Is the gothic subculture dead?

Does/did your high school have goths in it?

• Total voters
I haven't seen the Goths around for about 1300 years or so, so no.

Goths are obsessed with death right? Maybe they all joined the army.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW :eek:

The last cool Goth was Sarus

Styles without obvious overlap. I mean, we have plenty of emo-goths, sunshine-goths, and gangsta-goths, but nobody who is really 'goth'.
Really? Hm. Must be an American thing. We have plenty of goths in the UK who do not display "obvious overlap," at least not to the extent that it should be considered a distinct subculture, rather than modified form of the existing one. After all, surely we're not going to be so strict as to deny the "purity", if you will, of anything but the early 80s goth rock scene?
In fact, given the current trend for Victoriana, they tend to stand out more than they've done in years- that, in a large part, being thanks to the Japanese goth scene, which is huge.

After following the YouTube links on this thread I understood why Rock n' Roll died in the US. It sucks big time nowadays.

Labels are best on soup cans. High school cliques are silly. We have no subcultures at my school. There are cool and nice people, and people who aren't cool and nice, and it is all subjective.

Well I'm going to insert my penis in one tomorrow so I'm going to have to go with no Bob. Every new thread you opens seems even more mentally challenged than the last.

apparently I already made this post before by accident

that's incredibly depressing

Weren't goths trying to look dead to begin with?

You maybe onto something here.

Some people regard anyone who wears black and listens to metal to be a goth. This of course often leads to confusion, as whilst some of us who like metal also like a bit of goth or gothic influenced music, it isn't really a correct term, for example I am wearing desert combats right now, a goth would never be seen in such trousers.

Actual goth subculture still does exist, there just isn't many of them. Alot of become part of the industrial/ebm culture, and thus splintered from from 'trad-goths' as the orginal goth types have now become known.

Emo is very different from both goth and metal, and thsu irrelevant to the disussion.

Well I'm going to insert my penis in one tomorrow so I'm going to have to go with no Bob. Every new thread you opens seems even more mentally challenged than the last.
Is that because you're going out with one, or is it just a plan of action? :p

Some people regard anyone who wears black and listens to metal to be a goth. This of course often leads to confusion, as whilst some of us who like metal also like a bit of goth or gothic influenced music, it isn't really a correct term, for example I am wearing desert combats right now, a goth would never be seen in such trousers.
A lot of people do seem to regard "goth" as a suitable blanket term for a lot of alternative culture. That's not new, either- my mum got the same thing thirty years ago when she was a punk! People just never learn. :p

Still, it's better than "mosher". Never really understood what that was in the first place. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom