1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Military Industrial Complex the biggest Welfare Queen in the USA?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Murky, Aug 8, 2013.

1. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Because welfare has gone from 'helping people to help themselves' to being one of the most fraud ridden, exploited and frankly worthless programs we have today.

Once upon a time, being on welfare was truly something that helped people to help themselves. It carried a stigma, and rightly so, and that stigma also led people to get back on their feet working as soon as possible.

That's no longer the case today as it has lost much of its stigma and has simply become the refuge of those not desiring to work (i.e. the unproductive) and be completely content to have others fund their 'welfare queen' status.

The program needs to be re-worked from top to bottom and we need a way to ensure that those that truly need help get it; while those human leeches that are merely intent to siphoning off the rest of us get a boot in the ass.

Because it simply isn't as simple as that. I've donated, I've given, and I've spent more than plenty of time helping feed homeless people.

Some people need that help. Absolutely. And we should be helping them.

A lot of people are simply opportunists that take that help, exploit the caring nature of others and use it to simply pay for their desire to be lazy while living off others.

They key is how do we help one and deal with the other? Simply buying more food stamps (which has already been at record levels in the last decade) isn't the answer.

2. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

So welfare has become like the military industrial complex?

3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Knowledge is one thing. Skill is another.

4. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Welfare is in the preamble of the Constitution and its 'promoting the general welfare' - and its not a power, its a preamble. ;) I believe "welfare" as we'd call it was a state matter, although it wasn't long before politicians started trying to use the treasury for charity. Apparently some hotel in Baltimore? burned down leaving a bunch of people homeless and Congress voted on sending money. Dont know if it passed but Madison voted against it based on the absence of that power in the Constitution.

The problem with welfare is its effect on poverty, rather than getting people out of poverty it encourages poverty by replacing fathers.

And when Congress does something that backfires, all the states suffer. Like the drug war, not just a failure, but a disaster.

Thats the socially conservative argument and I see their point... Welfare is probably best done as locally as possible.

Frankly I'd think tax payers would be slightly ticked off subsidizing other states where they have no vote, thats a bit like taxation without representation.

And I'd slash the military budget and end corporate welfare

:mad:

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Documentation to replace you is aimed at someone of comparable competence.

All the intelligent hard-working people with jobs should be pretty embarrassed that they're letting themselves be exploited by the lazy stupid welfare cheats.

6. bhsup

bhsup Deity

That's the kind of silliness that almost gets high school chemistry teachers killed.

7. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

"That's the kind of silliness" that actually separates professional software developers from the wannabes.

8. bhsup

bhsup Deity

9. Formaldehyde

Actually, the show made it quite clear that what was needed was a professional chemist instead of a "cook" who simply followed instructions:

10. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Spoiler :
    Tell that to Gale, who had to be plugged by Jessie to save Walt's life after Gale was confident he could replicate Walt's work.

11. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Did one of them fire you once, is that how you know? Where did you get your graduate degree from again Forma?

12. MobBoss

I think everyone should be embarrassed about welfare cheats. It hurts the program -it hurts people.

13. Formaldehyde

Where did you get your graduate degree from that gives you the expertise to directly contradict the Chairman of the JCS and other experts?

It is clear you know as much about the software development industry as you do arms subsidies to foreign countries. But if an issue regarding the logistics of supplying a surface ship ever arises, I'm sure you can provide invaluable knowledge regarding what effort is actually involved in providing the proper amounts of toilet paper and various other sundries.

14. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Someone above made a mistake. This is not about knowledge workers, this is about skill workers. Skills that take many years of education, training, and experience to master. Welding the hull of a submarine is not something you can learn to do in a year. And it has to be zero defects the first time out.

15. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Are there statistics you have available to show welfare being handed out to those aiming to game the system versus those who are really in need of it?

And perhaps a comparison from the old times you spoke of?
    A complete overhaul will cost money. Are you ok with an investment like tax increase to overhaul the system if it leads to a more efficient system, which in time might lead to a cut in spending on that issue?

And what kind of overhaul do you have in mind?

16. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

So what I am gleaning from your evasiveness is despite your fetish degrading every profession under the sun you don't actually have one yourself? That explains a lot, especially your need to spam random google results instead of articulating ideas for yourself :)

It's kind of odd that you are so unaccomplished given its your position you can replicate a lifetime of SubSafe QA welding experience with an afternoon of light google searching. why are you not an astronaut again? It's too bad google wasn't around when you failed to qualify for military service, you could have mastered carrier trap landings over coffee that morning.

17. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I disagree.

Write up some specs and documentation, and then follow the specs.

If I had good documentation, the appropriate equipment, and an arbitrary amount of free time, I could single-handedly build a submarine.

This doesn't make much sense. The only reason experience is useful is in order to learn from mistakes. Are you saying SubSafe QA welders spend an entire lifetime botching jobs?

18. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I think everyone should be embarrassed about the bloat in the military industrial complex. It hurts the program -it hurts people.

19. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Retired Moderator

A lot of the recent comments show that people who don't know anything about certain skills are apt to think they can learn it all without professional assistance.

I'm highly dubious if those claims.

20. MobBoss

But its simply not welfare.

Nice parrot there though. :goodjob:

Want a cracker?