1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] Is religion really worth it?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Abaxial, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Kataklysm

Kataklysm Chieftain

It definitely can help you pursue any victory condition but you have to choose your beliefs and how you spend your faith wisely. I also tend to neglect it because it's so hard to found a religion on Emperor and up. My current game with Spain is so much fun because I'm trying to spam Catholicism everywhere while steamrolling Conquistador-evangilization-brutality everywhere, converting as I conquer. Pretty awesome.

But I agree it's not the most obvious or appealing system in the game. Still, given a fair share of attention it really whips the llama's ass.

2. Dragonsfire

Dragonsfire Chieftain

Well Im confused, the other missionaries came over and converted mine, cities are 12/5 population, so I created Missionary to rebuild my Buddism, except that didn't happen, it promoted the other religion and I lost more Buddhism people, so my populace (12) is now Zoroastrianism and the other is nothing, just says river goddess.

3. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

Once your city has been converted to another religiion, any religious units you create in that city will be from the OTHER religion...

4. Dragonsfire

Dragonsfire Chieftain

So no going back?
    Thanks!

5. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

There is possibility of going back, IF you have the means for reconverting the city to your religion... that means having another city still on YOUR religion where you can produce missionaries or apostles... or, if you had missionaries and/or apostle produced before your city was converted and those unit are still alive...

otherwise, you're doomed, dude ;-)

6. Dragonsfire

Dragonsfire Chieftain

lol, yup I figured, thats why I find Religion so exausting and consumes resources.
    Right now Zoro is 2/6 and Hinduism 3/6, me and the other guy is 0, will leave it.
    Thanks!

tedhebert likes this.
  7. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

bascially... you CAN'T let them convert your cities... if you see a civ throwing a carpet of doom of missionaries or apostle your ways, you must get some of your own apostles or inquisitor to them before they use their charges, and destroy them by way of religious combat... remember, killing an enemy religious unit in religious combat deletes a portion of their influence in your cities and creates an equivalent portion of YOUR influence on them... same applies in attack mode on their soil...sometimes even easier to battle and destroy them than using charges on the cities themselves

8. isau

isau Warlord

I'm surprised not to hear more love for the Defenders of the Faith belief. +10 combat to friendly units in cities that follow this religion. Borderline overpowered if you ask me, at least against AI. Granted, the mod I play with slows religions down to the point that religion is a bit easier for players to grab. But still, that belief tends to be unpopular with AIs for some reason. Getting that belief as Spain is particularly juicy since it meshes so well with Conquistador-converting cities. You take the city, and that same turn it instantly switches to your religion, and any units fighting you are at a -10 disadvantage (-14 if they are members of another religion...) Even if not playing aggressive I like that belief just so I can station fewer units back home. +10 is a really huge combat buff.

Kataklysm likes this.
  9. aguliondew

aguliondew Chieftain

Its just that defenders of the faith is not the best belief to get a religious victory with. If you are playing on a high difficult you have to focus on getting you religion early and forgo some early development. If you are not going for a religious victory on a high difficult why put yourself behind even more just to get a attack bonus. On the lower difficulties I am sure that is a powerful addition to your civ. I ran into one civ with that belief it was annoying to conquer some of their cities eventually I made them my alliance buddy and left them alone.

10. Dragonsfire

Dragonsfire Chieftain

So I started a new city and its basically blank, so it stays blank till someone else comes along since I have 0 followers ?
    Thanks!

11. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Arabian King

I am now in process of colonizing half of the continent with this, war free :D (well, except for the occasional barbarian cleaning)

12. Dragonsfire

Dragonsfire Chieftain

Well with my brief experience now I concluded your either in all the way or not. Do a full focus on Religion so their are no distractions or dont give it a second thought. On the Island scenario I have been playing now for 4 times the AI has always chosen Religion to focus on, I like tech, so will change the land versions maybe go back to the main one on the next game, never had a religion problem with that.

13. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Yep, you don't get a Religion by accident in this game (unless you are Arabia...). If you're going to the effort of building a Holy Site, and pushing for a Prophet, you also want to make sure you get some Apostles and Inquisitors up to protect your investment. Even if you don't want a Religious Victory or to spread it outside your borders, the AI's missionaries and apostles will come for you ;).

14. Dragonsfire

Dragonsfire Chieftain

Like Locusts lol

15. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

I just started a Mongol game on Emperor, with the express purpose of creating a powerful religion to back up my armies. So far, it's worked quite well, and im pleased to say it was worth the investment. I have a few cities focused on faith, and the forward cities focus on building troops...

Again, a valuable resource for any victory condition...

16. Trengilly

Trengilly Chieftain

In my most recent game I has having a blast as France, running amok with spies, and about to win a culture victory, when bam the lose screen comes up! Indonesia had gotten a religious game. I had totally ignored what was happening. Funny enough I had managed to found my own religion and could easily have made inquisitors to protect it. Just never crossed my mind that the AI could pull of a religious win (standard map but only 6 civs left - I killed Norway, and Germany killed Poundmaker).

After the initial shock I had a good laugh! :).

I'm mixed on getting a religion but I sure do like faith - as others mentioned - there is a ton you can do with faith now.

17. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Speaking on vanilla, Religion is pretty worthwhile with Papal Primacy.

In Rise and Fall there's no longer powerful Papal, but have some early era points instead.