Is the Civ5 modding scene dead for good and will most of the Civ5 modders move on to Civ6?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Guandao, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I get the sense that the Civ5 modding scene, in particular with new Civ releases, is on its last legs.
    I wonder if most of the major modders here will move onto Civ6. Some already have, like JFD, Sukritact (who was working with MoreCivs), Leugi (though he doesn't have his own thread), Senshi, and Firebug (who retired after his laptop broke).

It makes sense that the Civ6 modding has been slow to take on. There's a lack of modding tools for Civ6. The quality of some of the new modders in regards to leader art is questionable in my opinion. Some are good though, like Antagonise and Seelingcat (who I know only from the Steam Workshop).

I think some of the Civ5 modders won't reappear in Civ6, due to moving on with life, whether with family, work or a combination of both. These might include TarcisioCM, DJSHenninger, LastSword, Ryanjames, and Danmacsch, whose mods I enjoyed playing in Civ5.

Anyways, farewell to thee, Civ5 modding scene! You had a good run!

2. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

I'm still alive. :(

Troller0001 and sman1975 like this.
  3. LastSword

LastSword Prince

Wasn't it dead in 2014? Human is truely hermetic being. :crazyeye:

Guandao likes this.
  4. Troller0001

Troller0001 I've anxiously awaited your arrival!

Salute this fallen game. It has given us many amazing things, but as with anything else, its time ran out... Now let's hope civ6 will make its predecessor proud, with amazing mods already there and those yet to come!
    Rest in peace our friend, rest in peace :(

----
    Even though I'm definitely not a major modder, heck even considering me as a minor modder is an overstatement, I'm planning on staying on this graveyard for a little longer. Probably in the same way as before though, just helping others out where I can and maybe release some civs over the holidays (when I finally have time to actually finish stuff!).

sman1975 and Guandao like this.
  5. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

I'm modding this game. It just took me this long to get a Visual Studio install to stick.

Troller0001 and sman1975 like this.
  6. sman1975

sman1975 Emperor

I still have quite a few things I'd like to try with Civ 5. The new game is "pretty" but I'm not a fan of the cartoony graphics. Of course, I didn't start playing Civ 5 until 2015, so maybe I'll wait another few years to, uh, upgrade...

7. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

I'm still here too, as useful as a third-stringer is.

Guandao and Troller0001 like this.
  8. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I'm alive. And my video card is too old to run Civ6 anyway. So I'm going to finish my Civ5 mod. Even if there is nobody but me to play it ;)

9. Danmacsch

Danmacsch Geheimekabinetsminister

I'm still here as well - and will be for the foreseeable future. That said, I will move on to civ6 eventually (at least that's the plan), but I'm going to finish my remaining civ5 projects first.

Troller0001 likes this.
  10. Nomad or What

Nomad or What Wayfarer Supporter

I'm late to respond here, but I am sticking to CiV because VI is, well, horrible. I was hoping that Rise and Fall would fix some of the original version's glaring issues (particularly its unbelievably worthless AI) but that is not the case. Besides, CiV still looks like a modern, appealing game and I am not in love with the cartoonish feel of VI, either. Another good feature of sticking with V is that, for unit building anyways, it appears to be relatively straightforward to convert them into VI. So for me, I won't be wasting my labor by continuing to build units for CiV in the (unlikely) event that Firaxis ever fixes its stupid AI in Civ VI. I only hope that I can still get support from some of the coding gurus that have migrated to VI for assistance with my Bloodmoon TMC.

MEQ, Troller0001 and sman1975 like this.
  11. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Rumors of the death of Civ 5's modding scene are greatly exaggerated. Come to VP. Enjoy the best mods for civ, period.

G

MEQ, jarcast2, Blue Ghost and 4 others like this.
  12. SLGray

SLGray King

This sounds like a topic that has been discussed in Zoo Tycoon 2 online community, but the modding community still releases things. Also there are still Zoo Tycoon 1 designers releasing things. As long as their are players, there will be members who create things.

YINGCHENG and Troller0001 like this.
  13. Mosile

Mosile Overruler Of the Movian Empire

While the big names of the eairly 2010's move on to other things, smaller modders will take their place. Making content that they never did and maybe some that is even better than the likes of JFD, Pouiski, and the like.

I'm hoping I can team up with somebody who still greatly loves this game as much as I do and can team up to make exceptional content.

14. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

15. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

God, that's still going too? I got my start there over 10 years ago and was part of some of the big modding projects (no MMM or AD without me)

He's not Pouakai, but he IS Pouakai's Slavic cousin!

Like JFD, I haven't moved on yet either. Just with work and a masters degree in progress I have very little time left over. Still have some decent sized projects in the works

16. Danmacsch

Danmacsch Geheimekabinetsminister

17. SLGray

SLGray King

Yes, it still going. There has been many new releases by AD (new biomes, complete collection, etc.).

18. Mosile

Mosile Overruler Of the Movian Empire

I can never get your name right without looking at it. Anyways i'm glad that the better quality content makers still have many things to offer to a nearly 8 year old game,