1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is settling on a resource a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Artifex1, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Artifex1

Artifex1 Chieftain

Or is it just as good?

2. Joebles

Joebles Chieftain

I believe it isn't too bad, as long as you're okay with giving up the bonus of whatever improvement would extract the resource (I wouldn't settle on something requiring a mine in most cases, for example.)

3. Timothy001

Timothy001 Chieftain

Make sure you have the tech for the resource as well. Its bugged right now. You won't get some aspects of the resource unless you have the tech

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  4. Kizo

Kizo Chieftain

Depends on the resource. In most cases, if settling a resource allows your city to reach other resources you otherwise couldn't by any means, then yes.

That aside, for general settling purposes, settling on plantation-improved luxuries that fall under Goddess of Festivals (wine, incense, tobacco, cocoa, coffee, tea) is great because those are fairly poor tiles to work and their pantheon is bad, so by settling on them you gain their amenity bonuses while freeing up a tile for other use.

Other plantation-improved luxuries are also good for settling, but Oral Tradition is actually a good pantheon so make sure you don't have enough of those luxuries that you'd want to take Oral Tradition.

Pasture- and mine-improved tiles are quite good to work and are rarely worth settling.

5. Tamir Lenk

Tamir Lenk Chieftain

I like to settle on a lux that yields faith or culture. It can slingshot you into a Pantheon faster or boost your civics

6. Lord Katana

Lord Katana Chieftain

a general rule i've used: Settle on lux, yes. Settle on bonus, no. Settle on Strategic, only when it's absolutely necessary or if under threat (they can't pillage it then).

With the addition of faith/culture to certain lux settling your first city on them give an enormous boost early game... Coffee by a river is a fantastic start :)