[GS] Is the AI finally better at war in GS?

Is the AI (In GS with the latest patch) finally a challenging enemy in war?

• Yes, it's much more challenging than before

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Yes, it's slightly more challenging than before

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • No, it's the same as before

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • No, it's even worse than before

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Less early rush, at least in my experience. They will sack other AI cities and sometimes even eliminate them. That's something that seemed rare before. Haven't had an invasion worth talking about in a while. They will resist for a while on higher difficulties but generally start to fold in the late classical/early Medieval.

Better than in the past? I think so. Good? Nope.

At best, it's the same. To the point that I left the game for now, as much as I want to like it.

I'm sad to say that I don't really notice much of a difference, 3 units defending a city is still enough for me to fend off pretty much any kind of foreign invasion.

It's literally in my start post, i posted this because those 2 threads were showing completely different results.

Confirmation bias. Somebody sees a thread title they agree with, they post.

There are more objective (yet still not fully objective) ways to check difficulty, for example GotM Deity results. Civ 6 began as an extremely, extremely easy game with the first Deity GotM about a month after release having dozens of winning submissions (for comparison CIV:Warlords didn't see a single winning submission for years). Whatever difficulty tweaks the expansions brought, I don't see the kind of widespread posting that would indicate a massive spike in difficulty.

I voted:
Yes, it's slightly more challenging than before

Will i, as someone who focuses on war and stopped playing because he was bored of the ai that was no enemy in warring, finally have fun again?
However, to answer this question - I have to say "No. I don't think that an unmodded Civ 6 experience is going to give you what you want."

I'm not sure if you are comparing to Civ 4, Civ 5, or modded-Civ 5 in terms of where you got a good AI warmongering experience that you felt was challenging in Civ. But as far as 6 goes, from what I've experienced, you will need to wait until the DLL is released and the community really takes apart and rebuilds the AI.

The AI does seem to be a bit more prepared than before. It can sometimes build and call up reinforcements to replace lost units. It now has a rudimentary understanding of sieging a walled city. It has even shown signs that it knows airpower exists as a feature in the game. However, the actual tactical AI is still mostly a joke.

For me, who isn't in it for a warmongering challenge, the game is very fun; but I don't harbor any delusions that it is because the AI is a formidable foe. I would, however, recommend that you try it again for yourself. You are the only one who will be able to judge this personal experience. Assuming you already own the game, the only cost is a few hours of your time.

At this point i'm less about advanced stuff like the AI being tactical in actual fight scenarios and more about more fundamental things. Like... building a real Army... at all. Stuff like that.
I'd be happy with that too. I found that if you use one of those pacing mods that slows tech and civic speed down the AI will build massive armies and pose a threat. Only problem is none of those mods scale the era points very well so you're usually in a perpetual golden age all game.

I think the problem is too much to build and because of the way district pacing scales the immortal and deity AI are slightly handicapped by more expensive districts due to their free techs. I think that's why players catch up and pass immortal and deity AI faster in VI than earlier iterations.

The game doesn't need to be slowed a lot. 1.5X or 2X is all.

I am playing on Deity with Sumerian. Not sure if this is common, but Aztec declared a surprise war on me and I wound up taking one of their cities (turn 46). Mongolia was surrounding me and Aztec at the time. While I am pressing Aztec for their capital, Mongolia declares war on Aztec, so I can’t take the capital (sneaky bastard). Mongolia then makes peace with Aztec and they both join to go to war with me (talk about unfair advantage).

Not sure how I will survive this war. I tried to make peace, but they have destroyed all of my warcarts and my city wall is about to come down. I currently have four cities and I am about to lose one of them, once the outer walls are down next turn. I am rushing an archer there now, but he will not make it in time to kill the catapult. I need an additional three turns to get my first warcart created and two turns to get it in that city. Odds are not in my favor. Mongolia is strong in the early game

In my opinion, Mongolia sensed my push for domination and countered effectively. Making the appropriate alliance at the right time. They saved Aztec from elimination and now I am in a precarious position.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 1 4000 BC.Civ6Save
    574.3 KB · Views: 154
  • GILGAMESH 60 1640 BC.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
  • GILGAMESH 82 850 BC.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
  • GILGAMESH 92 600 BC.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 132
It does seem to fair significantly better in AI vs. AI wars, for whatever that's worth. I repeatedly have AI civs take out other AI civs in mid or even late game, which was something that would never happen before. It used to be a sensation if the AI even captured a single city, in my last game Egypt eliminated Zulu in renaissance era (no mean feat in itself), and later Aztec eliminated Brazil (conquered most of their cities, and the last two were lost to loyalty drop).

I am playing on Deity with Sumerian. Not sure if this is common, but Aztec declared a surprise war on me and I wound up taking one of their cities (turn 46). Mongolia was surrounding me and Aztec at the time. While I am pressing Aztec for their capital, Mongolia declares war on Aztec, so I can’t take the capital (sneaky bastard). Mongolia then makes peace with Aztec and they both join to go to war with me (talk about unfair advantage).

Not sure how I will survive this war. I tried to make peace, but they have destroyed all of my warcarts and my city wall is about to come down. I currently have four cities and I am about to lose one of them, once the outer walls are down next turn. I am rushing an archer there now, but he will not make it in time to kill the catapult. I need an additional three turns to get my first warcart created and two turns to get it in that city. Odds are not in my favor. Mongolia is strong in the early game

In my opinion, Mongolia sensed my push for domination and countered effectively. Making the appropriate alliance at the right time. They saved Aztec from elimination and now I am in a precarious position.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

I tried your save to experience what seemed like from your description a sandwich inbetween the Aztec and Mongolia.
However, you seem to have the AIs confused. There is no Aztec in that game (your direct neighbors are Maori, Kongo and Mongolia).

From your saves, it looks like what happened is this: you and Kongo went to war and crippled each other military wise, meanwhile Mongolia built up its army (700+ military score in last save) and declared war on Kongo and then you because he is your neighbor and he has a much greater army than any of you. Mongolia made peace with Kongo after it took one of its cities (probably because it was experiencing loyalty problems in conquered city).

On my part, I don't think I ever experienced such an easy start with Sumeria. I wiped 2.5 civs with war-carts only (that is until knights became available). I didn't see a single UU built by the AI. No Impi built by Zulu at T100 was kind of pathetic.

I wonder if they want to force players to try multiplayer by letting a poor AI state. Human players will always play better than AIs until some quantic computers been discovered.

For anyone tired of poor AI and wanna try real civ experience can join CPL anytime.

Tried my first game in nearly a month. Can't really say it's any better, but no worse either. Problem is those Varu's (Chandragupta) were giving me trouble. And then the Khmer declared war on me. I just had to peace out. Certain UU's still cause trouble. Standard units I don't really struggle with.
edit: in the end I took two Indian cities, but doubtful I'll finish this game. After eliminating the Cree and 2 Indian cities I'm still only in the middle score wise. Though I probably could squeek out a victory, it doesn't seem worth it. Only area I can expand into is tundra and ice.

I voted no real difference but am torn.

The AI is definitely better at storming a walled city and if the AI has strength it can seem vaguely competent.

However the AI seem less interested in attacking troops and has moments just hanging around. They still quite happy to let units die and still do bizarre things. Also my pet hate of two cities not both shooting in the same turn is still apparent. The preference to shoot my scouts I still abuse badly... I am attacking your city with a catapult and your city shoots my scout which is not even ZOC seige’n you.

Compared to what the game started like it has got better, especially early archers can be a pain now but still happily stand in the open. Is it competent? Nope but then I do not expect it to be. Better than this would be nicer.

Top Bottom