Is risky having always CIV4 DVD inside computer?

marioflag

History Addict
Considering that i always use computer to play civ4 i have some questions regard the risk of breaking the civ4 dvd.
First of all i have always civ4 dvd inside my dvd player so is advisable to take the dvd always in the box or there is no risk to have always civ4 inside dvd player?
Second question how much time an original dvd resists before i will notice some problems reading it in dvd players?

1. there is no risk
2. about 20-30years. Most DVDs last that long. Even if your DVD broke, you could play with a backup legally.

marioflag said:
how can i make a working backup copy?
There is no way to do this legally.
Welcome to the bizarro world of software licensing where you always have the right to run what you purchased but no legal way to exercise that right if your original media gets damaged. (Without incurring additional expense.)

I thought that if you sent your broken media back to the publisher then they will replace it.

The risk to having your Civ IV disk always in your computer is that you will be tempted to play it all the time. :)

about 20-30years

DVDs have only been around 10 years so how could anyone know how long they will last?

synthboy said:
I thought that if you sent your broken media back to the publisher then they will replace it.

Hence the additional expense as shipping is not free!

synthboy said:
can anyone confirm this please? if so, would that apply for usa only or any country (brazil in my case)? thanks

Question:

Do you return a book to the publisher if the cover gets scratched by your cat or get soaked by the rain?

:rolleyes:

autocon said:
can anyone confirm this please? if so, would that apply for usa only or any country (brazil in my case)? thanks

I'm sure it depends on the customer service policy of the publisher.

In the case of Civ, since they require you to have a CD/DVD to play, one would hope they'd have an exchange policy for defective CDs.

ew0054 said:
DVDs have only been around 10 years so how could anyone know how long they will last?

probably because people have worked out its degredation in a certain amount of time and then multiplied it by how long they expect it to become unusable.

Eh...if I'm still playing Civ IV in 10 years and my DVD goes bad, I'll just buy a new one. If a game entertains me that long then it's worth paying extra to replace it if I wear it out/destroy it.

marioflag said:
how can i make a working backup copy?

A backup is allowed only if you still own a working copy of the orginal game

Ok, all this hassle for nothing... Creating a freaking backup takes about 5minutes... Most of us don't live in a police state (except for poor Americans) so you create the backup and no one cares. I think the laws about creating backups is only strict in the US...
This is a useless thread, even if your DVD gets broken it takes about 20minutes to download the game, and no one will f*c*ing care... I really don't understand people here at all. (not advocating piracy, but condemning stupid laws which don't favour the end-user)

Flame me...

DVD'S do last for about 20-30 years. they may not have been ut that long but CD's start to rust as they get old.

SPQR 300 you are right but for now i can play civ4 with 1.61 only with my original dvd.IF i do a backup copy the cd doesn't work due to copy protection it's the problem

Top Bottom