1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is religion overrated in MP?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by A+ombomb, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Oggums

Oggums King

Normally for multiplayer, I'd go Bronze Working over religious techs, for obviously reasons. But I think I'm going to start joining these games and picking Meditation.

2. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Warlord

So I take it people will spam you with axemen in MP? That seems a bit cheesy.

Maybe MP people could play with a "ground rule" that says no attacking someone until you have construction (Catapults and/or Elephants)

Although I must admit that I recently spammed the AI using horse archers and Praetorians.

3. Astax

Astax Prince

It's not a spam its merely a shift to unit oriented game as opposed to one oriented by buildings :/ If the other side is doing same thing it should be pretty equal. It's true lot of games are decieed by axemen but any good game goes on to catapults :/ You must understand tech progresses pretty fast in these games, but Axemen is an awsome unit because it's cheap.

4. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

Ok, sorry Antax. Those people that can't take helpful hints and tips are a real pain too. I'm glad you help other gamers out. I know I'm one that needs all the help I can get.

5. loveandpolitics

loveandpolitics Chieftain

Don't bother with mediation if your not already spiritual (in other words you get mysticysm). Well, not against AI opponents anyway, they just love going for mediatation as fast as possible. I prefer to go for Hinduism (the AI's don't research that too quickly - usually) and if I lose that I can still get a good shot at Judaism.

A religion is excellent to have and not at all overrated. Founding a religion and then insuring it spreads properly can have some nice benifits. Don't cripple your economy though. If you miss Judaism don't beeline for Islam or Confuciousim. You need to get Bronze Working, the Wheel, Agriculture etc. after all or you'll simply fall behind in the military and economic race.

You could beeline for Confucionism (can't spell it!) if you time it nicely with an Oracle. Code of Laws takes too long to research if you beeline it, but if you pop up the oracle at the same time the damage isn't too much.

Having your own religion properly spread+shrine is nice. Having 3 is even nicer! Don't cripple yourself by going for all seven.