1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the AI cheating even on the lowest difficulty?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Veriaqa, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Veriaqa

Veriaqa Chieftain

I never play the game below prince difficulty. But yesterday, just for fun, I play on the lowest difficulty. I play the TSL Earth, with only 1 ai. I play Gitarja and the AI play John Curtin. After 10 turn or so Curtin declared surprise war on me and he attacked me with endless warriors, archers, and war chariots. At one point I counted that they have 5 warriors, 4 archers, 2 war chariots, 2 scouts, and 1 builder. And I already killed some of his warriors and archers.

I don't think the AI are that good, so is the AI cheating?

2. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Honestly, sounds impossible. Are you sure of the numbers and turn time you are reporting?

In fact, at the lowest diff it is you that is "cheating", the player is the one receiving the bonuses there...

3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Given that they start on seperate land masses on TSL Earth I'm surprised they'd even met at turn 10. What speed was the game played at?

4. Veriaqa

Veriaqa Chieftain

To answer the question it's online speed. And yes that was impossible for Australia to have that much units so early in the game. It wasn't 10 turns exactly. But i'm sure it was below 20. Because I'm not even have my second city yet.

5. seankhan

seankhan Chieftain

it does cheat from time to time,i remember a

the ai uses one turn building,as you go up the levels it becomes constant,so low level its rare but possible,you where just unlucky i guess.

6. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Well, according to modders, who have access to (this part of) the code, AI actually gets penalties below prince.

7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Was it an ancient era start? If it was a later ers start, the AI (and you) start with several units, not only warrior and settler.

8. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

If online speed and 20+ turns, it is possible, even with penalties at lower diffs.

9. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I think this is the answer. Online speed and maybe it was a little longer than the OP remembers. I play Gitarja a lot on that map and she has 1 small island, Curtin has Australia which has plenty of sheep, cattle and horses

10. Ogro

Ogro Chieftain

Strange. Perhaps it's a civ 5 thing, but in the lowest difficult the AI isn't supposed to declare war against the human player, least yet a surprise one. Were you using any MODS?

11. liv

liv Emperor

It sounds worse than deity so maybe you accidentally picked the highest difficulty???

12. Veriaqa

Veriaqa Chieftain

It's ancient era. And I didn't use any mods. And yes Curtin declared a surprise war against me.

13. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

I see two possibilities here:

- You're misremembering things / overplaying what actually happened
    - You've run into a situation where your opponent was extremely lucky and managed to get ahead far further than they were supposed to be

Whichever it was, it seems clear that the outcome is not based on heavy AI cheating.

14. Rotomagus

Rotomagus Chieftain

can you elaborate on that one turn building please?

btw, I've seen the 'AI' put out more than 1 unit per round in attacked cities. At low levels. Cheat it is...

Is there a mod that brings in a difficulty level, in which AI and HI do not get any bonusses?

15. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 King

16. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

This is Civ 5. We could clearly see the code for this in the dll source. We cannot say the same for Civ 6 as we don't have the source yet, but reports of DoWs in lower difficulties clearly suggest that they got rid of such an idiotic handicap for the AI.

Ogro likes this.
  17. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Warlord

Certainly at King, once the AI has archery it will happily produce one archer per turn ad infinitum if you are attacking a city.

18. liv

liv Emperor

AI often have a lot of cash and may buy units.

19. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Warlord

One question. TSL start would mean that he would need Shipbulding to be able to attack you at all with land units. I never play online speed, so I don't know if that is feasible in the timeframe you mention. The AI does tend to beeline that tech when in an island starting situation, but it would mean that the AI would have to be in the Classical era before you were under attack. Was this the case?

20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I forgot that.
    Found first city on coast, tech Sailing, build 2 galleys for the eureka, tech Shipbuilding and build army whilst teching it
    I've beelined shipbuilding when playing Indonesia on that map because she has no room to expand w/o it but I'm surprised the AI with a fairly large island to settle would do it and it seems very quick.