Is Religious Emergency random?

sanchopanda

Chieftain
In my current game I converted two holy cities of other religions and got no Religious Emergency. Is there some other requirement or are emergencies random (not 100%)? Religious Victory is enabled.

In emergencies deep dive, devs stated there is indeed a random chance of an emergency triggering.

Chances are lower when other emergency is already ongoing, and you are not likely to receive more than two emergencies at the same time.

PS: Note as well I think the religious emergency will only trigger to civilizations sharing the religion of the converted holy city. Therefore, if this specific civ has not converted others, religious emergency may be disabled. (This supposition is, however, unconfirmed)

Good to know, thank you!

Actually there is another ongoing emergency. I am not part of it (maybe an unmet city state emergency), but it could be the other civilization. Either that or its just bad luck :)

Update: a few turns later I got an emergency for my second holy-city-conversion.

Last edited:
I think an Emergency is created each time you convert a holy city. But, if nobody join, the Emergency fail and the target see nothing.

That's what I think: the first time, nobody join so you have no Emergency to fight against. The second times, the emegency start the next turn, because in the previous turn, the game have to ask every player if they wanted to join.

The first Holy City I converted when I played Georgia did not trigger an emergency and there were no other emergencies going on. The second Holy City I converted did trigger an emergency. An emergency that I easily won as the only Civ that joined in was the Civ I just converted so she couldn’t do anything. (I had already converted all her other cities prior to the Holy City) :D

Last edited:
In my only game of r&f so far I've seen no emergencies of any kind despite specifically trying to trigger them by taking city states with suzes

Top Bottom