Is the Military Industrial Complex the biggest Welfare Queen in the USA?

So we are in agreement that we waste too much taxpayer money on the military industrial complex?

If we are in agreement that we spend too much on welfare as well, then sure. And fwiw, that has been reduced more than a bit here lately.

However, I'd say we spend too much on just about everything.

If we are in agreement that we spend too much on welfare as well, then sure. And fwiw, that has been reduced more than a bit here lately.

However, I'd say we spend too much on just about everything.
Sure, I agree we spend too much for farmers not to grow things.

Because welfare has gone from 'helping people to help themselves' to being one of the most fraud ridden, exploited and frankly worthless programs we have today.

Once upon a time, being on welfare was truly something that helped people to help themselves. It carried a stigma, and rightly so, and that stigma also led people to get back on their feet working as soon as possible.
Do you mind linking to something verifiable to back up your first paragraph?

The second paragraph - that stigma on welfare is still there. I'm not sure why you think it isn't to be honest. This comes across as empty rhetoric to me.

That's no longer the case today as it has lost much of its stigma and has simply become the refuge of those not desiring to work (i.e. the unproductive) and be completely content to have others fund their 'welfare queen' status.
You don't really know how the welfare system works then. I'm not going to say it's impossible to cheat it, but it's damn hard. We don't have a European-style 'free money forever' welfare system, you have to put effort into finding a job every single week to continue getting payments and guess what? The money runs out after a set period of time. As for other benefits for housing, food and medicine, well that varies greatly from state to state. However, I'm not really willing to talk about people 'not deserving' the basic necessities of life.

The program needs to be re-worked from top to bottom and we need a way to ensure that those that truly need help get it; while those human leeches that are merely intent to siphoning off the rest of us get a boot in the ass.
I agree 110%, the whole system needs to be reworked. In my opinion, it should focus more on getting the unemployed training so that they are actually hirable in different industries instead of simply making them look for work, period.

A lot of people are simply opportunists that take that help, exploit the caring nature of others and use it to simply pay for their desire to be lazy while living off others.

They key is how do we help one and deal with the other? Simply buying more food stamps (which has already been at record levels in the last decade) isn't the answer.
Because they were needed, we went through the worst recessions since the 30's dude. It's not like the rates of SNAP recipients rose because Obamanation destroying our liberties givin out the food stamps and the Obama phones to everyone.

That said, I take your point, we should be focusing on how to get people off of dependency of handouts and welfare. We should be trying to put together programs that focus on growing the economy and making sure the less fortunate among us are prepared to go out and get those jobs.

To get to there from here I think we should put aside the 'welfare queen' rhetoric first. It's really hard for someone who approaches the problem from the other side of the aisle like myself to even take your words at face value when they're prefaced in such repulsive terms. That's exactly the kind of rhetoric that's helped wear down the gears of government and given us deadlock when we need action.

I disagree.

Write up some specs and documentation, and then follow the specs.

If I had good documentation, the appropriate equipment, and an arbitrary amount of free time, I could single-handedly build a submarine.
Good luck with that.

In Zelig's defense, he did say "arbitrary amount of time" which is pretty vague. He could well have meant the decades it would take to master the crafts necessary to do what he claims. It's not like he said he could just finish an apprenticeship welding program and be qualified to do the pressure welds on a submarine.

Oh, I do agree, and I really doubt that's what he meant. But benefit of the doubt and all that.

As though craftsmen will suddenly forget how to weld...

Again, nobody has welded a new nuclear reactor pressure vessel in the past 30 years. Do you think those who are currently doing so are incompetent or any less qualified than the welders 30 years ago?

A assumed they had just hired you, once you were done with your moon mission and those hobby vacuum tubes you were building.

Seriously, if you would stop wasting your time boring us to death mining irrelevant articles you can't understand and were googling pressure vessel welding surly those reactors would be done by now.

When are you going to start retailing Greek fire?

Attachments

• ALIENS.jpg
    ALIENS.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 249
In Zelig's defense, he did say "arbitrary amount of time" which is pretty vague. He could well have meant the decades it would take to master the crafts necessary to do what he claims. It's not like he said he could just finish an apprenticeship welding program and be qualified to do the pressure welds on a submarine.

This just sounds like you have a low opinion of welders. I'd be pretty worried about having hired a welder who was somehow not qualified after 6000+ hours of experience.

Yet you're saying that with proper documentation, 6000+ hours of experience is superfluous.

This just sounds like you have a low opinion of welders. I'd be pretty worried about having hired a welder who was somehow not qualified after 6000+ hours of experience.

No, in fact just the opposite. Its you who seem to have a low opinion of them, presuming to suggest that you could master a skill that can take decades to get right to the point of being able to work on sub hulls. You're acting as though it's just a matter of having the tools, reading a welding for dummies book, and getting to work. It's not.

No, in fact just the opposite. Its you who seem to have a low opinion of them, presuming to suggest that you could master a skill that can take decades to get right to the point of being able to work on sub hulls. You're acting as though it's just a matter of having the tools, reading a welding for dummies book, and getting to work. It's not.

Yeah, it pretty much is.

I wouldn't hire anyone to work on my sub hulls if it took them decades to figure out welding.

That's why you aren't in charge of building submarines or anything else :)

I am in charge of building complex systems. Nobody on my team has decades of experience with anything relevant.

Of all the non-work related stuff I've built (including carpentry, computer assembly, soldering, mechanic work, flooring, plumbing, roofing) for myself, it's all gone fine despite a total lack of experience.

You have to understand that Pat is part of an organization that has many decades of experience in falling short of expectations. We can't risk losing that through inactivity.

I am in charge of building complex systems. Nobody on my team has decades of experience with anything relevant.

Of all the non-work related stuff I've built (including carpentry, computer assembly, soldering, mechanic work, flooring, plumbing, roofing) for myself, it's all gone fine despite a total lack of experience.

What complex system? Is it in the same ball game of building submarines. Do you make it a point of avoiding hiring those worthless over priced experianced expert craftsmen? How many youtube videos do you make them watch before working on energized circuits?