1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Oil Rare?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by DanaLea, May 7, 2017.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

2. BrendanVI

BrendanVI Chieftain

in one of my games, there was only two oils.... both were in my great land.... had the AI had more than one brain cell, they would of fought tooth and nail for the oils, however they did not.
    I had to delete that game after I won, I feared that if the real United Nations ever found out who the tyrant I really was, I would never be allowed to play civ ever again.

Victoria likes this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

When Oil unlocks, inevitably I only get one seaborne oil tile and all the land oil tiles are on another landmass.

c4c6 likes this.
  4. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

Happened in the last game I had with Arabia: lots of Desert as start location, yet I had to build a tundra colony to ensure it. I'd say , along with iron, it is made to be scarce to enforce fighting for it.

5. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Or maybe it's done to get people to try other units besides heavy cavalry. You can perfectly win even domination without them.

6. Victoria

I'm not really that fussed with oil. i just hunker my redcoats down on a bushy hill and the idiots charge up in these tin cans which i happily open for them

7. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

No coal on the other hand would ruin my day...

8. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Which is probably the worst outcome, as bad as others are.

Yeah, but there is scarce....then there's SCARCE. It could be 3 times as common and you'd get fights for it. At the mo I don't see fights for it cos one Civ has it locked down deep in their empire.

9. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Prince

Of course, if you go into advanced settings, and choose abundant for resources, sometimes there is more.
    Then again, I've seen it where placement is so bad, there's only 1 land one on an entire huge map.
    RNG is RNG. harrumph.

10. Victoria

I will never use advanced setting. Just happy with standard. Abundant starts hamper my trading

nzcamel likes this.
  11. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Prince

I use it mostly to turn off some of the victory conditions.

I'm going to try a stress the system one, where its as many civs/cs as I can stuff in.
    Victory: There can be only one!
    :)

12. nzcamel

I'm talking one resource and one resource only. I don't want to increase any others at all.
    And it isn't RNG. This is consistent game after game and not just for me.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  13. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

Exactly. It ruins domination games. Nothing worse than owning 20+ cities, have zero oil except for water tiles. For those that say you can easily win domination games without tanks, they must not be playing on Deity or Immortal. Even if it is possible, it is extremely unpleasant and not enjoyable to play at all. Oil is not rare in reality and there is no reason for consistent 1 tile oil on an entire map for land. It completely breaks the domination gameplay and the immersion. If they think tanks are too strong, nerf the tank, not the oil. It's hard coming from lots of Civ5 play, where oil was reasonable, along with all the other resources. Even if you had no coal, it wasn't like you needed to wipe out 3 civs just for one tile of it, like oil is now. Perhaps the biggest reason I don't play Civ6 everyday is because of the oil issue. For me it's far more agitating than the district scaling, or AI problems.

Abundant resources does not even fix the issue. All that does is make more horses and pastures, which means more horseman barbarians, forcing the AI and you to fight for your life for the first half of the game. Sometimes it wrecks the AIs making it easy to win because they lost all their settlers and builders.

NZcamel or anyone else, do you know of any mods yet that address this issue?

nzcamel likes this.
  14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

While I agree that oil seems rarer than other resources, I'd like two say two things:
    • It's needed for tanks and aircraft carriers only. I can do without those two units usually. It would be nice if the aircraft carrier would use something else though since an air force could be a nice way of not needing tanks in the offense. If you really can't do without it, why don't you just sit it out until units that don't need it come online? Modern Armors don't need it and defending until them should be possible without tanks.
    • It's usually doable to compete for late game GPs, and especially GMs. Just grab Rockefeller. I guess domination players have an encampment. Alternative: suzerain Hattusa if it is in the game. So there are 3 ways of getting that 1 oil - one way should be possible every game, right?
    Edit: 4 ways - you can also trade for it.​

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    c4c6 likes this.
  15. nzcamel

No... I hope this isn't going to have to be modded to be fixed. I'm still hoping for a change in the official game.

Okay...lets start by acknowledging that VI has fewer upgrades than V or IV, even on release. I've got to the point where I can appreciate the logic of that, even if jumping from Knights to Tanks is jarring for immersion; and even if I would still like to see the unit tree fleshed out more.... even with both those things in mind maybe I can accept that that is the best way for the game to be. But then add on skipping a whole 'nother upgrade of unit and waiting till Modern Armour is a joke. I've had knights for what?.... heading for a thousand years, and I'd like to upgrade them without waiting another era till offshore platforms become available thank you very much!

And then we look at the game as a whole. Not only do I not want to see knights running around in my army in the atomic era; but I also don't want to see them running around in enemy armies! There are issues enough (improving...but still there) with AI upgrading; and they don't need ultra scarcity of oil adding to that picture. Not when Rome can get legions without Iron in the Classical age!
    I'd like a few more units dependent on resources; and that shouldn't be a problem...except for oil.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  16. Victoria

Ummm most of my Dom game is not done by tanks and no, you do not need them, I rarely play them. I'll have a couple if the knights survived.

17. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I actually hope they won't flesh out the units tree too much. I prefer this in Civ VI much over how it was in Civ V BNW. But of course, some new units will appear in the expansions besides my hopes. I'd like to have buildings require resources though. We won't be able to convince each other since all I can think about your answer is 'You rely way too much on heavy cavalry'. But this is probably how you like to play the game.
    And while I see oil less often than, say coal or aluminum, I always see a few each game. Maybe it's a problem with the map types you are playing. I only play small and standard, and there seems to be at least 1 oil per player each game I reach this age (most games end earlier because of RV, CV or seldom DV). And the Firaxis TSL map has way too much oil anyway.

18. nzcamel

No. I love my immersion.
    Heavy Chariot --> Knight --> Modern Armour
    *shakes head*

I can appreciate the interlocking upgrades of units - I said as much. I mostly hope they find a way to incorporate that with more units...but I'm open to the idea that they'll stay with simplistic unit pathways.

So if only three upgrades is going to be the norm; I want three genuine upgrades! Dropping to two upgrades is nuts! That's what I have Civ boardgames for...

I'll accept that playing on marathon makes this worse for me than many other players. But enough of us love immersion that having knights so late in the game is daft.

And I want the AI to mostly have better access to tanks too incase they're the ones too reliant on Heavy Cav.

Tiger Genocide and Victoria like this.
  19. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Prince

Civ 5 let you go to 3 lvls of tanks, which I really liked. (mind you, I never upgraded my panzers. combat wise, wasn't that much more, but losing the extra movement? nope)

I'm doing my ludicrous sized map now and it's crazy with resources.
    Yet (not) Another Maps Pack, Wonder Tweaks, CQUI and Deutschland.
    No turn limit, abundant resources, domination only.

Turn times are insane, the game will kinda get stuck (firetuner panels go away, then repop)
    Haven't go to oil yet. (haven't even found half the civs yet, the map is huuge)

(granted, with firetuner you can just plop down an oil patch for yourself, but that's not the point)

One thing I liked about IGE in civ5 was the ability to see where all the resources were, except for antiquities.

Haven't checked that much yet in firetuner. More things to test. joy.
    :p

20. Planas

Planas Chieftain

I'm playing on giant earth from Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (My PC can't handle Ludicrous size, every turn takes 15 to 20 min average already).
    I did a few tweaks myself, the base spawn for oil is 40, I changed to 80 and still most of the oil is on sea, can't remember how many are on land, but you can easily count the ones that are. Also I changed aluminum to spawn anywhere but haven't got the tech yet.