1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] Is religion really worth it?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Abaxial, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Abaxial

Abaxial Chieftain

Winning a religious victory seems very improbable on a standard map, and I don't think I have seen an AI convert more than one other civ, so it doesn't seem like there is a danger of losing if you don't intervene in religious wars. On the other hand, if you don't found a religion, you can save all your faith for buying great people.

Maybe there is a good balance between founding a religion to get a few benefits, but not making a big effort to convert the world. How do others feel about it?

2. isau

isau Warlord

Religion is a fantastic source of Golden Age points so I'd say yes.

3. liv

liv Warlord

If there is a good balance I have not found it
    faith spent on apostles could be spent better buying settlers, builders or traders
    districts that give great persons are better than districts that only ever give one

ETA
    missed the vanilla tag. But even in vanilla i did not found one
    If I got a great prophet I explored with him and maybe used him defensively late in the game for fun

ZubieMaster likes this.
  4. Dragonsfire

Dragonsfire Chieftain

From my breif experince in active use or religion, it can make a fast difference.

5. 0R4NG3

0R4NG3 Chieftain

I would say religion is a luxury, if you get it - great, but don't die trying (on high difficulty levels). Some of the easiest and more enjoyable games I've played were where I ignored religion altogether.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  6. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

religion in vanilla is still good for at least make some money with tithe, and don't forget theocracy powered soldiers

7. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

Faith points can pay off...
    Founding a religion can be a powerful addition to nearly every victory type.

I still remember the sting of losing a conquest victory to another civ's religious victory, because I wasn't paying attention to that aspect...and my conquest led almost directly to the victor's win.

So there you have it...

8. aguliondew

aguliondew Chieftain

You have to focus on getting a religion otherwise you will not be able to get it later on. Having a religion above emperor and higher difficulties is a luxury.Religion is like having 4 extra policies. I always see religion as one of the fastest victory types when I play for it.At the end of every religious victory I am just spamming apostles every 3-4turns while my apostle debaters camp the final religious civs.

9. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chieftain

Tithe / Church property make getting a religion worth it. When I have one of those it often accounts for a good 1/3 to 1/2 of my income.

Duuk and Vasire like this.
  10. Esperr

Esperr Chieftain

Not really no. Instead of buffing religion directly they just keep making more bonus around it, like the evangelical golden age and a bunch of the civs have religious ability. Sometimes if I accidentally get one I'll take the evangelical age just for easy points, but I really havn't found early golden ages to very worth it. Most of the time when I do get one I just take the added amenities. The opportunity cost for going for your own is still just way to hi.

Maybe if they doubled the adjacency or upped the GP point count for the Holy site, as it stands if my first district is either a +3-4 campus or a +3-4 Holy site, im always taking the campus. I don't know what number that would have to be to change that? Maybe at +10 I might start considering it? On top of the fact that you have to go out of your way for astrology unless your on a water heavy map.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  11. Vasire

Vasire Chieftain

I use religion for four things:
    1. Money - Like Bad Wolf said, with Tithe it gives me 1/3 of my profits
    2. Food and Growth - I use a combo of Fertility Rites-Feed the World-Gurdwara and swim in corn. Manage to steal the Hanging Gardens on top of that and you really don't have to bother with farms anymore
    3. Last minute save if I really need to steal a GP with faith
    4. Diplo bonus with neighbours following the same religion

UPD: Oh, and now we have religious emergencies which at this point are just free cash.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I still like it. I don't think tithe gives me that much, but I still take it every time. My games seem to flow better when I have religion. Its hard to describe. Even my current game as Mongols on expanded Earth map I went for a religion before conquering and called it Mongol Horde. I take tithe and the +1 production every time, and then usually cheaper apostles, and my building may vary.

I am also running expanded religion mod with expanded earth map mod because I have so many civs in the game.

13. PibbZ

PibbZ Paladin

If you found a religion, and then get a golden age within the first 1-2 eras, you can choose the dedication that allows buying civilian units for faith (Workers, Settlers, Traders to name a few). This can give a very nice boost to your civ. You don't need to found a religion for this to work though, but it only gets better if you choose Beliefs to further enhance this strategy.

Won a religious victory with Spain on turn 200 ish (standard/standard) using this strategy. Never hard-built a single settler :)

14. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

I only go religion if I want to win a religious victory, and that's not very often. In most games I just let the AI populate my cities with religion. That way I can get the bonuses without spending an ounce of production or money to do so.

15. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Depends on what you play for, e.g. fun, or trying different civs to find those
    you like, or to learn the strengths and weaknesses of civs that have religion as
    their main focus.

16. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

It certainly is useful but I've neglected it plenty without any issue. It's very difficult for the AI to get a religious victory if you are paying attention.

Oddly enough, the few times I've played the Kongo, the AI never even attempted to convert my cities. I felt kind of bad about it.

17. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

Playing most of the time at immortal, I only go for it if I intend on playing a RV... At that level, it takes a lot of your energy in the start game to get it, and sets back all other aspect a little... If I don't go for RV, I still like to capture at least 1 city that has apostle making capacity, as I find the Barb promotion sometimes can get you out of a bad situation, and also on the off chance of getting the relic promotion... otherwise, you always find ways to sepnd your faith on useful things

And btw, seems like the OP is saying that RV is not to be expected on large maps... I always play Huge maps, and I've won many RV at immortal... so if I understood correctly the implied affirmation, I must disagree on that one

18. Dragonsfire

Dragonsfire Chieftain

I find fighting religion exhausting, gonna do one more round of my Island scenario, round 3 ended with time out and the Americas almost won, 5/6, a little more time and they would have won, will do one more round with this scenario and move on to the next.

Is their a way to solidify a religion in a city so they cant be converted?
    On my next set and managed to secure an island with two cities, now just making sure their 100% , I founded a religion and have build holy sites on both sites.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018
  19. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

Not really. The best way to keep a city converted is to wipe out the religions of other civs.

20. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Chieftain

In R&F, it's a guaranteed way to get the powerful medieval golden age (+2 era score per converted city in classical era). Faith buying workers and settlers is very very good. With the help of an early Magnus, it's even possible to get a religion on Deity now which is pretty cool. Just chop 1-2 holy site prayers and you are good to go. Opportunity costs are still kinda high because it does make your start painfully slow. But it can certainly pay off.