Is the gothic subculture dead?

Does/did your high school have goths in it?

• Total voters
When my sister was in highschool there was one very extreme Goth girl two years younger than her, which means 2 years older than me. By the time I got to highschool she had mellowed considerably, still going all out for yearbook photos and such but generally just wearing plain dark clothing and no makeup. I think there were a couple of other individuals in her grade who were sort of goth, but none as extreme. I think she was the only goth who was not even more obsessed with Japanese Anime (especially Hentai).

My first 2 years of highschool I knew a couple of Goth/Wiccan girls in my grade, but they both transferred to other schools by the end of sophomore year. (Actually, the one of these who was anorexic instead of obese may have switched to being a "vampire kid" shortly before she left. She did not wear plastic vampire fangs, but got real dental implants. She still drank massive amounts of coffee instead of fake blood though.)

During my junior and senior years there were a couple girls who were sort of goth, but as one was black and one a fairly dark skinned Latina it was harder to tell.

There were never really cliques in my highschool though. I don't think any of the goth-like individuals were close friends with each other, and most of their friends were by no means goth.

Why can't everyone just conform?

Perfection said:
That's what subcultures are for, V.

Yeah, the ironic thing is that all these subcultures that people join to evade the mainstream and "be different" have their own set of rules, clothing, etc. that you need to conform with in order to fit in... and if you don't, you're usually looked down upon. I'm sure the irony is lost in most who participate.

Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

I think it's stupid when people don't conform just for the sake of non-conforming. Seriously, do whatever the crap you want and don't give a damn what other people think. For rizzle.

I think it's stupid when people don't conform just for the sake of non-conforming. Seriously, do whatever the crap you want and don't give a damn what other people think. For rizzle.

It can seem a bit childish, sure. On the other hand it's a bit childish of society to treat someone differently just because they dress in black and have weird make up(although I suppose the Goths use this uniform because they want to be treated differently, so all in all I'm not sure who's the most unreasonable).

Yeah, the ironic thing is that all these subcultures that people join to evade the mainstream and "be different" have their own set of rules, clothing, etc. that you need to conform with in order to fit in... and if you don't, you're usually looked down upon. I'm sure the irony is lost in most who participate.
Have you ever actually talked to any member of these subcultures who was over the age of 18? There's usually more in the way of self-awareness there, and less interest in petty dissent.

Edit: This ended up a bit condescending, sorry. I suppose it's a slightly sensitive issue for me, given that I am of a subcultural persuasion m'good self, so I tend to take generalisations a bit to heart.

Have you ever actually talked to any member of these subcultures who was over the age of 18? There's usually more in the way of self-awareness there, and less interest in petty dissent.

Of course it depends on the subculture in question and the people you are talking to. Generally yes, the older, the more mature and accepting of people who don't care.

Some people regard anyone who wears black and listens to metal to be a goth. This of course often leads to confusion, as whilst some of us who like metal also like a bit of goth or gothic influenced music, it isn't really a correct term, for example I am wearing desert combats right now, a goth would never be seen in such trousers.

Actual goth subculture still does exist, there just isn't many of them. Alot of become part of the industrial/ebm culture, and thus splintered from from 'trad-goths' as the orginal goth types have now become known.

Emo is very different from both goth and metal, and thsu irrelevant to the disussion.

listening to metal and wearing black doesn't count. I did that in the 80's (long before goth was around). It was what Metallica wore on their concerts. Metallica is not goth.

I do find it curious the sub-culture died so quickly. Although maybe that's just because I live in the desert. And wearing black all the time is very friggin' hot. I know, because I used to wear black all the time (I wasn't goth, just a metalhead). It was just a quick fad that died out when Marylin Manson popularity died out. Yes people say he isn't real goth. But you can't argue when his popularity faded, so did the whole goth thing.

Top Bottom