1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Military Industrial Complex the biggest Welfare Queen in the USA?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Murky, Aug 8, 2013.

1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

So we are in agreement that we waste too much taxpayer money on the military industrial complex?

2. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

If we are in agreement that we spend too much on welfare as well, then sure. And fwiw, that has been reduced more than a bit here lately.

However, I'd say we spend too much on just about everything.

3. JollyRoger

Sure, I agree we spend too much for farmers not to grow things.

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Do you mind linking to something verifiable to back up your first paragraph?

The second paragraph - that stigma on welfare is still there. I'm not sure why you think it isn't to be honest. This comes across as empty rhetoric to me.

You don't really know how the welfare system works then. I'm not going to say it's impossible to cheat it, but it's damn hard. We don't have a European-style 'free money forever' welfare system, you have to put effort into finding a job every single week to continue getting payments and guess what? The money runs out after a set period of time. As for other benefits for housing, food and medicine, well that varies greatly from state to state. However, I'm not really willing to talk about people 'not deserving' the basic necessities of life.

I agree 110%, the whole system needs to be reworked. In my opinion, it should focus more on getting the unemployed training so that they are actually hirable in different industries instead of simply making them look for work, period.

Because they were needed, we went through the worst recessions since the 30's dude. It's not like the rates of SNAP recipients rose because Obamanation destroying our liberties givin out the food stamps and the Obama phones to everyone.

That said, I take your point, we should be focusing on how to get people off of dependency of handouts and welfare. We should be trying to put together programs that focus on growing the economy and making sure the less fortunate among us are prepared to go out and get those jobs.

To get to there from here I think we should put aside the 'welfare queen' rhetoric first. It's really hard for someone who approaches the problem from the other side of the aisle like myself to even take your words at face value when they're prefaced in such repulsive terms. That's exactly the kind of rhetoric that's helped wear down the gears of government and given us deadlock when we need action.

Good luck with that.

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

It's never been a particular impediment in the past.

6. bhsup

bhsup Deity

In Zelig's defense, he did say "arbitrary amount of time" which is pretty vague. He could well have meant the decades it would take to master the crafts necessary to do what he claims. It's not like he said he could just finish an apprenticeship welding program and be qualified to do the pressure welds on a submarine.

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It was still a dubious claim.

8. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Oh, I do agree, and I really doubt that's what he meant. But benefit of the doubt and all that.

9. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

same here :goodjob:

10. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

As though craftsmen will suddenly forget how to weld...

Again, nobody has welded a new nuclear reactor pressure vessel in the past 30 years. Do you think those who are currently doing so are incompetent or any less qualified than the welders 30 years ago?

11. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

A assumed they had just hired you, once you were done with your moon mission and those hobby vacuum tubes you were building.

Seriously, if you would stop wasting your time boring us to death mining irrelevant articles you can't understand and were googling pressure vessel welding surly those reactors would be done by now.

When are you going to start retailing Greek fire?

12. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Attached Files:

13. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

This just sounds like you have a low opinion of welders. I'd be pretty worried about having hired a welder who was somehow not qualified after 6000+ hours of experience.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yet you're saying that with proper documentation, 6000+ hours of experience is superfluous.

15. bhsup

bhsup Deity

No, in fact just the opposite. Its you who seem to have a low opinion of them, presuming to suggest that you could master a skill that can take decades to get right to the point of being able to work on sub hulls. You're acting as though it's just a matter of having the tools, reading a welding for dummies book, and getting to work. It's not.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Yeah, it pretty much is.

I wouldn't hire anyone to work on my sub hulls if it took them decades to figure out welding.

17. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

That's why you aren't in charge of building submarines or anything else :)

18. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I am in charge of building complex systems. Nobody on my team has decades of experience with anything relevant.

Of all the non-work related stuff I've built (including carpentry, computer assembly, soldering, mechanic work, flooring, plumbing, roofing) for myself, it's all gone fine despite a total lack of experience.

19. JollyRoger

You have to understand that Pat is part of an organization that has many decades of experience in falling short of expectations. We can't risk losing that through inactivity.

20. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

What complex system? Is it in the same ball game of building submarines. Do you make it a point of avoiding hiring those worthless over priced experianced expert craftsmen? How many youtube videos do you make them watch before working on energized circuits?