los requerimientos recomendados, pero se la banca GENIAL....

Thanks to all...

Zeke

Top Bottom