1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Is Nihang overpowered?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Lily_Lancer, May 22, 2020 at 6:01 AM.

1. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

It can get +45 strength, so 70 base strength at military academy. With good promotions that gives it +10 strength, +1 movement and an additional +7 strength when flanked.

70 strength unit with only 200 faith. It seems that Nihang is much better than Cossack, which is already a great UU, at the same tech req with Nihang. Cossack is 67 strength and costs 680 faith.

Maybe I shall back for Lahore for being the most overpowered CS.

2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

It is certainly odd that the strength scales through the game but the price does not.

3. Denkt

Denkt Reader

A massive oversight indeed.

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  4. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo Warlord

That unit singlehandedly won me any appease the gods competition in the late game. 200 Faith for a 70 CS unit is bonker.

5. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

I don't think so? You need to be the suzerain of Lahore and you need some form of faith income. Situationally OP isn't any different than some of the other insane bonuses city states offer (like Bologna)

6. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Yep, though not really surpirsed when they sell OP stuff in DLC. :O

Kjimmet, Nerevatar, Icicle and 3 others like this.
  7. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Warrior Monks should have their strength scale over time like this one does.

8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

First thing I thought of.

9. criZp

criZp Emperor

well obviously, this doesn't make the unit any less powerful
    presumably you already had that when you pursued the suzerain-status of this city-state

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

"Overpowered" implies game-breaking. It's quite cheap at 200 Faith, but otherwise it's just a standard melee infantry unit. Remaining suzerain of a popular city-state isn't always that easy.

It is a bit odd that the Faith cost doesn't escalate as it does with other Faith-purchased units, but... I'm not ready to light the emergency beacons over it. It's not overpowered like... +1 movement to all units for the entire game. :D

Hakan-i Cihan, kaspergm and sonicmyst like this.
  11. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

Do you do a lot of Warmongering in your games??

12. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

The +1 movement is just as valuable for workers, scouting units, settlers and religious units, not least in the early game.

Civrinn likes this.
  13. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I don’t get why they just didn’t link Monk and Nihang Strength to either World Era or the owners Civics or Tech Tree. Much easier way to ensure combat scaling.

Casworon likes this.
  14. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Because they want you to put some effort into it.

AriochIV likes this.
  15. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Monk. Found Religion. Get Monk Follower Belief. Have enough faith. Not get it killed before you promote it.

Nihang. Find Lahore. Get Suzerain. Have enough faith. Not get it killed before you promote it.

That’s sounds like more then enough effort by itself.

16. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Yes, but Monks don't get better. The Nihang do. So, more effort is required.

Uberfrog likes this.
  17. DogeEnricoDandolo

The thing is you don't even need to keep this unit alive, its strength does not lie in its promotions. The promotions are cool but when you unlock Military Academy (industrial), you basically have a dirt cheap Infantry that requires a third of Infantry's gold maintenance and no resource maintenance, and your "Infantry" comes an Era earlier, even sooner if you are strong in science. Not to mention, the tech that unlocks infantry and the refining oil tech are awkward as hell, they lie in both opposite sides of the tech tree, so if you are strong in Science, you basically have a super cheap infantry that comes 1.5-2 eras earlier that completely reign the battlefield. The comparison with the monks and the regular melee units are kinda irrelevant, Nihang is so strong it doesnt even need any promotion to be dominant.

18. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

There are a handful of situationally OP CS: Akkad, Cathage, Kandy, Kumasi, Nan Madol, Yerevan..
    I don't mind as long as they keep it to only a few. If they make all new CS so strong it will be a problem.

19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Have you thought about the new CS? Most are OP, even Vatican city is pretty good... but Caguana?... Geneva + Taruga?...I feel a Kupe game may be in order

20. DogeEnricoDandolo

Taruga is hilariously strong, not sure about Caguana though, never seen it with the Batey in my game. Met Lahore twice in both the Maya and GC runs, the Nihang is so strong I didn't even use Llanero and conquered everyone from Ancient/Classical all the way to Modern era. Somehow GC's siege units can all move and shoot in the same turn too, probably a bug.