1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the new one an expansion or completely new game?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by Ulyaoth, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Ulyaoth

Ulyaoth Emperor

Like is it an expansion adding new things to the regular game but can be played separate, or is it a completely different game just with civilization gameplay? Like will you basically be doing the same things as in civ, just stuck in a certain time zone?

2. NHJ BV

NHJ BV El Presidente

It's a completely different game. It's built on the Civ4 engine, however, and they use the Civ4 name for markteing purposes.

3. i_diavolorosso

i_diavolorosso Prince

It's really a different game.
    The civilization 4 title, i think just for marketing purpose

4. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

It's a rerun of the original.

That was a new game using the Civ I core - this is exactly the same.

If it's reassurance you need, I played the original Col to 3 o'clock in the morning as much as Civ I.............

5. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

It hardly seems like an 'entirely new' game considering that it appears to be turn-based and has most of the essential mechanics of Civ4.

It looks a lot like a professional mod to me, not necessarily a bad thing if it's not going to cost too much or demand that I get a whole new computer to be able to run it.

6. Sueff

Sueff Warlord

That's exactly what I would've said. The game is more like a turn based Anno 1602 and its sequels (I think it's named 1602 A.D. in the US). You can download FreeCol (just search it on google or wiki) to get a glimpse of what the gameplay will be like.
    Sugar or fur won't give you +1 happy in every city attached but will be traded or made into rum and coats and then traded.

7. general-jcl

general-jcl King

Yes you're right. I think it's a professional mod.
    What worries me on the other hand is the exploration phase.
    In civ4 "big maps" are much smaller than in civ3 and there have a lot less cities also.
    A game on the colonization, that includes a "new world" discovered in 20 turns would be uninteresting for me even if diplomacy and economy are better than in original version... :rolleyes:

8. Greybriar

Greybriar Prince

Since Civilization IV: Colonization is a stand-alone product, I would not consider it a mod.

But even if it were, I liked the original Colonization so much I'd buy it anyway. :love:

9. Pigmerikan Mao

Pigmerikan Mao Chieftain

You don't need Civilization IV to play or anything, it's just the same engine with revamped graphics. That's what I've been told anyways.

10. Pigmerikan Mao

Pigmerikan Mao Chieftain

You don't need Civilization IV to play or anything, it's just the same engine with revamped graphics. That's what I've been told anyways.

11. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

If by essential mechanic you mean moving units and exploring the map it would be true.

But everything else is completely different!
    From the way cities are built, to the economy, production and colonist management.

12. Saarud

Saarud Warlord

It's a standalone expansion. Expansion comes in two different shapes... standalones or just regular expansion. The only thing that differs is that standalones includes all the executables and everything else you need so that the original game is unneeded. While regular expansions just adds and/or changes stuff you still need the basic thingies from the original game.

While it's tempting to call it a mod basicly every potential expansion to Civ 4could be considered a mod since Civ 4 is extremely moddable... and that's just a good thing. :)

No they use Sid Meiers name for marketing... they been doing that for along time now and it does seems to be working. He is at best just an advicer nowadays.

13. bob bobato

bob bobato L'imparfait

Is 'civ 4:colonization' part of the civ' or colonization' series? For example, if they ever decided to make a new colonization game-other than 'civ4: colonisation', with no relation to civ- would it be 'colonization II' or 'colonization III'?

14. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Civ 4: Colonization is "remake" of Colonization, so next game could be either be called Col2 or Col3 or maybe something different.

15. GeneralN20

GeneralN20 Chieftain

The gameplay was not hard to understand in the original Col. It's somewhat different from the usual Civ. gameplay, but good in its uniqueness. It took me about 2 hours to effectively understand most of it but, then again, I'm a slow learner. ;)

16. Greybriar

Greybriar Prince

If it were simply Sid Meier's name that was used for marketing, they wouldn't have included Civilization IV. Instead they named it Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization. So they are using both.

Not that it matters, but I would be just as happy if they called it Colonization II without any mention made of Sid or Civ4. And that's my two coppers' worth.

17. Saarud

Saarud Warlord

You're right it really doesn't matter, however if it would matter I would say something like: Well it is an expansion to Civilization 4 so no wonder that's in the name. Sid Meiers name pop up in every game they make since many years back and it is nowadays just a trademark for Firaxis.

18. Captain Pugwash

Captain Pugwash Warlord

I hope it feels like a different game in some way from Civ4 when you play it. I would be really disappointed if it just turns out that you start with a pioneer on a ship instead of a settler on land and then then the gameplay is much the same as Civ4. It has to be quite a bit different to get my interest. I'm not sure a few changes to the economic model are enough. You tend to get that anyway every time Civ has a new release.

19. Lubricus

Lubricus Explorer

If you take a look at this forum, you'll see that even many of the active posters here don't remember Colonization. So while the original game is a fond memory (at least!) for us old-timers, a large chunk of the potential buyer mass will need more than just the "Colonization" name to become interested.

20. Honolulu Blue

Honolulu Blue Chieftain

Well, they kinda had to do something, considering the original game was fully titled Sid Meier's Colonization