1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Ikhanda (Shaka's UB) Really THAT cool?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by thelibra, Oct 18, 2007.

1. thelibra

thelibra Future World Dictator

Up until about 5 minutes ago, I was convinced that Shaka's UB was worthless. After all, 20% off of the maintenance fee for Barracks would be like, what, 0.2 gold? Now, in reading another post, I see no buildings at all contribute to the maintenance cost. Only cities themselves. I go back, reread the unit description, and it clearly says "-20% maintenance"...

Does that mean -20% maintenance for the entire city??? Is it really THAT cool? With a courthouse I'd only be paying 30% of the maintenance costs? Good lord! Imagine if an Organized leader had that building! What'd that be... 15%?!?!

Someone want to clarify this? That building almost gives Shaka a third trait (Organized) it seems. What would an organized leader with a courthouse have for the percent of paid maintenance versus Shaka with a Courthouse and an Ikhanda?

2. eewallace

eewallace King

Yes, it is really a good UB (looks great, too). I had totally overlooked Shaka but I was doing random maps and leaders a few weeks ago and drew him and ended up with a great economy and defensive army that kept my neighbors docile, and ultimately a space race victory!

3. lulu135

lulu135 Warlord

Yes it is that cool, but it has nothing to do with organized, which lowers civics cost, not city cost.

But it's not as cool as Holy Roman Empire, which gets 75% of city cost with their special courthouse.

4. Larklight

Larklight Warlord

Very good for keeping Corperation costs down, second only to the rathaus

5. Thyrwyn

Thyrwyn Guardian at the Gate

And Shaka's Aggressive - double production when building Ikhandas, to boot :)

6. Peepers

Peepers On the road again

Ikhanda costs 10 more hammers than barracks, so Shaka pays 30H for his building vs the normal 50H. A royal bargain in my book!:goodjob:

7. thelibra

thelibra Future World Dictator

I had no idea!!! This changes everything.

I must now go play Shaka.

I'll see y'all tomorrow with my findings!

8. MrFrodo

MrFrodo Warlord

Jeepers...!

9. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Hence why shaka was the number 1 leader in Warlord MP. Combine that with traits and a UU which are designed for an early rush and you have a leader that can outfight almost anything.

10. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

Shaka is the king of early expansion.

Aggressive + extremely mobile UU for fast and strong armies, Ikhandas and Expansive to sustain your empire early in the game.

11. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

Every building increases the maintenance fee? I didn't know that.

12. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

Shaka is probably my pick for the best leader in the game, and yes, I would rate the Ikhanda as the best UB. I'd put it ahead of the rathaus as well, purely on its own merits. That sort of maintenance reduction is fantastic, and getting it right from the start with a cheap building really allows a stronger early game that more than beats out the rathaus' extra 5%.

What really pushes it over the edge is Shaka's absolutely perfect synergy. For starters, he's one of only about 3 leaders who gets a production bonus on their UB, and 30 hammers for that sort of bonus is an incredible steal. Plus you're getting a barracks out of it too!
    It works great with expansive, because Expansive favours more spread out REXing, and also because Ikhanda+Granary is only 60 hammers and gets a new city up to speed at lightning pace.
    It works great with the Impi (the best UU in the game!), who start getting produced at a time when multiple barracks are otherwise a luxury. And ikhanda+cheap granaries+extra workers for chopping=a powerful elite army whipped out in record time with minimal detriment to the empire.
    It also means you can go further afield to grab all-important copper for Impis, without the maintenance being quite such a drag. And the impi itself is perfect for a big, sprawling empire.
    And now that the bug is fixed, it works beautifully with Nationhood, Shaka's perfect civic.

Shaka is so good it's almost criminal :D

13. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

Shhhh... keep it down... Faraxis might hear and nerf him... :p...

14. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Prince

The Ikhanda's nice, but IMO it doesn't compare to the civs with specialized courthouses.

Courthouses reduce maintenance AND provide +2spy points (hrm, no smiley yet for the spy points) AND the specialized ones are cheaper or also provide happiniess or ....

Those buildings are great and my new favorites. The Ikhanda's certainly nice and fits well with a warmongering strategy for Shaka, though.

15. Welnic

Welnic Emperor

It did in Civ I, II, and III. Not in IV.

16. Civfan333

Civfan333 full metal alchemist

Yeah. Shaka really is super good. I think he's the best leader in the game. (Although Idk anything about the BTS leaders because I don't own it yet:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :()

17. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

I reckon the Expansive nerf in bts was probably primarily because of Shaka :D
    But they just ended up making him even stronger with the ikhanda bugfix, woodsman III, better muskets, extra foresty starts, and corporations.
    You can't keep Shaka down!

18. kniteowl

kniteowl Pirate Captain :P

I reckon if they do make another expansion they may change his traits... I'm not sure what though but they'll definitely not give him Aggressive, Expansive is questionable...

I wonder how he'd play with Napoleon's Traits (Cha/Org)... *goes checks unrestricted Leaders* :p lol

19. Permanganate

Permanganate Chieftain

Oh yes it does, IMO. :) The three Courthouse UBs are the Sacrificial Altar, Ziggurat, and Rathaus. The Sac Altar comes long after all the important whipping is done, and its cost decrease isn't much. The Ziggurat comes earlier, which is a decent benefit, but its cost decrease is again not important. The Rathaus is an excellent long-term building, but the Ikhanda does have one thing going for it - it is available an age and a half earlier. You can afford to expand faster and capture cities instead of razing them. This has a massive knock-on effect on the rest of the game.

To sum up, the Rathaus is very good, but the Ikhanda is incredible. You can get bigger much earlier, and -70% maintenance isn't much worse than -75%. It's an awesome building for every game except OCC.

20. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

*giggle* yup, nationhood is good with shaka. but i just love games where you've met him, but not scouted out his territory. because then you know what's coming ... "the pyramids have been built in a distant land" ... "shaka zulu has adopted police state" :lol:

the first time i ever used police state it was after capturing the mids nappy had so sweetly built for me. i was spiritual so i figured i'd see what it's like. i was zillions of techs away from fascism, and i thought of it as "pulling a shaka".

i'm really bad at early wars but shaka is really cool. impis are fantastic, and the mobility promo stays when you upgrade them. they don't go obsolete for a while if you plan it right, and with ikhandas i can sometimes afford to keep a stack of impis sitting around doing nothing, just waiting (and waiting, and waiting) to grow up to be mech infantry ;).

i really do think the expansive nerf was due to shaka in MP. makes me sad, since i only play SP, so why nerf me? *pout* he's still worth it tho, because the impis love to fight. they have the best dance in the game!