1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the AI copying?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I have noticed for a while now that on emporer the AI to a degree matches the number of cities you have. For example in one game I had 2 cities until turn 100 and the board was like a desert. When I go ape and get 10 in 100 the board is full of cities.

Maybe its just me, but a couple of others have also noticed something odd in this area so thought I would mention it.

2. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I don't know. The game I am in right now I got 18 cities in (I think) 165 turns, of which 8 captured, and there's no AI that matches that, and some AIs barely got any cities at all (for example, I spend the last 10 turns wiping Gilgamesh of the map: He had been sitting on just one city, then settled two next to my borders within a few turns, after which I declared war on him and captured all three cities). I do believe that there's also AI with some 10 cities though, but I'd have to check. Either way, I still got quite a few possible city spots that I'm looking at, though I also use a mod that increases map size.

Also, I am using an AI mod, but if anything that should improve the AI, and it generally does (a lot). I'm playing on king, but I find that to be harder than emperor without said AI mod.

3. Dale

Dale Deity

The ai is definitely not copying me. I don't play that crap!

4. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I suppose you could test it by saving a map at turn 1, then trying two settling patterns. First just go slow and aim for a few cities, and then start over, go nuts and settle as many as you can. Compare that with what the AI do.
    I've noticed that some AIs expand pretty quickly but some take ages, even if they're in a pretty favourable spot. I suppose your observations are going to depend to a degree on which opponents you have too.

5. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I think this thread came out of a discussion I had with Victoria on another thread as I'd also noticed something strange, but what I've observed doesn't seem to correlate with AI rates of expansion. Indeed my second-closest rival, Gilgamesh, has 5 cities (though they're large).

What I've observed approaching the end of my fourth full playthrough (in each case Emperor, Huge, Shuffle, science victory focus) is that the rate of AI progress seems to correlate with my own. I usually play fairly long games where I get the key techs and am much of the way through spaceship parts by about 2000. I've found the AI is usually close enough to me that I have to use espionage to defeat them.

With a better start and more focused play, in this playthrough I've reached the same stage before 1900. If the AI was following the same strategies as it was in the previous games, it should therefore be about 100 years behind me. Yet AI spaceship production has reached the same point it has in my previous end games, and while leading AIs are 5-7 techs behind me one is only missing one of the key techs. Strangely, even though I've been leading in science - often by 100 points or more - for most of the game, AI civs have rarely been more than 5 techs behind, and they're era-rushing as well so they aren't accumulating quick techs.

6. diamond geezer

diamond geezer Warlord

There's definitely some AI "cheats" that I believe are meant to create a challenge. I've seen things like two units spawning from cities (NOT Tomyris) and mysterious catch ups on Science after I've triggered a bunch of Eurekas in quick succession. Also Eras mysteriously advance in AI Civs that have basically no way of achieving those advances in the timeframe, due to their small size and lack of development. I'm OK with it, as it makes things a bit more interesting.

7. Bowman in a Bad Mood

Bowman in a Bad Mood Chieftain

It would be nice to have this confirmed. AI cheats are cool as long as they're disclosed.

8. Quillan

Quillan Monkey Butler

I read that the ai gets free eurekas at higher difficulties, which could account for the science boosts. As for 2 units, build + buy perhaps?

9. Buckets

Buckets Warlord

AI has a rapid expansion strategy that has a condition called 'has fewer cities'. No apparent information on by how much though. Sounds like you triggered the strat.

c4c6 likes this.
  10. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

The thing I'm finding strange is that this is the same difficulty as every one of my completed playthroughs - if the AI were capable of teching this fast naturally, I should have been nowhere near winning a science victory (let alone successfully doing so) in the 2000s in my earlier playthroughs. Conversely, if it's not capable of teching this fast naturally, it shouldn't be level-pegging with me when my own victory is 100 years closer than it was in the earlier games.

11. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Apologies for not being clear enough. I am not talking of having 10 cities and the AI matching, but having 3 cities and most AI limiting themselves to 3. It just seems to be the case, again last night, the same thing, on turn 100 I reveal all and find 6 out of 7 civs have 3 cities.

12. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I'm happy with undisclosed cheats and strategies. The AI doesn't know my strategy. Part of the fun is to work out what the AIs are doing.

13. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I do know that on higher difficulty levels, AI's get free eureka's and inspirations in every era. I believe it's 1 on Prince, 2 on King, 3 on Emperor, 4 on Immortal and 5 on Deity (per era). Also, I'm not sure, but I believe I remember something that part of the reason this was implemented was because it's hard to appropriately tell the AI to get boosts, which I can understand: you can't tell them "go for boosts" because they'll go for boosts they shouldn't go for, but at the same time they should go for them sometimes.

14. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

Spawning two units in one turn is not a cheat. You can finish building a unit and buy the other one with gold. As for eras, if you don't know what they're doing, it's difficult to judge. They may have research agreements and lots of eurekas for instance.

15. baboon

baboon Warlord

Maybe the AI is secretly learning the game by playing it ;)

16. diamond geezer

diamond geezer Warlord

You can indeed, but the second one can't move - theirs both move.

17. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

You can spawn multiple Great People in the same turn and they can move if you spawned them naturally.

When you patronize a Great Person, they can't move until next turn, but if you generated enough points normally they can instantly move. So you could get theoretically get 9+ Great People in the same turn in the same city and have them all move....

18. diamond geezer

diamond geezer Warlord

Great People aren't Units. The AI does seem to spawn them like no tomorrow and then have them wonder aimlessly around the map however.

19. Dale

Dale Deity

There's those two wonders that create copy-cat units. You're probably just seeing this. It's also pretty simple to beeline modern in about 10 techs. I've done it, and I've seen the AI do it. Just cruise the naval line in the tech tree.

20. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

The AI practically never builds them, and it would be obvious from the landscape whether they were in the city in question (also, of course, it would be obvious if the units were the same type).

Though given how few units the AI seems to field I'd be surprised if they were getting significant unit construction advantages.

The tech beeline is not the issue; again, playing on exactly the same settings and difficulty, without obvious map advantages missing on multiple earlier playthroughs, the AI reached the same game stage at the same time I did in multiple games, despite there being a difference of 100 years in the time it took me to reach that stage on successive playthroughs. If AI bonuses let it win by the mid-20th Century on Emperor, I should have lost before I even got to 2000, when I started spaceship construction in the earlier game.

As an update, I narrowly lost that game to a Kongo cultural victory (Kongo was too far away to attack and there are no obvious ways to interact with or interrupt a culture victory once all the wonders and techs that can generate tourism are gone). The same observation applies - if a civ (and Kongo has been present on other playthroughs) were in a position to get a cultural victory by 1970, the earlier games couldn't have gone on into the 21st Century. Extra inspirations aren't an explanation because cultural civic progress is not very strongly linked to tourism output as far as I can tell.