1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is not the unit supply cap a bit low ?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by SuperNoobCamper, Aug 28, 2017.

1. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

Hello.
    Do not you think that unit supply is really low ?
    How am i supposed to actully even defend my 8 cities with over 150 pop+ self with only 29 with units ?
    I rarely reached the unit supply cap in vanilla civ or older versions of VP (i was using 22/6 version before updating to latest version) but this is handicapping.
    Do not you think it should be raised a little because the production and food is extremely crippling ?

2. StevenV

StevenV Chieftain

Hi, a few question form my side:
    • how was you able to build 40 unit?, I suppose your supply cap was around 40 before and reduced to 29 due to war wariness
    • do you have barrack and armory in every city?
    • what about walls and castles? Do you have in every city? They are also important to increase the supply cap

Skidizzle and vyyt like this.
  3. Dawnpromise

Dawnpromise Prince

I only really feel the supply cap is low in the ancient era. By the time you start building barracks it tends to be manageable.

That said I feel like the AI blatantly just ignores the supply cap with no penalty and that upsets me.

4. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

First, what does the tooltip say about your supply cap ? It should say something such as :
    Supply from city : X
    Supply from population : Y
    Penalty from technology : -Z
    Penalty from was weariness -W
    Total : X+Y-Z-W

The penalty from WW is quite important here, because it is quite probably the reason of your problems
    (this penalty increase progressively when at war, and decrease progressively when at peace)

Moreover, if the penalty from WW migth be too high, I've seen more complain about this cap being in general to high than being too low.

Weketor and vyyt like this.
  5. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

StevenV hits the nail. You have got war weariness, so chill for a while.

If you absolutely need more supply limit, then:
    1. Increase your population.
    2. Build every wall and barrack building type. Harbors too.
    3. Don't rush technologies that you are not going to make use of for a while.
    4. Use your Great Generals for citadels.
    5. Try to grab some military wonders.

It needs to be. Otherwise domination happens too soon. People that complain used to win by domination too fast, I believe.

Weketor, Skidizzle and vyyt like this.
  6. bigcat88

bigcat88 King

In my games I always have enough cup, till late game when someone with autocracy declare war on me. Just some small wars from starts, and then build citadels or just disband great generals.
    Very often I declare war on some CS and train my troops\generals there. In my games for me is enough 6-8 horseman from start to generate a big amount of generals. Or swordsmen's(yeah, swordsmen is much better, but it is hard to train them from start).

7. infidel88

infidel88 Prince

He has -1 supply from war weariness. It is clearly seen in screenshot. What most likely caused 40/29 was discovering new tech, which bumped into new era, gave new policy to Poland and all of this gives you maluses towards your supply cap. Suddenly you discover a tech and your people be like: 'hey, we are enlighted now, don't need need such a great army, let's just get raped by savages from the North, who are still 2 techs behind us. until you disband half of your army, we will not work'.

Weketor and tu_79 like this.
  8. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

Imho the supply cap is ok.

bigcat88 likes this.
  9. GodDamnItAlexander

GodDamnItAlexander Warlord

Supply cap is definitely not ok right now for small empires. I've been trying to get a domination victory as Japan but playing like Venice (only original city is the cap, no using settelers and no annexing) and it's just impossible with the ~12 units that I get. Making citadels helps a bit but it's nowhere near enough.

I could just go around conquering city states, but the problem is I have to leave a force at home just in case. And I can't defend against an army 10x bigger than mine with only ~6 units until my offensive force gets back!

I think people who are currently ok with the supply cap either go wide or go tall and only have a defensive army. Right?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  10. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

That's not how it works.

G

Skidizzle and Emufarmers like this.
  11. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

1- nope the supply cap never surpassed 30 i just kept producing more military units to defend my self from the arabian/Ottoman hords.
    2- six out of 8 cities had barracks, armories, walls and citadels.

i'm already behind in tech by at least two techs.
    war was going well for me though *war weariness supply limit was just -1*
    the base supply limit is pretty low IMO.

can i get some info on how it's calculated ?
    in the military overview there is 8 base supply,20 from cities, minus 1 from war weariness and NINTY THREE supply from population then the total is just 29 ?
    i guess there is something wrong with the calculations...

12. Y.O.

Y.O. Warlord

Are you sure you're building all supply-cap related buildings? It's not only military and defensive buildings; stables and harbor both contribute 10% towards supply from pop. You said you haven't built castles, but you're already researching railroads and building public schools. If you're only at 8 cities, all of them should have castles, any coastal cities should have a harbor, and any city with a pasture should have a stable. I never have issues with the cap, despite me routinely being in the bottom half in terms of population.

13. Gazebo

Calculations are fine. Military overview can't show the requisite data due to space limitations. Use the tooltip.

Build more pylons barracks and stuff.

G

Owlbebach likes this.
  14. GodDamnItAlexander

And my small empire problems? Is this by design? Is there no feasible way to take over the world using only your cap?

15. Gazebo

You get cap from puppeted cities. In any case it is called one city challenge for a reason.

G

16. GodDamnItAlexander

Haha. I recommend you try it once (if you haven't already). Japan, tiny and quick so you get an idea for just how restrictive it feels without it taking too much time.

17. Gazebo

You're executing an extremely fringe scenario. I'm not surprised your supply will be on the extreme downward fringe.

18. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

I started a new game after getting nailed in the last one.
    I'm a bit surprised from the tech reducing supply cap by this vast number
    8 cities including 2 puppets
    143 population
    Nine techs behind the leader.

19. GodDamnItAlexander

Can tradition get a flat bonus to unit supply? Maybe +5? For wide and authority that's almost nothing, but percentage wise it's pretty big for tradition.
    Imgur link https://imgur.com/gallery/MRws4 for anyone who can't see the pic..

20. Gazebo

Solution is to build buildings that give you supply. It really isn't that complicated.

G