Is Pangaea harder than Continent?

The AI is weaker at trans oceanic power projection than they are at same land-mass power projection.

The only times that continents are a problem are when you end up on small continent with limited room to expand, few city states and/or limited selection of luxury resources. Otherwise continents seem much easier than pangaea.

Continent maps can be very challenging, especially, if you work toward a domination victory. If forces you to plan an execute at least one invasion across the ocean, which means you have to consider a Navy to protect your forces. The 1UPT makes it particularly interesting and difficult. I play continents maps for this purpose sometimes.

I think default (water level) pangea is not that different from continents as far as reaching opponents to capture their capitals in the end game. Sometimes you can make it over land on pangea, but often you have to launch a mass ocean attack. Certainly it is different as far as early contact and making RA's, selling open borders, etc.

To another post though, the AI remains fairly inept. I've never seen it attack across a body of water.

I think for this reason, pangea is the great equalizer, until the naval intelligence of the AI is fixed. Regarding whether pangea is easier or not, I think cases can be made either way. I think of it more a style of play. If you are playing for domination, then I think it's more fun on pangea. All together on one big continent. :)

If one is not playing for domination, e.g., isolated builder, then continents may be the the way to go. The hybrid case, i.e., builder/warmonger, can go either way.

Having said that, in at least one previous version of Civ (with stacked units), I have seen large naval attacks with land units that threatened my homeland. Not yet in Civ V. So, until this is improved, pangea seems to be the best equalizer.

Pluses for the human player on Pangaea
- more happiness resources available early (sometimes as much as 6 in starting area)
- more research agreements available in early stages of game
- more cash from open borders and trade agreements
- easier to put down a runaway AI
- easier to get highly experienced troops

Pluses for the human player on Continents:
- security (AIs highly unlikely to attack but they WILL spam cities in unclaimed territories).
- global relations deteriorating more slowly (lucrative trade agreements last longer)
- less likely for other AIs to have happiness resources you want to trade away
- can safely trade away lucrative strategic resources (iron, horses, oil)
- more "oomph" out of financially strong empires (taking over city-states and the AI can't do jack)
- can wipe out civs or city-states before others meet them (no diplo hits)

Combat AI-wise, the AI performance has less to do with map type and more to do with terrain. Maps with numerous or sophisticated mountain chains will be a problem for the AI on any map type, while you can expect some serious trouble if map is wide and open.

Top Bottom