Is the Forum worth building?

If I'm in a Lib race I like the GM for golden ages just after Lib. (anyway, winning a Lib race with Izzy is hard enough in itself) But I shall try it one these days. I do understand that it has possibilities, but it are possibilities not suiting my usual game plan. The sound of heavily promoted siege is pretty nice, though. It's really one of the best bonuses, but just on a weaker building in itself.

Yay, forums are up again :D .

Wanted to hand in later the proof, that a city can really grow to size 20 and above without any problems from emancipatioin and with nn for a Mall. This screenshot is even without the Hit-Wonders, so more Happiness would have become available through the course of the game. I'm not even sure I had all classical and ancient Happiness-resources at that time, it's mostly :) through REP, State-Religion and a Cathedral with Incense:

I never once claimed what you assume I did. Also next time try with 16 AIs.

My claim is that +3 happiness >>>> +25% GPP, even if it comes as late as the Mall.

Also you're not gong to have a cathedral in every city, and I assume you're running free religion. I would rather use malls if they allow me to stay in pacifism for longer as that means +100% GPP for many more turns.

I never once claimed what you assume I did. Also next time try with 16 AIs.

My claim is that +3 happiness >>>> +25% GPP, even if it comes as late as the Mall.

Also you're not gong to have a cathedral in every city, and I assume you're running free religion. I would rather use malls if they allow me to stay in pacifism for longer as that means +100% GPP for many more turns.

If you knew how Cathedrals work, you'd know that they only give +2 :) when running a State Religion.

And as already posted, more AIs doesn't mean more emancipation :mad: .

Also, these are the last three games you posted:

4 opponents.

2 opponents.

4 opponents.

Maybe you really should try a 16-AI-game once in a while, to at least know how it is :lol: .

Also, these are the last three games you posted:

4 opponents.

2 opponents.

4 opponents.

Maybe you really should try a 16-AI-game once in a while, to at least know how it is :lol: .

Most of those were huge maps with only a few of the AIs discovered. How is that not even blatantly obvious for a deity player when they are early BC screens? Oh wait, because you think everyone should only play on pangaea.

As already pointed out to you, I play on archipelagos too = AIs filling even a standard map with vassals = more civs in emancipation.

You really have little idea about games outside of your usual playstyles, regardless of when repeatedly told about all of the above multiple times do you? Its also funny that you advocate creating vassals in other threads for the happiness boost because +1 happiness matters a lot, but meanwhile +3 happiness from the mall is suddenly useless. Pick and choose based on age old biases and prefered playstyles.

Also the only issue with the mall = it comes too late. But Research Institutes are awesome. They both pretty much have the same singular negative.

Yes, try a Huge map with max AIs. It's not time consuming at all :mischief:

Well according to most larger maps = easier. But then they only ever show -8 or less :mad: from emancipation.

Try a full -15 next time and tell me all about how +3 happiness is useless in the end game.

Looking up the Mall, it gets :) boost from hit singles, movies and musicals, each which require a wonder to be built (by you or an AI+trade). +20%:gold: is usually meaningless because at that stage the slider is constantly at 100%. +1:food: and ~3-4:health: is nice, but pretty trivial. Probably better off just building Wealth or Research.

The Research Institute, however, have more clear and meaningful benefits.
+25%:science: (good because of 100% slider)
+2 FREE scientists (like a Great Library)
+50% spaceship production
+1 scientist slot (probably pointless due to Caste, but if not running that it's good in NE city etc)

To me it's pretty clear which building I'd rather have available.

Not sure why you say Seraiel wants everybody to play on Pangaea, because that is clearly not true considering he has played every map in the game himself, and if anything is critical of the overuse of Standard-Normal speed-Pangaea.

Not sure why you say Seraiel wants everybody to play on Pangaea, because that is clearly not true considering he has played every map in the game himself, and if anything is critical of the overuse of Standard-Normal speed-Pangaea.

This. Really, if somebody is against everybody playing Pangaea only, it's me, you could have known that if you knew what an Elite Quattromaster is.

Also: What is so hard to see about, that 1 city created into a Colony gives +1 for all cities. What's better, having 57 instead of 60 cities or building a Mall in all 60?

And you clearly overestimated what I wrote about Research Institutes. I wrote that they were "nice" . As a matter of the fact, all they actually do is allow going for early Refrigeration -> Superconductors instead of the Computers route, but at least they give :science: bonuses, so they contribute to the main goal of a Spacegame. Happiness is a minor goal solved on the way at most.

Btw. bhavv: Is Pacifism a nice civic with at least 2 defenders / city like you advocate? :lol:

I guess constructing a lot of buildings in civ4 comes from the earlier civ iterations where buildings were much more powerful.
And most of them gave a 50% boost while in civ4 it's only 25%.
Especially in SMAC for example the aerospace complex. Iirc, +2 morale for air units, 1 turn healing, 100% air defense and a bonus towards satellites.

In civ5 the player is forced to build a lot of buildings otherwise you can't construct a national wonder or a building which comes later in the game.

The granary is the most valuable building. It speeds up growth + expansion and is available very early in the game.

Well according to most larger maps = easier. But then they only ever show -8 or less :mad: from emancipation.

Try a full -15 next time and tell me all about how +3 happiness is useless in the end game.

Take out some opponents, then it will be less.... if you build war elephants instead of courthouses, like I have advised, you will have more cities, less opponents, and with 16 AI starts, still have the ability to go for a space or diplo victory, just be better positioned for it

:)

Seraiel - I though he wanted 4 units/city, at least in coastal, cause then he didn't get invaded....

SMAC! I loved that game. Peace frogs. Mindworms. Evil religous cults and that Gaia chick. Dierdre? The best game ever.

Seraiel - I though he wanted 4 units/city, at least in coastal, cause then he didn't get invaded....

Not that I agree with putting lots of defenders across all coastal cities, but Freddie just nicked an island from me with a galley (shockingly) containing two archers. The annoying thing is that hadn't I whipped a lighthouse the turn before his galley showed up, I could have got out an archer and that would have been enough.

About the 2nd time in my civ history I've seen an AI attack like this.

Top Bottom