1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Progress the Social Tree to start with always?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Leathaface, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Minh Le

Minh Le Chieftain

Sorry but I dont think so. In my experience, Artistry = Fealty in science. Fealty have more happiness, growth, better cities defense, good faith. Artistry have more culture and GPP. I find that artistry is strong when pursuit Science Victory just as much as Culture Victory. I only pick fealty as Progress when I play heavy faith Civ, or Im in serious need of happiness.

2. bigcat88

bigcat88 Chieftain

Tradition->Artistry->Rationalism
    Authority->Fealty->Imperialism

Progress is only for civs who can connect cities very quickly(or for Babylon), or on maps with no barbarians.(or on high crowded maps, with a little space for barbs)

3. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Warlord

Progress->Fealty->Rationalism with a science focused religion does science better

4. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Warlord

I've been having lots of success with Progress with civs such as Rome, Japan, Incas, even when I'm playing against warmongering civs and/or when I'm playing very aggressively.

If you're faced with Authority civs and you manage to stand your ground, Progress will give you a big advantage compared to them in the later parts of the game.

CrazyG likes this.
  5. Minh Le

Minh Le Chieftain

Why? Progress -> Artistry -> Rationalism doing just as good in science and I have more great people. I just tried both in my India games.

CrazyG likes this.
  6. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

Is progress's 3 science per city connection and extra for citizens (which is tiny by the end game) really putting out more than Tradition's bonuses? Tradition gets extra scientists, 10% science in the capital, 2 science per city with councils and herbalists, and a wonder which gives science.

7. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

People tend to ignore statecraft, it is a nice follower for tradition.

G

Gokudo01 and CrazyG like this.
  8. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Warlord

No, from pure yield-from-policies point of view it is probably lower. But imo it is way better in term of overall infrastructure. With Tradition you are simply several buildings behind Progress by the middle of the game.
    Is it? In my opinion as a follow up for tradition it is definitely the worst of 3 medieval trees.

9. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

Really? Worse than Fealty?

Stalker0 likes this.
  10. YukiN

YukiN Chieftain

Do tradition civs other than Austria have enough hammers to control multiple city-states? The spies and %culture are really nice though.

11. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Warlord

Imo - yes. I can see Tradition into Fealty if you aim at some very heavy religion-focused game, or maybe Tradition into Science, may work with some civs

12. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Chieftain

yeah I dont know why, even if you don't aim for diplomatic victory, you get so much from statecraft, even for an authority start.

13. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Warlord

Authority into Statecraft seems like a default option for me.

Gokudo01 likes this.
  14. ofmiciv5

ofmiciv5 Chieftain

If vegan mode, Progress>Artistry>Rationalism>Order or Tradition>Statescraft>Rationalism>Freedom
    For carnivorous players, Authority>Fealty/Artistry>Imperialism>Autocracy

15. lunker

lunker Chieftain

Didn't know statecraft was underused. I find it quite hard to not take it in most games.

16. neo_arcadia

neo_arcadia Chieftain

I looooove its gold scaler and monopoly thingy. It is quite difficult to manage happiness with wide empire tho. When my empire is wide mercantile CS is the priority for that porcelain and jewelry happiness monopoly.

17. hokath

hokath Chieftain

It's free yields on the opener go to the Capital as well, so they are affected by the Tradition %increases.

18. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

Statecraft is really good. I take it more often than I take Fealty.

Gokudo01 likes this.
  19. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Warlord

This is peanuts. You'll get maybe 10 or 15 extra yields (of all types together) total from that "synergy"

20. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

I just want yields in the capital because its my capital though. Even more production for wonders, even more food where I want it.

If you also have other effects giving % yields to the capital, like Divine Inheritance, baths, school of philosophy, or wonders, it becomes a really big deal. If I recall correctly, my last game as tradition had a 95% modifier to science in the capital.