Is the Pope a jerk?

Winner

Diverse in Unity
NY Times:

Daunting Task for Pope Among Secular Czechs

PRAGUE — As Pope Benedict XVI arrived in the Czech Republic on Saturday on a three-day pilgrimage aimed at battling the forces of secularism, religious leaders warned that he faced a daunting challenge in a largely secular nation.

When the pope comes to town, a city usually pulls out all the stops. Not so here in the Czech capital, where banners heralding the pope’s visit were all but absent. The local newspapers that highlighted the trip seemed more preoccupied with the pope’s penchant for bright red loafers than with the substance of his religious mission.

“If the pope wants to create a religious revival in Europe, there is no worse place he could come to than the Czech Republic, where no one believes in anything,” said Jaroslav Plesl, a self-confessed lapsed Catholic who is deputy editor of Lidove Noviny, a leading daily newspaper here. “Add to that the fact that the pope is German and socially conservative and he might as well be an alien here.”

Twenty years after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Velvet Revolution that overthrew Communism in Czechoslovakia, the pope is visiting what many religious observers, unfairly or not, consider the ground zero of religious apathy in Europe. Vatican officials said that he had chosen the Czech Republic for a mission central to his papacy: fomenting a continentwide spiritual revolt against the secularism, hedonism and moral relativism that he has warned is plaguing modern European life.

The pope touched down in Prague after a send-off from Rome’s Ciampino Airport by Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, whose popularity among Roman Catholics has dropped after a summer of sex scandals.

At a welcome ceremony at the Ruzyne Airport here, the pope lauded the fall of the Berlin Wall as a “watershed” in world history, while underlining the toll of 40 years of political repression. “A particular tragedy for this land was the ruthless attempt by the government of that time to silence the voice of the church,” he said.

On his first trip here as pope, Benedict faces inevitable comparisons with Pope John Paul II, who in 1990 made Prague his first stop in the former Eastern Bloc after the fall of Communism.

Yet while John Paul, who was Polish, is revered for his role in helping to overthrow Communism, many Czechs said they were skeptical of Benedict, 82, who is widely viewed as being out of touch with contemporary concerns.

According to the latest census, fewer than three million of the country’s 10.5 million people identify themselves as Roman Catholics.

Also casting a shadow over the visit is the issue of church property confiscated under Communism and given to the state, which Roman Catholic Church officials value at about $15 billion. In 2008, the government drafted a bill calling for one-third of that sum to be paid to the church, with the balance paid over 70 years. But the bill was never passed by Parliament.

The Rev. Tomas Halik, a Roman Catholic leader who was secretly ordained under Communism and now lectures at Charles University in Prague, noted that the repression of the Roman Catholic Church during the cold war had given the church a certain moral authority because religious adherence was viewed as a cultural rebellion against the government.

He added that while some traditionalists and religious intellectuals were energized by the pope’s visit, many Czechs inhabited a “spiritual desert.”

“A majority of people have no interest in the pope’s visit and are more concerned about traffic congestion,” he said.

On Saturday, Benedict is to visit the Infant of Prague, a popular religious icon in the city’s Church of Our Lady Victorious. President Vaclav Klaus greeted him at the airport, and Benedict will meet later with Vaclav Havel, the former president who led the Velvet Revolution in 1989.

The main event of the pope’s visit is an open-air Mass in Brno on Sunday in the country’s Roman Catholic heartland. During the trip, a group called Condom Positive said it planned to distribute condoms with a likeness of the pope and the question, “Papa said no! And You?”

Benedict is also scheduled to celebrate a Mass in Stara Boleslav, which is about 15 miles northeast of the capital, in honor of the country’s patron saint, St. Wenceslas. Throughout, he is expected to emphasize the moral imperative that the Continent rediscover its religious roots.

Religious experts have noted that the Czechs’ abiding religious skepticism stretches to the 15th century, when Jan Hus, a revolutionary preacher, preached against what he saw as the corrupted practices of the church at a time when indulgences absolving sins were up for sale. Hus, whose teachings anticipated the Protestant Reformation, was burned at the stake and is a hero to many Czechs. In 1999, John Paul called Hus’s violent death “a sorrowful page” in Czech history.

Czech antipathy for the Roman Catholic Church was fanned further during the Austrian-Hungarian Empire in the 19th and early 20th centuries, religious scholars say, when the church supported the emperor’s efforts to repress Czech nationalism.

After the Communists seized power in 1948, they persecuted many priests, who could fulfill their pastoral duties only with the approval of the government. Demonized by the state, many were forced to go underground.

Father Halik argued that Benedict’s fierce intelligence and moral resolve made him a worthy opponent of pervasive secularism. But he was philosophical about the chances of his success. “The reanimation of the Catholic Church is a long-term goal,” he said. “And even the pope can’t work miracles that quickly.”

Rachel Donadio contributed reporting from Vatican City.

So, according to people in the Richard Dawkins thread, coming to some place trying to convince people about your truth is a sign of jerkiness.

The Pope came to this country to combat secularism and atheism (among other things), does it mean he's "an arrogant jerk", "arrogant fool", "jackass" or "arrogant douche"? (The words are not mine. I'd just like to add that dumber people often find clever people arrogant.)

I don't think so. He's of course wrong as a believer, but I wouldn't call him like that because he's trying to persuade people about his truth. Funny that the other side isn't willing to extend the same tolerance to Dawkins and other atheists who are vocally opposed to religion and it's role in the society.

Discuss, if you want.

The pope's job is to be a jerk towards heathens and heretics.

Well he's masquerading around as God's annointed, while telling others to shape up. Certainly he should look at himself first. Calling him a jerk is letting him off the hook easy.

Well he's masquerading around as God's annointed, while telling others to shape up. Certainly he should look at himself first. Calling him a jerk is letting him off the hook easy.

I ask people who are not getting the point of this thread to leave it without commenting, thank you.

he LOOKS evil, I thought Pope John Paul II was cool

Yes, wanting to abolish secularism and establish theocracy is pretty jerk like. Not to mention there's nothing more douchetastic than being an 82 year old virgin giving out family planning advice.

Winner, presenting an argument against secularism is not being a jerk, just like presenting an argument against religion isn't on itself being a jerk. It's the manner in which the argument is presented that may cause one to be labeled a jerk.

YES.:D

That's a clergyman's point in life... To hate Muslims.:p (That looks like a good signature, doesn't it? I won't change. I like my one better.:p

Yeah, he kind of is a jerk. But not because he's making a mission for the Czech Republic. (am Catholic)

He doesn't come across nearly as condescending as Dawkins IMO. I think his mission is a bit douche-y, yes, but I don't find him personally distasteful.

The reign of John Paul II changed a lot of opinions about the Pope - a lot of non-Catholics found him quite inspirational.

He doesn't come across nearly as condescending as Dawkins IMO. I think his mission is a bit douche-y, yes, but I don't find him personally distasteful.

Trying to save the souls of unbelievers is a douchey mission? :confused:

The reign of John Paul II changed a lot of opinions about the Pope - a lot of non-Catholics found him quite inspirational.

I am not religious and I kinda cried to myself when John Paul II died. He was a great human being. :)

Is the bible thumper who continually knocks on your door in the morning, distributing pamphlets and asking you to come to a church meeting, despite you telling him repeatedly that you don't want to convert and wish to be left in peace a jerk?

If so, then yes, the Pope is a jerk, because what he's doing is a glorified version of the same thing, only on a nation-wide scale.

Is the bible thumper who continually knocks on your door in the morning, distributing pamphlets and asking you to come to a church meeting, despite you telling him repeatedly that you don't want to convert and wish to be left in peace a jerk?

If so, then yes, the Pope is a jerk, because what he's doing is a glorified version of the same thing, only on a nation-wide scale.

when was the last time A. Pope came to the Czech Republic

Top Bottom