1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the AI losing its mind?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Adjuvant, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

I just watched Spain use a captured Christian great prophet on her own Barcelona. Her Madrid, 4 tiles away, is the holy city for Hinduism.

Is this odd, buggy behavior? Is the AI programmed to flip-flop cities' religions for benefits (just war, monasteries, guruship are Christian beliefs)? Discuss.

2. Arksa

Arksa Warlord

It's propably just an oversight on the programming. Basically if they have a prophet, they use it. They should propably add a clause to it about which religion the prophet preaches for :).

3. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Seems to be quite a few `oversights` on the programming regarding the AI logic.

4. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

Or maybe Civ4's Isabella seeped through and she decided to change Religions again so she can not like you...

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Or (this may be giving the AI too much credit) she saw advantage in one of her cities having access to the other religion's follower beliefs. I've done this before, just to get Holy Warriors in one city to spit out units bought with faith.

6. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

You might be giving the AI too much benefit. I rather believe that Isabella's irrational hatred of other religions has seeped into CiV AI's irrational hatred of you, and that this incident is just her finding an excuse.

7. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

Try programming an AI for yourself, and you will see that the weirdest things can happen that you couldnt even have imagined to predict.

I give a good shot that the amount of code dedicated to the AI alone is about 40,000 lines.
    The proverbial haystack needs not only to be sifted through, it also has to make sense at the same time.

8. Genghis.Khan

Genghis.Khan Person

9. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I could reply in a hard way, but then the Moderater would tell me off again for being too mean, but...

Basically, don`t tell me what I already know.

10. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

Dunno, I grew up playing prince of persia in black and white on a commodore. Been playing games since I was 8, and now 28.

I dont know which games you are referring to with better programmed routines, and in the last 20 years, but doom and wolfenstein were the pinnacle of AI programming, and if you look at that now you will start shedding tears of laughter.

Things look always brighter if you look back at them, you in your infinite wisdom through age should know as much.

11. Sonereal

I can point you to quite a number of CivIV mods that have better AI than CivV.

12. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

I really liked the pre-patch AI. I didn't get too much of a chance to play with it, but i felt like it was a pretty reasonable opponent. I would've liked it a little more aggressive but it seems to have flown off the hook in that respect.

As for odd behaviour... In my last game, Arabia was wandering around the map in various sections with about 5 settlers, 3 guarded by warriors. 2 settlers were naturally taken by barbs, which the arabs eventually took back. But they just kept hopping about... sometimes between the same two squares...

13. crawf0rd

crawf0rd The One and Only

You see, the moderaters don't like mean people, nor does anyone. Angry answers are bad answers.

14. Brichals

Brichals King

It could be genius. Flip the city, buy a cathedral, mosque, pagoda there if possible, and because the holy city is so close, it will flip back to hinduism in about 20 turns.

15. Sonereal

I like mean people.