1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Old World any fun?

Discussion in 'Old World' started by John.B.C, Feb 6, 2021.

1. John.B.C

John.B.C Prince

I've watched this on youtube and has become quite intrigued (the UI seem very good):

How do you like Old World, is it any fun?

I'm also asking from the perspective of an experienced Civplayer, having played since 1991 (civ 1,2,3,4,5 not 6)
    I'm currently playing Vox populi Civ 5 at the moment, on Diety and wonder if this game would give me any challange?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  2. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

No idea on the challenge as I am still working on my first game, on the easiest setting (I am trying to learn the mechanics first), but I just finished spending 6 hours playing straight, forgetting about my work. I had no idea where the time went. That was scary to me. The game just got so dang interesting to me!

Like you I have hundreds if not a thousand plus hours playing Civ5 Vox Populi. I never played 4. I like how this game has the great aspect of Crusader Kings in it. I like CK, but I do not enjoy playing it, if that makes sense.

Hopefully someone can answer your question about difficulty. I have heard it can get ultra hard like Vox can. Games are not short though, so by the time I play a hard one, it will be a really long time.

John.B.C likes this.
  3. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I love this game, except for the fact that it grinds to a halt around turn 80 such that I have to restart the game every 10 turns or so, and play on Small map. I've played every Civ since Civ 1 and this game is great. I do think it is very hard. You better have a lot of military units or pray the AI never declares war on you and if 2 AI are at war against you you're dead. The ambition system is the best. And unlike Civ i feel more like I'm competing against myself than against the AI so it doesn't matter that much how "good" the AI is. There are so many ways to influence everything and everything's always a tight balance.

I have reached a groove where the game has gotten easy and I'm on the 3rd-to-hardest mode but still I'm always on a knife's edge. It's great.

Tiger Genocide and John.B.C like this.
  4. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Prince

Why does the game grind to a halt? Hardware constraints? My current game is around T200 or so.

5. The Civs 6

The Civs 6 King

Other than performance issues I love this game

6. John.B.C

John.B.C Prince

Thanks for your replies! I really liked the focus on a particular era.
    I have now played a few games and currently find a good challange on the third difficulty level.

THE EVENT SYSTEM
    I like the event system even though I think that it gets a little repitive (pretty much the same quest each time). Apparently there are many events and that's good, but I think more is needed and it would be really nice if some sort of 'check' towards previous games could be implemented to avoid this repitiveness of events.

THE AI
    I'm not sure what to say about the AI yet. My first impression is that it does the job way better than vanilla civ 5 and 6.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Tiger Genocide likes this.
  7. John.B.C

John.B.C Prince

I've noticed that the AI shows quite the respect if I just leave a few units at city (5-6). Persia was at war with me and I was afraid of an attack, but it never happened even though they had an massive well trained army. They sent single units 'over and over again' which I finished off easily. This could be improved, making the AI move larger armies and get off 'camping' their own cities; not being so scared (which in some cases are a good thing).

I now win the game on glorius quite easily. I will take a break playing now, since I get a bit bored by not ever being invaded by a real army that isn't scared of a few units. I just build my stuff and win the game.

Trying to conquer others isn't really necessary, but at least there's a challange to this since the AI is camping his own cities and does a pretty good job defending. Going on the offensive is what needs some attention by the developers (then I'd be hooked for years to come).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Tiger Genocide likes this.
  8. John.B.C

John.B.C Prince

I've tried to play the game a few times more, but I simply lose interest when the other AI civilizations never try to invade me. So if this isn't fixed in some way, I can't see myself playing this [sandbox] anymore. Hopefully it will, since it's the most interesting game I've played in years.